Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Random Crashes and Not Waking from Sleep

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Random Crashes and Not Waking from Sleep
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-25, 03:22

I just put in a new stick of ram, into my 1.25 Ghz 15" PB, it was a 1gig stick. Not that I've got it in I've noticed programs just randomly crashing and or completely not responding. I will be able to move the mouse but not click or change anything on the screen. I think this might be a faulty stick of ram, do you guys know of any utilities I can download that will help me check this out?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-25, 03:32

Rember: GUI wrapper for the Memtest program.

Memtest:
Quote:
Memtest is a small but thorough RAM testing utility for Mac OS X. This command-line application is a modified version of Charles Cazabon's distribution of memtester for Linux. Changes to Charles's release have been made in order to build and run Memtest under Mac OS X. Be sure to read the READMEFIRST file included in the download!

In light of the issues some are encountering with RAM problems (which may be difficult to diagnose, the usual symptom is general system instability and/or many apps quitting unexpectedly or crashing) after updating to a newer version of OS X, MemTest may be useful to the Mac community.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-25, 03:43

Well right after I posted this I got a kernel panic, so I took out the other ram in there and tried booting up with just the new 1 gig piece and I got a kernel panic as soon as the OS X finished loading. Well NewEgg has certainly disappointed me this time around, any suggestions of where to buy reliable ram?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-25, 03:47

And wow, I didn't know the NewEgg removes negative comments about their products from their site. Thats one hell of a business... I am disappointed. Instead of getting a replacement piece from them, I think I'm going to get on the phone with them and attempt my best at having them wave my restocking fee. Making a fiasco of this affair should do it...

Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-11-25, 09:27

I know many people who build PC's. Some run small businesses some do it for friends... after a few years in the game they all come to the same conclusion.

"Do not use cheap components - especially RAM"

Stick with branded memory ( I think many places call it major on 3rd ). Thats not to say that the major brands don't have the occasional defect. I have ordered a few sticks from crucial and had to get one replaced recently. The returns procedure was quite simple and the replacement worked fine.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-25, 13:06

Yeah, I'm well aware of that, but being a college student I decided to go out on a limb seeing as I'm usually pretty strapped for cash. I'm considering buying the 1 gig Samsung module Other World Computing offers, and claims to be the same piece Apple offers factory installed, what do you guys think? I looked at Kingston but they want an outrageous 608$ for a 1gig piece, and crucial is like 340$ I believe.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-25, 13:13

I looked at Crucial, and now I'm pretty confused. When I go through the "memory finder" on their home page I am lead to
here
where the ram costs $480. When I just go through and find a 200 pin PC2700, 1 gig stick, I am lead to here
where the ram only costs $340. What is the difference between these two sticks?

Last edited by Maciej : 2004-11-25 at 13:28. Reason: Hyperlinking