User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 20 of 31 First Previous 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-26, 10:09

They're going to have failures, but boy howdy on a spit have those guys been nailing it or what?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-07-26, 21:21

This week I took my mom to see the documentary Apollo 11. It's stunning in IMAX! Archival footage, no narration. STUNNING!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-29, 20:23

Is that the one with Tom Hanks in it?

I'm actually looking forward to see it. I read about them getting media from The Archives to get some of the content. I image it is well worth seeing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-29, 22:22

It was all faked. The "archive" footage was produced by Looney Toons.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-09, 23:25

Thought I would post this. Perhaps not that big of deal to all you space people, but my daughter goes to school at NNU, so it's pretty cool, even though she has no involvement in this. Still, it's a small school and I'm proud of her, so here you go.

P.S. There's a certain computer in the background in the video, and who knows—we might have sold it to them.

P.P.S. Watching it gives me the chills. Seriously. I mean, my kid is over their majoring in education and may one day teach a student how to chase their dreams! I'm just … a proud dad!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-08-10, 01:57

Video of the SpaceX payload fairing recovery ship catching a fairing half from the other day’s AMOS-17 launch, the second successful catch of a steerable-parafoil-equipped fairing half. The other half was retrieved from the ocean by a support vessel.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) Tweeted:
Rocket fairing falls from space & is caught by Ms Tree boat https://t.co/nJv0Ry1iKk

They have now just acquired a second, identical ship to be outfitted with the same net system so both halves can be caught, preventing saltwater exposure entirely for fairing recovery. Named Ms Chief, it arrived at Port Canaveral yesterday where it will be outfitted at SpaceX’s dock site.

They’re also bringing the second booster landing droneship from California to Florida to allow downrange Falcon booster landings with the planned increase in launch rate. A third droneship is also being built, likely to take over in California.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-08-10, 08:58

I love the names.

Just Read the Instructions
Of Course I Still Love You
A Shortfall of Gravitas

And now Ms Tree & Ms Chief for the other bits?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-10, 10:10

I wonder how much it costs to recover that fairing vs. how much it costs to build a new one?
Dr. Bobsky

2019-08-10, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I wonder how much it costs to recover that fairing vs. how much it costs to build a new one?
It's about the amount of time between launches, and some recognition of the fact that dumping things into the ocean isn't an ethical choice.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-08-10, 15:23

Fairings are the cheapest part of the rocket, the problem is they take forever to manufacture. Complex carbon fiber manufacturing processes and whatnot. With the launch cadence they want to get to, recovering and reusing fairings is a key step.
¡Damned!

2019-09-06, 11:11

In a few hours India is hoping to be the fourth country to successfully land on the moon, and the first to land in the Moon's southern polar region. They're streaming it on the official ISRO YouTube channel ~3:30 ET: Chandrayaan-2 Vikram lander.

Pretty exciting!

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-06, 11:50

Interesting. You know, not a lot of truly "cool" things have happened since man last stepped on the moon (imo—don't freak out ). Yeah, I know we've bounced a few pieces of metal off random orbiting things, but it feels very much like another human is not far off from setting foot on something other than Earth. And that is the true measure of man: To explore—in person!

I am also quite confident the next human being to put his/her dainty little pigs on a distant rock will not be from the United States. We seem to have the attitude of "been there, done that". It almost feels lackadaisical, like we're more interested in funding Gigantocorp than exploring. Other nations seem more interested in being the first non-U.S. entity to walk about somewhere else.

I hope this goes well for India.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-06, 15:45

The Indians could really learn a lot about televising these missions from SpaceX. So much dead time with no information being given.

Edit: Ooooo... communications was lost between the lander and the orbiter before touchdown.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2019-09-06, 15:48

Yeah, doesn't look good for the lander. Science is hard.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-06, 18:02

That would explain why the people in the comfy chairs got up and left the viewing are before they stated what was going on. Also why the numbers were incrementing on the large status screen on the right, other than T minus counter.

I really hope it survived or we at least get confirmation photos of its fate.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-06, 18:47

Makes one consider just how much engineering effort went into the Apollo missions. How many people sat at desks using slide rules to figure that stuff out?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-06, 21:27

Funny enough, my pastor mentioned the first twelve failed launches the US had trying to get to the moon during last weeks sermon. It was merely a bullet point to him, but how timely for the Indian's to have a failed attempt this time. My kids didn't understand either so I had to explain to them how hard it really was.

Just getting off the ground is hard. Then getting through out atmosphere is really hard. Then being pointed in the right direction. Not over shooting your target. Missing an orbit entry, having to hit it just right or slingshot across space. Then once in orbit having to get the lander off and in the right direction...etc... By the time I was done my kids were so happy they even got to the point of getting the lander headed in the right direction.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-06, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Science is hard.
Orbital mechanics is hard!!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-27, 11:10

Well, I've set an alarm for 2:30 MST. Want to see if SpaceX pulls this off. If a private company can put two guys in the ISS, how long will it be before they stick a couple on the moon?

On a side note, I bet Elon Musk is nervous as hell right now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-27, 12:36

I can't wait to see this. I'm thrilled I saw this though I'm still at work when it launches. Hopefully it will not be a problem and I can watch it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-27, 13:38

I'll tell you one thing, that is a cool crew capsule!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-27, 15:18

And, poop! Foul weather has ended it for the day. Too bad.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-27, 15:37

Yeah, I was able to watch it too.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-05-29, 19:48

Ouch.

Starship prototype SN4 had, uh, a problem after the static fire earlier.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-30, 11:42

Scheduled for 3:22PM Eastern..

Both astronauts have boarded and are being situated right now. 50% chance of scrub based on weather at this point.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-30, 13:28

Yep. Watching now. Stupid weather!

Edit T -50:00 : Weather looking good. Yay!

Edit T -47:00 : Go for propellant load

Edit T -35:00 : Yay, fuel

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-05-30 at 13:50.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-30, 14:47

Congratulations to NASA and SpaceX. Beautiful launch, beautiful recovery of the Falcon 9, and a beautiful orbital insertion.

And Godspeed Bob and Doug!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-30, 20:56

My goodness, this hit me today.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-06-01, 08:01

I made a Very important observation.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-06-01, 15:56

Haha! They were one of two things I resisted.