User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Flash player, again

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flash player, again
omem

2006-01-09, 12:16

Ok. Could someone please explain me why every once in a while Flash player goes crazy? I mean, from times to times it decides not no play sound on flash movies (menus, movies, youtube, myspace, purevolume...). This is REALLY annoying

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
Apple Communities: LiveJournal | Last.fm
My sites: Glassjaw.net | HeadAutomatica.net
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-01-09, 15:00

General questions:
do you have the latest flash player installed?
which web browser are you using?
mac or windows?
omem

2006-01-09, 15:06

I have the latest Flash player (8)
I generally use Safari but it doesn't work on Camino or Firefox either.
Macintosh, off course.

Any idea?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-09, 18:46

There are instances where the Flash player seems to have some sort of conflict with other apps over who 'owns' the audio subsystem. I've noticed occasions with VLC or QT or other movie playing apps where one seems to control the audio and the other apps can't send audio through while the first is still 'holding' audio. Doesn't happen very often, and usually Flash is the one which can't reassign control of the audio, but I have experienced similar issues.

At times, the only solution is to restart and then load the Flash content first, but I suspect that the real issue may be malformed Flash content which fails to load properly... I'm inclined to blame the designer or Flash author, but I haven't had enough consistent behaviors of this type to definitively say it's due to this... might still be related to other issues (permissions fix might solve it, for example, or new versions of the continually-tweaked Flash plugin perhaps.)

YMMV

can you provide a sample we can test to determine if it's a universal issue or just your system, or just a particular movie, or what?

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2006-01-09 at 18:52.
omem

2006-01-09, 23:09

That makes sense (that flash can't reassign control of the audio). Maybe it's flip4mac? I don' know... I'll try logging out and bringing the flash content first and see if it works.

thanks

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
omem

2006-01-09, 23:30

I logged out and tried to listen to a song at purevolume and myspace. Both failed to play. My guess its flip4mac because it loads with the system (I presume). fuck.