Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhoto, Spotlight & Automator

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhoto, Spotlight & Automator
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-04-30, 06:05

Unless you have been very thorough naming your images and adding proper meta data with something like Photoshop, you will realise that Spotlight is not finding your images! It seems that it cannot read the title and comment fields that iPhoto is using.

However, Automator is close at hand. After an initial messup using Automator to rename the files in my iPhoto library (* DO NOT DO THIS *) I have restored my photo library from backup and found a better way.

Using Automator I was able to select photos based on the album they are in and then add a "Spotlight Comment". You have probably seen this new entry in the "Get Info" menu in Finder.

This is not a complete solution to finding individual photos but its a start.

I am going to make some more albums and continue to add Spotlight comments until I find a better way. I think adding proper meta data using photoshop might be a good habit to get into - but that's not realistic if you import 100's of photos from your camera!

What would be nice is some sort of slideshow where I can see photo's one by one and add comments / titles that Spotlight can use.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
åsen

2005-04-30, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
What would be nice is some sort of slideshow where I can see photo's one by one and add comments / titles that Spotlight can use.
What about the Comments slot in the Information box in the lower left corner of iPhoto? Does Spotlight pick up words from there?

I can't check if it does: my copy of Tiger is still on the delivery truck because the driver was 'unable to locate the property' yesterday.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-05-01, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
It seems that it cannot read the title and comment fields that iPhoto is using.
Nope - From my testing it does not!

I did open one of my photos in photoshop and add the proper meta data (file->file info), and Spotlight found it instantly.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!