User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Pages for iPhone...how close is it to desktop version (formatting, etc.)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pages for iPhone...how close is it to desktop version (formatting, etc.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-26, 13:41

Anyone have experience with the iPhone versions of this app? I've got some documents (resumé, some writings, lists, etc.) on my iMac and was thinking it might be nice to have the ability to edit/add to these on-the-go could come in handy.

Specifically, things like tab and indents and other general formatting...do those translate back-and-forth pretty well? And if a friend had Pages on her iPhone, I could, in theory, help her with a resumé or cover letter (or anything else) and email her the finished result and she could plug in specific dates or tweak the wording on her end, as needed?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-26, 17:54

Yeah, it does pretty well. Just keep Documents in the Cloud turned off for now (in your iCloud settings). It has a nasty tendency to delete all of your iWork documents on all of your iOS devices. I've had a few conversations with someone in Tim Cook's office (well, you know, their Executive Relations department, whatever that means) and an engineer in the iCloud team. It's a known issue that they're working on.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-26, 20:01

Here's a silly question: with the iPhone/iOS being what it is, how/where do you access any Pages documents you might e-mail to yourself? How do you go about accessing them? For example, I create something in Pages on my iMac (just a simple list or article or whatever) and I shoot it to myself via e-mail. Can I access it then on the iPhone? How, exactly, as there is no traditional file structure/storage as there is on a Mac.

Does the system simply "know" it's a Pages document and is made available to Pages and I just don't need to worry about the "where and how"?

I think I'm going to snag it, and suggest my friend does the same (once I make sure it works well and plays nice).

What about the saving/export options on the iPhone version of Pages? Native Pages, PDF and Word as well?
Dutch Pear

2011-10-27, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Can I access it then on the iPhone? How, exactly, as there is no traditional file structure/storage as there is on a Mac.
Does the system simply "know" it's a Pages document and is made available to Pages and I just don't need to worry about the "where and how"?
What about the saving/export options on the iPhone version of Pages? Native Pages, PDF and Word as well?
Tap on the email attachment (pages or word), and the iPhone gives you the option to "open in pages". Pages then stores the file automagically, and from then on, you can access it through the internal document browser built into pages.

AFAICT, pages for iOS uses the same file format, have done some quick edits and haven't seen any strange layout changes after transferring back to the mac (by mail, word and pdf are also options indeed).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-27, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Pear View Post
AFAICT, pages for iOS uses the same file format, have done some quick edits and haven't seen any strange layout changes after transferring back to the mac (by mail, word and pdf are also options indeed).
There are some limitations, but basic stuff should work.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-27, 10:34

Thanks, guys. Gonna grab this today, I believe. My friend too. I mean, she's gonna grab this for her iPhone (not me grab her, although... ).