Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

2021:Q1 Best Web Browsers for Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2021:Q1 Best Web Browsers for Mac
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-04, 16:05

I am increasingly wigged out about Chrome, and there's a lot of conversation about how that browser is past its prime.

What non-Apple MacOS browsers are you using now, and why?

Please fight about it. I'm bored.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-04, 16:10

You people use non-Apple browsers?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-03-04, 16:48

I like Safari. Mostly. It has some weird behavior sometimes, but I mostly like it.

I occasionally use Edge.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-04, 16:55

On my Mac I'm pretty much 100% Safari. I have Firefox installed but hardly ever use it, like almost never. If I'm feeling paranoid I use Tor Browser but that is only a hair more than I use Firefox.

For work I use Firefox primarily with Edge for odds and ends but that's on a Windows 10 VM.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-03-04, 18:36

100% Firefox, Mac and PC. Only use Safari on iOS/iPad OS. Not a big fan of Chrome/Safari (webkit) based browsers. They are faster, but terrible at memory management and other things.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-03-04, 21:39

100% Firefox here too on macOS, iOS, and Linux. I'm very much not a fan of letting Google own the web more than it already does, and I have much greater confidence that I can secure and control my data and privacy with Firefox. The Google telemetry hooks are deep and pervasive in Chrome and difficult to find and disable. Multiple whole project forks of Chrome exist just to try to detach the tether from the mothership. Did I mention I also use DuckDuckGo for web search on every device within my reach instead of Google?

(Yes, Firefox on iOS is just another WebKit wrapper, but I prefer its tab management over plain Safari.)

Safari on the desktop is just a neat toy to me. It's reasonably fast. It's a fine inoffensive default. Its customizability leaves much to be desired. I try it out for a day or so whenever there's a major update, and then I inevitably go back to Firefox.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2021-03-05, 08:21

Safari most of the time, Firefox for most of the rest. Vivaldi+Bing for saucy searches. I'll poke around in Brave once a week or so because I'm curious.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-05, 09:44

So I have to say, on iOS I actually use the DuckDuckGo app more than Safari. About the only time I use Safari is when it auto-opens to it or when I want to use the iCloud tab sync and copy the URL out of DuckDuckGo.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
LawrenceHahn

2021-03-11, 08:06

Generally, I use Chrome browser. After installing Brave I just fascinated using this browser. It is a light browser. And I like this browser so much for not showing ads.
Quagmire
meh

2021-03-11, 08:59

I use Safari with FireFox as the backup browser.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-03-11, 09:30

I miss Omniweb. That was my go-to for years.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-03-11, 11:36

Who misses Netscape Navigator, best browser ever.

Never used omniweb, but heard about it a lot.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-12, 14:42

iCab. Now that was special.
¡Damned!

2021-03-12, 15:22

Camino! Man I loved that browser.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-03-12, 15:34

Yeah I liked Camino as well.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-03-12, 16:03

Shiira anyone?

Camino, OmniWeb, iCab… all of them fantastic browsers in their days, paving the way for greatness.

I'll take Netscape Navigator any day over that so-called Netscape Communicator abomination, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-03-12, 16:13

Netscape Navigator 3 was the best release. The "Communicator" 4 release was bloated and misguided (and I also preferred 3's theme), though I can understand why Netscape was trying desperately to add premium features.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-12, 19:12

What was Rockmelt all about???

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-03-13, 20:49

Camino!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-03-14, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I miss Omniweb. That was my go-to for years.
Same here. Man, that takes me back.

I loved Omniweb and their suite of products for the Mac. I was so enamoured with their software, I think I even bought a t-shirt back in the day!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2021-03-15, 13:24

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2021-03-15, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
I loved Omniweb and their suite of products for the Mac. I was so enamoured with their software, I think I even bought a t-shirt back in the day!
Good news! Not only is Omni Group still around, but it looks like someone is working on an updated version of Omniweb! (link) The bad news is that it looks like it's been under development for several years without an actual release.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-03-17, 09:19

I'm glad they're still working on it. They're not joking about those builds being very, very Beta, though. The one I just grabbed doesn't have a working address bar....