Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Safari+Font Problem=hoe foid dlks?!?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari+Font Problem=hoe foid dlks?!?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-05-28, 23:22

There is either something screwy with my system fonts or safari or both. On some sites (like the register) Safari completely garbles the text. The sites look fine in el Camino. I've tried changing the font in Safari but it is of no help.

How might I go about fixing this? Or is this just a Safari thing?
Costique

2004-05-31, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
There is either something screwy with my system fonts or safari or both. On some sites (like the register) Safari completely garbles the text. The sites look fine in el Camino. I've tried changing the font in Safari but it is of no help.

How might I go about fixing this? Or is this just a Safari thing?
There may be a font conflict. Launch Font Book and look in the font list for dots to the right of font names. The dot means a conflict. To resolve it, disable duplicates.

There are widely used system fonts like Helvetica and Lucida Grande which must be enabled and not have duplicates.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-05-31, 05:48

Thanks for replying Costique. It seems that almost all the default systems fonts had duplicates. Get rid of all of the dups but alas, still some garbley stuff. Grrrrr.

Why does this only happen with Safari? All of browsers are fine.
Costique

2004-06-01, 00:43

You may have to resort to discussions on Apple.com. This seem the most extensive resource for troubleshooting.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-06-01, 17:43

Have you tried changing your fonts in the apparance panel of preferences for Safari?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-06-01, 21:35

Look for a font named TimesRO or something very similar... it's a known troublemaker.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-02, 17:22

I've tried other fonts and I've not got the troublesome Times RO (or anything like it). I guess I'll toddle of the Apple boards and see what I can see.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-06-02, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
I've tried changing the font in Safari but it is of no help.
I must learn to read. Not browse.

Sorry

Another thing I would try is trashing the .plist. Don't know why, but it always seems to be on the "steps that are done when things turn to custard" list.
kafelatte

2004-06-13, 10:06

Symptom: Font displays as Gibberish
I surmise this is caused by third party fonts conflicting with the dearth of un-asked for fonts apple installs. Cleaning out the font cache takes care of the problem
Recommended products
CacheOut X (what I use)
FontCacheCleaner (haven't tried)

but if you are a font monger, you may need to follow what I do for graphic designers:

How I create a clean print production font system for my clients:

1] Start with fresh Suitcase Prefs (empty)
2] either manually or by using Suitcase X1: Deactivate and Remove all possible dfonts and truetype fonts installed by Apple and Office (etc).
Apple forces you to retain a few that Suitcase will prevent you from removing.
3] Feel free to strip Classic down further by removing all but the few standard "cities" plus Charcoal.
4] using Cache Out X (nonamescriptware.com), clear the three system domain caches.
(This REALLY helps with gibberish prob).
5] in Suitcase prefs, activate Scan and Repair, Override System Fonts and warn on Duplicates.
6] start adding your Postscript fonts, preferably TRASHING the damaged ones.
Use Manage Duplicates to get rid of most duplicates!!

After removing dupes, you may need another pass with Cache Out to get rid of more 'gibberish'ed fonts.

You will still have Helvetica DFont, etc. as a dupe still to contend with.
I ask everyone just to start using Helvetica Neue to avoid conflict with other Helvetica's.

I found that removal of all Helvetica's (remove at your own risk!) other than Adobe PS Helvetica works for extreme cases involving just Helvetica. In that case, I load Adobe's at the Main level so it can't be removed by user.

OK, now make just the True Types and DFonts you MUST have available again. Watch out for the gibberish!

Love that Cache Out X.

Check out Atomic Bird's Macaroni too!!
Then you'll hardly ever need me! (Mac OS Systems consultant in NYC only)