Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Windows media player 9

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Windows media player 9
Jason
Veteran Member

2005-10-24, 19:01

I want to install this on my PB 1.67GHZ OSX 10.4. so I can view some documentary stuff on National Geographic.
Is this app fairly stable? I'm always nervous about downloading stuff that might upset things.

Regards
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-10-24, 20:29

If you can, use VLC. Otherwise use WMP. That's my order of priority.

I've had WMP on my computers for years and it doesn't cause problems. There are a LOT of Windows Media files it can't play, but sometimes it is the only thing that can.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-24, 20:51

Well, there are even more files that VLC can't play. Not only can it not play DRM'd content, VLC cannot play any WMV3/WMV9-encoded content at all.

Windows Media Player itself is "okay" in that it won't hurt anything on your computer. It is generally stable. However, it's truly a half-hearted attempt. It too doesn't play DRM'd files, but at least it can play regular WMV3 content. However, when running it is a resource hog and playback performance is abysmal.

Better than either Windows Media Player or VLC is the Flip4Mac WMV Player QuickTime component. This little $10 program lets you play nearly all Windows Media files (again, no DRM) via QuickTime. My experience has shown Flip4Mac's software to be vastly superior to anything else for Windows Media playback on the Mac, especially regarding playback performance and smoothness.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-10-24, 22:16

That's useful to know Brad. Thanks.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-10-25, 04:09

Note well that DRM'd WMV3/WMV9 content does not play on the Mac AT ALL. DVD Jon was working on something for VLC for Linux, I think, but there's nothing for the Mac.

bouncy bouncy