User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Yes or no...does Apple recognize iMac's 10th birthday in some way?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Yes or no...does Apple recognize iMac's 10th birthday in some way?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-18, 07:44

Specifically by re-releasing, for a limited time only (10 months or something cute like that), redesigned jellybeans with modern Intel guts?

I don't know, I'm asking...it crossed my mind last night as I was drifting off to sleep.

On one hand, it seems silly and a complete waste of time/effort. On the other hand, it's still silly and a complete waste of time/effort...but something cool to imagine and think about.

Or is the CRT deader than dead for Apple? A 15" non-widescreen one, no less.

Would be a shame if Apple didn't do something a bit special or fun to mark the 10th anniversary of the machine that saved their bacon, turned everything around and launched a whole new era of design and innovation for Apple...

When the time comes (next year, about this time?) they could simply offer their current iMac design, whatever it is, with Bondi blue accents for a limited time?
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-07-18, 08:03

Bondi blue grew on me when I bought my original iMac, but I never would have chosen the color on my own.

I think the 20th Anniversary Mac was a one-time thing...when Macs were boring beige boxes, someone had the idea to make a B&O style computer.
Graphguy
can't type

2007-07-18, 09:14

Would be a supercool idea, but I think it might be a little too expensive...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-07-18, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

Or is the CRT deader than dead for Apple? A 15" non-widescreen one, no less.
Deader than dead, they wouldn't be able to sell in Europe for example. I doubt we'll see anything special, other than Jobs saying, we'll sold this many iMacs since they came out ten years ago.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-18, 11:32

The iMac is 10 years old?

Oh god, what have I done with my life?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-18, 11:52

It will be soon, I think. Right? August 1998 was the first unveiling? Something like that?

Yeah, I agree with Eugene on the Bondi thing. An odd color...not quite blue, not quite green, not quite attractive. But it grew on me as well, the more I saw it.

Yeah, it may just be a little press release announcement to mark the occasion. I doubt they'd go through the hassle of tooling up to create something so "niche-y" (of course, you could apply that reasoning to their entire line of current Macs too, I suppose). 4% ain't exactly "the world".

Oh well. I sure hope they do something, even if only a press release and perhaps a nice little homepage salute (a "then and now" type of thing, just to show the evolution and how far the idea has come). The iMac did mark the turnaround for Apple. From that idea/product came so much! Think about it...design-wise you couldn't touch it, the technologies that were adopted (and those that were dropped), the impact on the third-party accessory market, it paved the way for consumer-level notebooks from Apple, the simple "less is more" thinking behind it which seemed to spread to their entire line over time, the ease of set-up and connecting to the world, etc.

I don't know. I'm sentimental like that...the little jellybean shouldn't go unrecognized when the proper time comes.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-07-18, 12:05

Great ideas, Paul. As I have said before, I think that you should work for Apple. You’d be great on their design team. (I say that quite seriously…. Where could you apply?)

As to whether Apple should mark the anniversary with a special computer release…I say ‘yes’…if only with a limited release of a current iMac with some sort of bondi-blue accent theme. (I am a sentimentalist too.) As for whether they will have a special computer release ...‘probably not’. Although Apple is all about great design, Apple is not terribly sentimental, overall.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-18, 12:45

Eh, it would be fun in a way, but I just don't see Apple ever looking back or trying to release its greatest hits anytime soon. Now, a limited edition 10th anniversary bondi blue new iMac would be the bee's knees!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-07-18, 13:28

I kinda like Chinney's idea of having a normal Intel iMac decked out with some bondi blue on it. Maybe the Apple on the front?
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-07-18, 14:36

Bring back the floppy drive.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-07-18, 14:55

If Apple relaunches a CRT iMac. Green Peace is going to throw a hissy fit.

Eugene
careful with axes

2007-07-18, 15:17

Well my question is... How could they top their already good looking product lines without reverting to some whacky retro-futuristic design philosophy? Simply putting modern touches on a gumdrop iMac and printing the executive team's signatures on the bezel isn't going to cut it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-18, 15:32

Yeah, you're right.

Maybe they'll just mention it in some way. They should. I'm not 100% convinced on the hardware part...I just think they should recognize the occasion in some way.