Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Magsafe iPhone Charger

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Magsafe iPhone Charger
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-18, 10:51

This is the biggest DUH!!! heard 'round the world.

Here's The Cabin.

Why doesn't Apple resolve ALL of their charging solutions around MagSafe linkages?

And for that matter, I think the earphones should work this way as well.

It would be brilliant.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-07-18, 12:03

I saw this on Kickstarter and I LOVE the idea, but I hate the fact that it requires a case. It would be great if Apple adopted this idea for future iPhones.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-07-18, 12:56

What's wrong with the lightning port? I like it.

Besides, could you imagine the shit storm that would ensue if Apple changed the connection so soon?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-18, 13:10

Oh yeah, Tori, it's too late now.

But imagine the future that could have been.

Of course from what I understand the transformer necessary to charge a Macbook Pro would be overkill for a phone or tablet.

Still...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-18, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
What's wrong with the lightning port? I like it.
Lightning is nice, but it doesn't have the easy breakaway detachment that MagSafe has. Since people so often connect and disconnect their iDevices for charging, this seems like a clever improvement.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2014-07-18, 13:43

I have my doubts about this. The whole point of the MagSafe adaptor is that it disconnects when yanked away suddenly from a reasonably heavy laptop. Surely the magnet would be too strong to prevent a very light phone from flying across the room. The iPhone 5 is hardly a heavy brick.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2014-07-18, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I have my doubts about this. The whole point of the MagSafe adaptor is that it disconnects when yanked away suddenly from a reasonably heavy laptop. Surely the magnet would be too strong to prevent a very light phone from flying across the room. The iPhone 5 is hardly a heavy brick.
MagSafe also prevents breaking something when you pick your device up and walk away while it's still plugged in. Go ahead, ask me how I know that this can break something...

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-07-18, 23:28

MagSafe is also bulkier and much of the reasoning behind Lightning was size reduction. I feel it's overkill the n such a small device. As for breaking things. When's the last time you got up and a Lightning cable didn't break away cleanly? Someone should just implement a Lightning cable with a MagSafe breakaway connector in the middle.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2014-07-19, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
MagSafe is also bulkier and much of the reasoning behind Lightning was size reduction. I feel it's overkill the n such a small device. As for breaking things. When's the last time you got up and a Lightning cable didn't break away cleanly? Someone should just implement a Lightning cable with a MagSafe breakaway connector in the middle.
Specifically with a Lightning cable? Never. I've done it more than once with other cables, though.