Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Jony Ive gets knighthood

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Jony Ive gets knighthood
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-12-31, 11:03

Jonathan Ive, or Sir Jonathan, has been made a Knight Commander of the British Empire for his design efforts.

A decent way to start the new year, I suppose!

The BBC article has an interesting titbit about Ive being hurt by Jobs taking credit for design innovations. I haven't got to that bit in Isaacson's biography yet. However, the article also disparagingly calls the iPod and iPhone gadgets!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-12-31, 11:12

While I've seen definitions of 'gadget' that make it out to be a toy, that's neither universal nor modernly common. OS X's dictionary says "a small mechanical device or tool, esp. an ingenious or novel one". I wouldn't call "ingenious" a disparaging adjective.

Plus, sites like Engadget and gdgt clearly embrace the idea of gagdets as being interesting, if not quite useful.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-01-03, 06:26

I wonder how much of this "hurt" is just played up by the media to provide tension in a story. I don't think any of us though it was Jobs who actually designed any of Apple's gadgets () but his aesthetic is clearly present. We all know it was Ive and his team that put pencil to paper, which is, IMHO, much harder to do. I know what I think looks or sounds good, but it's a great artist that has to actually make that a reality.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-03, 06:43

I haven't got to that section in the book yet, but I do think Jobs' aesthetic was a driving force in Apple's design, regardless of who actually came up with the concrete ideas.