User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPhone roadmap to 10 million

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone roadmap to 10 million
Electric Monk

2007-06-30, 03:15

The expert opinion on getting to 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 is over here (link currently down so here is the google cache).
(guy was the Global Head of 3G Business Consultancy for Nokia with a background in econometric modelling division as part of that = knows what he's talking about)

Mine is just what I think Apple needs to do with upcoming revisions in a little more hardware detail. Frankly the reports are that the keyboard is fine for writing, even fast, so I don't see a physical keyboard model. However I'm forced to agree with my linky up there that removable battery/memory will become an issue—I'm just not sure Apple will realize this.

Without further ado, the timeline I made up based on a) public Apple comments about when iPhone gets where, b) my linky above, and c) the hardware baseline in each market at that time.

Xmas 2007 Revision B/Europe, World
Europe's 3G iPhone (can also be sold in world outside of Japan/South Korea, NA). Main difference is 2100 MHz UMTS band, possibly GPS and/or digital TV, better camera, memory bump, video calls, oh and recording video if that hasn't been firmware enabled by then. Removable battery/memory are a possibility, and would help them sell.

Macworld 2008 Revision B/North America
North America's 3G iPhone. Main feature is 850/1900 MHz UMTS, otherwise same features as Rev B/Europe.
-SDK should be out by then if they plan on making one.

Spring 2008 Revision B/Japan, South Korea
Japanese/South Korean model because of market specific features required. UMTS 2100 MHz, GPS, one-seg TV (and SK digital TV), better camera over Europe/NA Rev B, near field contact chip for e-cash, thumbprint or retinal scanner, better (OLED) screen, other market required features. Removable battery/memory are basically required.
-Remember Japan is half the size of the USA, and way more mobile mad. It's worth it to put in Japan specific hardware. Same with South Korea (well, less population).

Xmas 2008
Tri-band UMTS iPhone with digital TV chips mature enough for multi-band. GPS for sure if it wasn't earlier, better camera yet again, WiFi 'n' and possibly WiFi 'Max', near field contact chip for e-cash (spread outside Japan by then), another memory bump, and market specific features have been reduced to software only. Removable battery/memory are likely if it hasn't happened yet.
-This allows Apple to release a single worldwide iPhone 2 with all the lessons of Revision B various iterations.

[1] I imagine the iPhone will not see more then modest price reductions if any for some time. I'd bet on an iPhone nano at Macworld 2009—dump WiFi, lose .5" on the screen, no GPS, lower memory, worse camera, etc…
canyon_Carver

2007-07-02, 08:55

I have decided to wait....

...not like waiting 3 days in line for something you can pick up that afternoon with just a walk-in (idiots)

I think apple missed a HUGE BOAT with GPS. Look at how closely integrated ipod is with Cars.
Now imagine if the iPhone had LIVE GPS roadmapping abilities. They would not only compete with the phone industry,
but with all the roadmapping GPS systems out there. The screen is big enough...they just need a horizontal dock mount.

All in all...I will be getting an iPhone....when GPS lands, for now I can deal with my $19.99 POS.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 08:58

They could sell a gps device seperately, and make it connect via bluetooth. It could work just like this nike thingy.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-07-02, 10:25

honestly with google maps GPS isn't really necessary... obviously it would make things a little easier but it could definitely be a replacement if you wanted it to.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
honestly with google maps GPS isn't really necessary... obviously it would make things a little easier but it could definitely be a replacement if you wanted it to.
Have you ever used a GPS navigation system? I'm guessing no.

GPS systems are updated on the fly based on your exact location. Google Maps, as currently implemented, can't do that at all. Google Maps is fine, but it can't exactly update your directions automatically if you take a wrong turn.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
HiRez

2007-07-02, 11:53

Bluetooth GPS devices already exist (as you might know). I know quite a few people who have a bluetooth GPS in their car and use a PDA for navigation through a bluetooth connection.

Why this wouldn't work on an iPhone I don't know. All you would need is mapping software as made by Navteq or Teleatlas for TomTom/Garmin/Etc but then for the iPhone

Greetings,
HiRez
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Bluetooth GPS devices already exist (as you might know). I know quite a few people who have a bluetooth GPS in their car and use a PDA for navigation through a bluetooth connection.

Why this wouldn't work on an iPhone I don't know. All you would need is mapping software as made by Navteq or Teleatlas for TomTom/Garmin/Etc but then for the iPhone

Greetings,
HiRez
There is no software development platform available for the iPhone. That's why you can't use existing solutions. You can't create software for it, so it would have to be built in and developed by Apple.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
MacGregor

2007-07-02, 23:31

Yeah, the battery is an issue. The only thing that I can see is that the Apple Store or AT&T stores get a "genius" to replace batteries in the back somewhere in 10 minutes. If not, then people will be very upset.

I think it is a good idea though, since it gets customers in the door and might increase sales/store to cover the expense of the extra staffing requirements.

The "Mother of All" Flip-flops.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
Support the Freedom of Information Act by using it ... support the troops by being an informed electorate!
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-07-03, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
There is no software development platform available for the iPhone. That's why you can't use existing solutions. You can't create software for it, so it would have to be built in and developed by Apple.
I could imagine Apple cooperates with a strong, independent brand like Tom Tom, as they have with Nike, Google and YouTube. Although I'm not sure how big Tom Tom is overseas (it's proverbial here in Holland).
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-07-03, 11:58

Do you really think the size and the battery requirements of 3G circuitry will decrease enough to be included in the iPhone in only 6 months?

I'd shoot for a year on that, personally.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-07-03, 23:01

Well they can't really release it outside of the US without 3G...
Electric Monk

2007-07-04, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Do you really think the size and the battery requirements of 3G circuitry will decrease enough to be included in the iPhone in only 6 months?

I'd shoot for a year on that, personally.
Are we talking tri-band? Because yes, I figured that by the end of 2008 that would be doable. At least that's where I stuck it on my hardware timeline.

If we're talking either 2100 MHz for the world or 850/1900 MHz for the USA they're fine now and will be that much better in six months[1][2]. Remember even staying purely on a UMTS network is only a 30% battery hit at worst, so most days you're going to lose 10-20% and I imagine a clever piece of software would (um, outside of Japan/South Korea) only power on the radio when you start using selected programs like Safari or sending/receiving large emails or when a call comes in (because UMTS calls sound better).

Rest of the time it can stick with GSM/EDGE for background texts/email and the like.

And of course if they're releasing in Europe by the end of the year they really do need 3G along with a better camera, either a memory bump or removable memory, video calls, and recording video; a removable battery is also a possibility, and would help them sell.

I've come to doubt both mobile TV and GPS before either Japan or iPhone2.

[1] Quite honestly adding a UMTS radio to it right now would add no more then a couple millimetres, and in six months I imagine GSM/UMTS combo chips are even better.

[2] The USA no 3G for launch I think is a combination of keeping costs down, the 2 year lead time in design, the usefulness of big features to push future sales, and their stated reason—weak coverage.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-04, 02:34

Dammit. If a 3G iPhone comes out just 4-5 months after I get mine (3 months if you count Europe!), I am going to be just a little bit pissed. I know, I know - I got what I bought, whatever. But if what I bought is supposed to be five years ahead of the competition, then I expect it to stay that way for at least half a year or so.

It's okay, Apple. You can rest on your laurels for a while. I don't mind.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Electric Monk

2007-07-05, 19:25

Heh. The phone market is much more aggressive then the computer/MP3 player market. Instead of just speed bumps there's always quite a bit better phone six months away.