User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 20 of 49 First Previous 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24  Next Last Thread Tools
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-01-15, 18:47

If no one minds I'm going to set up shop in the ENE winter zone. The Hosket gods must be pleased.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-15, 18:53

Wow, I love glass floors that give you a good overlook.

¡Damned!

2011-01-15, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Awww, bugger...the server is full. Guess I'll have to find something else to do.
Holy crap. I log out for a sec and now can't get back in either.

Last night I couldn't get in at all, but I reckon that's because so many people wanted to check out the new update.

So it goes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-15, 19:27

Me too. I think it was something else though. i'm out for the evening so I can run around town IRL.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-01-15, 20:43

I'm going to hunt for a winter biome of my own at some point, and make a rink, etc. Not until other things are done, though.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-15, 20:51

I'm getting a "took too long to login" error. Is that the one you get when the central Minecraft Auth server is crappy, or is it the AN server that doesn't like me?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-15, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm getting a "took too long to login" error. Is that the one you get when the central Minecraft Auth server is crappy, or is it the AN server that doesn't like me?
That usually happens when minecraft.net itself takes too long to respond to your authentication. Just try again until it works.

edit: Yep. Seeing the same thing on my local server. Just gotta wait it out.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-15, 21:30

So, I logged on and had a wander around - didn't really do anything productive.

Artega: there's a tunnel ("Bunion Tunnel") right outside the Arena that doesn't go anywhere. It's built right where I was intending to build the foyer and hotdog stands for the Arena. If you're really attached to it, I can try and incorporate an entrance into the new structure, but the existing entrance structure needs to go.

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-01-15 at 23:03.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2011-01-15, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I'm going to hunt for a winter biome of my own at some point, and make a rink, etc. Not until other things are done, though.
I guess I'm lucky to get out here first then.

There's a natural amphitheater out where I'm building. Perfect shape and size to build a hockey barn (open air of course). I've put torch ridden posts on the peaks to flag as claimed.

I can see the massive mountain islands where I died earlier today to the north. Lot of resources out there.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-01-15, 22:19

Not worried about that, Ely. Got a loooooong way to go before I'll be looking for that. Gonna recreate Yost Ice Arena and Michigan Stadium, I think, when I find that.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-15, 22:49

Server full! Wow...

So is now the time we earnestly discuss upgrade costs?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-16, 00:09

I've posted a thread in the moderators forum here to discuss potential server upgrades. I'll keep you guys posted if/when we decide to open the floor for donations to make the move. Gotta check the Amazon account, verify that the PayPal account is still in good standing, etc.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

¡Damned!

2011-01-16, 01:41

arteggio: I was building the skyway West and ran into a glitch that left me unable to proceed for a bit (until the crew came to help figure it out, thanks again guys ), so I decided to head South to see if I could find your place. It was closer than I thought. I built a little offshoot towards your place that ends on the top of the hill directly North of your castle (cool place, btw). I ran out of lumber and had to borrow a block of wood out of your chest out front, but I'll replace it when I head back over there. Note that the skyway is still in progress and a lot of it is still 1 block wide, so be careful. Should be safer than the ground at night though.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-16, 01:46

I just restarted the server with an unstable build of Bukkit wrapping it. *fingers crossed* This will also break when Minecraft server updates, but at least the Bukkit community is active and relatively quick to update. The plugins I've installed add support for whitelisting (which is now enabled again) and for /home warps.

As with before, you each get to set your own /home, but you can also warp to someone else's home using "/home username" if that person has invited you or made it public. Some docs:

Quote:
Commands
/home - Go home, young chap
/home set - Sets your home. If you already had a home, it overwrites your old one.
/home delete - Deletes your home, but why would you want to do that?
/home invite <player> - Invites <player> to your home
/home uninvite <player> - Uninvites <player> to your home
/home <player> - Go to <player> 's home (If you're given permission)
/home public - Makes it so that anyone can visit your home.
/home private - Makes your home private again. (only you and your friends can go to it).
Note: <player> is currently case-sensitive. So, /home BradSmith will work, but /home bradsmith will not.

