User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

seeking help with HP 6540 printer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
seeking help with HP 6540 printer
needhelp

2005-08-31, 06:43

First off, let me state that my computer literacy extends only a little way beyond hitting the power button to turn the thing on.

I just got an HP 6540 printer to go with my five-year-old iMac (OS 9.2.2) and am having trouble getting a QuarkXPress document (simple forms I use for work; just black lines and some text) to print.

I keep getting an error message that says it's unable to load the printer driver and that I should increase the preferred memory in the Get Info dialog. If that doesn't work, I should quit all other applications or reinstall the printer software.

I increased the preferred memory to the point that other applications couldn't even be opened (900,000 K) and kept getting the same message, and have run the install program three times, but still keep getting the same message.

The hookup is via USB and I've made sure the connection's secure on both ends and that AppleTalk is on. The sample image that can be printed from the CD comes out looking great.

I've searched both the hard drive and the software CD for "printer driver" and come up with nothing.

The user guide mentions that there should be a printer icon on the desktop, but I have never had one appear.

When I go to Chooser and select the HP icon, it gives me a setup option and a connect option. The setup option only allows for duplex unit (installed/not installed) and roll feeder (I can't click on it apparently because I don't have/need it). The connect option asks me to enter the network address for the desired printer, but when I enter my computer's IP address I get an error message stating that the selected network printer is not available.

After going through every file on the hard drive that has the word "printer" in it, I came across some printer utility items, one of which pops open a Printer Selector. This has two boxes -- AppleTalk Zones (it says "There are no zones on this network") and Printers (nothing listed at all) -- with an Open Printer button at the bottom. Obviously, if there are no printers listed, I can't select one to open.

So after all that, am I even on the right track here?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-31, 07:52

Within about 30 seconds I found some good info on the HP page. Including this document.

However, since you are using OS9, then perhaps Archive.com might be a better place to start! You do realise this is the 21st century don't you?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!