User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Screw problem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Screw problem
mama's left eye

2005-06-11, 00:51

Well, my deployment hasn't gone very good so far My powerbook has fallen twice from chest level (I'm 6'3) and is a little worse for where. I have to praise it because it still works just fine. Couple of dents in the aluminum and that's it.

Ok, now on to my problem at hand. I took it apart to blow all of the sand and dust out. Even with all of the dust and sand blowing around, I was pleasantly shocked to see the inside very clean. Well, as I was putting it back together I put one of the side screws into the DVI port screw holes. (I NEVER claimed to be very bright) lol It went in and it has room to move around inside but it won't come out. I tired shaking it, glue, a pin, and a magnet. No joy. Anyone have any tips? I appreciate any help you can give.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-06-11, 23:21

I think you've tried most of what I would. Maybe try to adhere the screwdriver to the screw and then "unscrew" it like you normally would with the adhesive keeping the screw on the screwdriver. Or use the pin for leverage and "unscrew" it. Those might help. I wish you the best, and thank you for serving our country!
Tony

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-06-12, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama's left eye
Well, my deployment hasn't gone very good so far My powerbook has fallen twice from chest level (I'm 6'3) and is a little worse for where. I have to praise it because it still works just fine. Couple of dents in the aluminum and that's it.

Ok, now on to my problem at hand. I took it apart to blow all of the sand and dust out. Even with all of the dust and sand blowing around, I was pleasantly shocked to see the inside very clean. Well, as I was putting it back together I put one of the side screws into the DVI port screw holes. (I NEVER claimed to be very bright) lol It went in and it has room to move around inside but it won't come out. I tired shaking it, glue, a pin, and a magnet. No joy. Anyone have any tips? I appreciate any help you can give.
There is a form of metal weld which works like epoxy resin for glueing metal together. You mix two greyish blobs of putty together and use it like blue tac. It is available at most car shops in the UK and is from the US so I would guess you should find it quite easilly.

It will bond most metals to other metals with the strength of a weld.
You could try resurrecting your pin, and putting a well mixed, warm blob of that on the end and forcing it into the head of the screw.

Wait an hour or so (or whatever the instructions say) and then try to extract it. It is likely gonna hold a lot better than super glue.
Good luck.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-06-12, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
There is a form of metal weld which works like epoxy resin for glueing metal together. You mix two greyish blobs of putty together and use it like blue tac. It is available at most car shops in the UK and is from the US so I would guess you should find it quite easilly.

It will bond most metals to other metals with the strength of a weld.
You could try resurrecting your pin, and putting a well mixed, warm blob of that on the end and forcing it into the head of the screw.

Wait an hour or so (or whatever the instructions say) and then try to extract it. It is likely gonna hold a lot better than super glue.
Good luck.
I haven't personally tried this method, but I think you would need to be VERY careful that you don't drip it anywhere besides the screw
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-06-12, 00:35

It doesn't drip. It's like Blue Tac or putty.
You can put a very small ball on the head of the pin and then contact glue / weld it to the head of the screw.
There is absolutely zero risk of glueing it to the case or tube that the screw is in as long as you use a small ball.

[scratt accepts no legal or moral responsibility for any information given, and it is provided as is. If you follow scratt's advice it is solely at youur own risk. scratt will enter into no personal communications whatsoever, nor court any approaches from legal representatives of any person (living or dead) in the event that any information in this post leads to personal loss or damges for anyone (living or dead) on this planet or not in any way shape or form.]

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-12, 00:37

Yeah, don't do that. I don't know what kind of access you have to items while you're deployed, but there are reverse outs you can use in this situation. (i've done it before)

While it tightens and bites into the screw it's turning it to loosen it. Works pretty well. Otherwise my brother in law is going back to Iraq in a week or so, depending on where you're stationed I could see if he could get them to you. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-06-12, 00:42

Of course if you are delpoyed it might not be very easy to find metal putty glue stuff! Didn't realise that.. Should have read your post more carefully..

But then again it might be the kind of thing engineers might have... But they also may have other options for you too...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-06-12, 00:58

If you aren't a Electronics Tech then you should take it to the guys who are and see if they will hook you up. Most of the time they are willing to do that kind of thing. They would have mini tools for working on the radios and such that would really help. I would avoid anything that would render the screw worthless once it is removed since you can't just run to the store and get another one.
Tony

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
mama's left eye

2005-06-12, 04:22

Thanks for the help. I haven't tried the metal putty (JB Weld I'm assuming) yet. I've got some stuff like it, but it is pretty permanent and I am waiting to use it as a last resort. I have more screws that will work, but I would like to hook up to my TV when I get back using the DVI port. The worst part about the whole thing is that I am an electronics technician :P The computer guys here don't know how to get it besides disassembling the laptop almost entirely. I'm not saying I don't trust their work.(I don't trust their work) I would do it myself but I haven't found an up-to-date take-apart guide for it. If the warranty isn't voided already by my dropping it, I don't want screw myself by doing something stupid on the inside. I appreciate all of the suggestions. I'll give an update when I finally get it out.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.