Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Rev B iMac G5 - What RAM is best???

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rev B iMac G5 - What RAM is best???
arklab

2005-05-03, 12:49

I'm buying my first Mac, the new rev. B iMac ... but
With a faster FSB of 667, will 3rd party DDR400 with a faster CL (CAS-to-RAS) of 2.5 or 2.0 instead of Apple's old standard of 3.0 (for the 600 FSB) allow faster throughput?

This is very helpfull with Intel or AMD CPU's, but I'm clueless as to Macintosh!

Your help is much appreciated!
fluxin

2005-05-03, 13:20

I could use this info also. Also do you need a matching pair? I got the standard 512 Single Dimm, do I need another matched 512 or can I get a 1Gig?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-03, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxin
I could use this info also. Also do you need a matching pair? I got the standard 512 Single Dimm, do I need another matched 512 or can I get a 1Gig?

That should be fairly self explanatory. No you don't.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-03, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arklab
I'm buying my first Mac, the new rev. B iMac ... but
With a faster FSB of 667, will 3rd party DDR400 with a faster CL (CAS-to-RAS) of 2.5 or 2.0 instead of Apple's old standard of 3.0 (for the 600 FSB) allow faster throughput?

This is very helpfull with Intel or AMD CPU's, but I'm clueless as to Macintosh!

Your help is much appreciated!
I'm not 100% sure on the subtleties of various RAM types, As far as I know though putting faster RAM won't necessarily provide much a difference, the RAM will just operate at the slower speeds, for the most part, there might be a little fudge room here and there, but I'd imagine it'd be negligible.
arklab

2005-05-03, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I'm not 100% sure on the subtleties of various RAM types, As far as I know though putting faster RAM won't necessarily provide much a difference, the RAM will just operate at the slower speeds, for the most part, there might be a little fudge room here and there, but I'd imagine it'd be negligible.
Thanks for the reply.

This usually is governed by the memory controller on the system, and using "quicker" (as opposed to "faster" - ie DDR-500 or better) can be breathtaking. On wintel systems this often just requires adjustment in the BIOS settings, although I understand Macs don't have these adjustable settings.

Still, if the computer (iMac) can use the faster ram, it will benifit from it. If the factory ram is slower than optimal, then the iMac will be just a little less "crisp" or "perky" in its response. The trick is to know just what it can make use of.

Even on wintel systems, mass produced computers (say, Dell or Compac) will use slower components. These tend to produce more stable systems with less effort, and therefore fewer problems for tech support (if yopu can find any)

They also cost less.

So the question remains, I'm afraid.

Some one must know!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-03, 14:59

All I know is, if you used matched pairs of RAM (PC3x00, same CAS, etc., etc.) the memory buss will operate faster. I don't know how this works technically but I'm sure googling around would find an article explaining this. XBench did see a memory buss performance increase using matched sticks of RAM but I don't know how much of this boost the user would see.

I am running with 2 1GB sticks of matched RAM that I picked up from NewEgg last Fall.
arklab

2005-05-03, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
All I know is, if you used matched pairs of RAM (PC3x00, same CAS, etc., etc.) the memory buss will operate faster. I don't know how this works technically but I'm sure googling around would find an article explaining this. XBench did see a memory buss performance increase using matched sticks of RAM but I don't know how much of this boost the user would see.

I am running with 2 1GB sticks of matched RAM that I picked up from NewEgg last Fall.
As a matter of fact, Newegg has a sale on 1M DDR400 sticks today for $79.99, although its the basic, CL 3.0 stuff.
Still, it might be a nice "chaser" to that new iMac G5 we'll be getting today. :smokey:

If you want it, act quick as it's over in about two hours. Here's the link:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820223020
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-03, 16:05

Wow, to think I paid about $165 per stick last Fall.
arklab

2005-05-03, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Wow, to think I paid about $165 per stick last Fall.
I feel your pain.
yanges

2005-05-04, 12:30

i would say go to ramjet.com, crucial.com or http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/

they all offer lifetime guarantees and supply ram for macs by model....
arklab

2005-05-04, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanges
i would say go to ramjet.com, crucial.com or http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/

they all offer lifetime guarantees and supply ram for macs by model....
I've used Crucial before (good), the others are new to me.
And the slowest RAM will work, without question.

Still, the unanswered question is will the proformance of the new 677FSB iMacs improve with RAM of faster timeings???
yanges

2005-05-04, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by arklab
I've used Crucial before (good), the others are new to me.
And the slowest RAM will work, without question.

Still, the unanswered question is will the proformance of the new 677FSB iMacs improve with RAM of faster timeings???
personally, i would go with Apple's recommentdation for memory specs:

Mac G5 computers contain 400 MHz double data rate, synchronous dynamic random-access memory (DDR-SDRAM), one of the fastest memory technologies available today. Double data rate memory (DDR-SDRAM) provides twice the throughput of single data rate SDRAM and boosts overall system performance. Your iMac G5 comes with 512 megabytes (MB) of memory. You can select additional memory up to 2 Gigabytes. The new iMac G5 has two user accessible memory slots.

Note: DDR-SDRAM is closely correlated with your computer's processor. You should purchase PC3200 DDR-SDRAM for iMac. If you don't purchase memory directly from Apple, be sure to check with the third-party manufacturer to verify compatibility before purchase. Refer to your user's manual for a detailed description of the memory used in your computer.

yanges

dual 2.0ghz PowerMac, Tiger 10.4.2, 1gb ram, 19" Viewsonic CRT display, HK SoundSticks, iBot - Cube 450mhz, OSX.2, 1.2gb ram, Apple CRT 17" Studio Display
arklab

2005-05-04, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanges
personally, i would go with Apple's recommentdation for memory specs:

Mac G5 computers contain 400 MHz double data rate, synchronous dynamic random-access memory (DDR-SDRAM), one of the fastest memory technologies available today. Double data rate memory (DDR-SDRAM) provides twice the throughput of single data rate SDRAM and boosts overall system performance. Your iMac G5 comes with 512 megabytes (MB) of memory. You can select additional memory up to 2 Gigabytes. The new iMac G5 has two user accessible memory slots.

Note: DDR-SDRAM is closely correlated with your computer's processor. You should purchase PC3200 DDR-SDRAM for iMac. If you don't purchase memory directly from Apple, be sure to check with the third-party manufacturer to verify compatibility before purchase. Refer to your user's manual for a detailed description of the memory used in your computer.
Yes, and all of the following timeings are FULLY and EXACTLY complient with the above, yet:

Timing: 3-4-4
Timing: 3-6-3-3
Timing: 3-3-3
Timing: 3-4-4-8
Timing: 2-3-2-5
Timing: 2-3-3-6

You can browse the page here: here

And that dosen't even get into voltages!

That Apple Spec. tells us very little about what is really needed or used.

It a lot like Apple saying that the new version of the iMac is faster than the older version. And please don't bother us with questions about how much faster or why.
yanges

2005-05-04, 17:58

then i stick with my original post:

they all guarantee it to work and to me that is all that matters! :smokey:

yanges

dual 2.0ghz PowerMac, Tiger 10.4.2, 1gb ram, 19" Viewsonic CRT display, HK SoundSticks, iBot - Cube 450mhz, OSX.2, 1.2gb ram, Apple CRT 17" Studio Display