Please consider making your homes public to ease travel around the world until /warp is working again.

arteggio

2011-01-16, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Artega: there's a tunnel ("Bunion Tunnel") right outside the Arena that doesn't go anywhere. It's built right where I was intending to build the foyer and hotdog stands for the Arena. If you're really attached to it, I can try and incorporate an entrance into the new structure, but the existing entrance structure needs to go.
Yeah, it got cut off with the terrain regeneration... You can do what you want with it, below and above ground. Wasn't the most direct route to Anchorage anyway. Sorry for just popping up out of the ground there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
arteggio: I was building the skyway West and ran into a glitch that left me unable to proceed for a bit (until the crew came to help figure it out, thanks again guys ), so I decided to head South to see if I could find your place. It was closer than I thought. I built a little offshoot towards your place that ends on the top of the hill directly North of your castle (cool place, btw). I ran out of lumber and had to borrow a block of wood out of your chest out front, but I'll replace it when I head back over there. Note that the skyway is still in progress and a lot of it is still 1 block wide, so be careful. Should be safer than the ground at night though.
Cool! Thanks for that. I'll go ahead and figure out a ramp configuration to connect myself up to it, probably made of cobble to continue with the castle style.

I actually have a surplus of wood now, thanks to my uncontrolled tree farms, so that's fine.

Edit: I see you already made the extension out of stone. Only thing is, the entrance to the castle is at the east end of the island, so is it fine if it connects somewhere around there? I was thinking about basing it on the island just east of mine, then making people swim across to get to the castle's steps. Natural moat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
. . . /home . . .
Hallelujah.

Edit: Thought: If this becomes a long term solution, maybe we could make a thread with where our homes lead so that we have a clue where we might be teleporting to. Not sure what the ETA is for warping.

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-01-16 at 07:48.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-16, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I've posted a thread in the moderators forum here to discuss potential server upgrades. I'll keep you guys posted if/when we decide to open the floor for donations to make the move. Gotta check the Amazon account, verify that the PayPal account is still in good standing, etc.
Look into the viglink thing I posted about a couple of months ago. No need for donations directly from us when you can have merchants pay us for linking to them!

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

¡Damned!

2011-01-16, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Edit: I see you already made the extension out of stone. Only thing is, the entrance to the castle is at the east end of the island, so is it fine if it connects somewhere around there? I was thinking about basing it on the island just east of mine, then making people swim across to get to the castle's steps. Natural moat.
That stone "extension" was just a test of the problem edge. Basically, the glitch wouldn't let me place a block on the skyway to continue West, so bbsky thought it might be a chunk and was looking for the edge. You couldn't place a block anywhere along that line, even on the ground. So strange. The solution was to build up and around and place the block from the opposite direction. Which makes no sense at all, of course, but at least I can get to the next Western piece of land and end that section.

Long story short, all that stuff is coming down.

If you want to make a connection where it works best for you (or out of a material other than wood, etc.) have at it. The only reasons I hooked into the place that I did is that the hilltop was convenient, close to you and close to my glitch.

[edit]: anyone else having server connection issues this morning?

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-01-16 at 11:56.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-16, 12:15

I'm being refused, I can't even get on.

arteggio

2011-01-16, 13:06

Same thing here. Started around 11 I think.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-16, 13:12

Connection refused for me too.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2011-01-16, 13:23

Well at least I'm not the only one then.

Forced me to do actual work.

¡Damned!

2011-01-16, 14:35

Was Brad testing a whitelist last night and forgot to put us on it?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-16, 14:37

No.... It seemed to work after Brad had introduced bukkit.

Either Brad is doing more tests, or something broke?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-16, 15:13

Maybe it was a trojan and the world has come to an end.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-16, 15:33

Crashed.

Quote:
Exception in thread "Listen thread" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Looks like I need to bring back down the player count or figure out how to schedule rolling restarts, assuming it's a leak or the garbage collector not doing its job.

I've manually restarted it just now.

Bonn89

2011-01-16, 19:41

Uh. I think the questionable painting crashed the server. :P

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-16, 19:52

So, it turns out that Bukkit really isn't ready for prime time. I leaks memory badly which leads to a crash in the VM after an indeterminate time. We've crashed three times just today; so, I'm going back to the plain old unmodded server.

I'll keep following Bukkit's development and will try again later.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-16, 19:54

OK. The /home warp was slow and unreliable anyway. Shame about hmod, but such is life.

Oh, and CHARCOAL rules my world.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-16, 20:25

I was really enjoying the hmod and wish it would come back. But, instead I'll just keep dirt on me so I can build a shelter as needed.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-01-16, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I was really enjoying the hmod and wish it would come back. But, instead I'll just keep dirt on me so I can build a shelter as needed.
Just remember - building a shelter straight up is no longer safe.