User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 25 of 49 First Previous 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-01-25, 17:33

Questions for ya bobsky: Are you going to level the mountain under the SW corner of the sky ranch? Also, do you mind if I sneak under the ranch to hook into the main skyway system at the base of your ranch? I got a little more ambitious with some of the new skyway planning and may want to wrap it around at the southern end back into the mains. Maybe even a stretch that gets behind the Arena and over to Kitty Hawk.

Sound OK with you? Anybody else have any concerns? I'm going to hold off for a while on that section until I hear what the new mob plans are, but if y'all are on tonight maybe you could come take a look and give me some input. I want to do this right so it's easy to get from place to place but doesn't get too wonky.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-25, 18:01

It'll end up being a weird roundabout route to Kitty Hawk. The way to and from the Arena/Farm area is not via regular Skyway - those bridges are rapid minecart lines that run from Castle Bryson to the Arena and from the Farm to the Treehouse. They don't currently connect directly to the Skyway system or each other. (Especially the Treehouse/Farm line - that's basically for my own personal convenience - never seen anyone else use it.).

I'm happy for the Skyway to come over that way but I'd like to help with the planning and construction: it may end up blocking views or areas I had plans for.

Bonn89

2011-01-25, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Bonn: hope it's ok, but I went ahead and built a minecart launching mechanism at the Bridgeport station. It works (barely: the lag is pretty nasty) but right now it just dumps you in the tunnel near the Arena.
Perfectly fine! That was the idea anyway, I wanted it to end up in a station of sorts either behind the AN sign or outside the arena.

I'll hopefully be back on the server in the next few days. The server I had previously been playing on, with some real-life friends, just got back online, so I've been busy catching up with them, along with introducing my best friend to Minecraft.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-25, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I don't follow. Can you elaborate on this a little further? Is there something in the algorithm that limits the number of baddies spawned? How does one trap, all the way across the map, have anything to do with another trap?
200 (actually it may be 128 or so, but the exact formula isn't well defined or at least there is contradictory information from various sources looking at the java coding) hostile mobs are allowed on the map at a time. Hostile mobs are only spawned where there are active regions. If we are all using our various mob traps simultaneously, each individually is less efficient.

You should note that if you are the only one on the map, your mob trap will be incredibly busy. This is this sort of math in action. The goal of the communal trap is to create a singular location where people can either individually or collectively gather to collect the bounty -- it being designed optimally enhances this effect.

On that I have started to build a model using one of the free programs for designing large structures. I may upload a few images tonight that give the general sense of what I am thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Questions for ya bobsky: Are you going to level the mountain under the SW corner of the sky ranch? Also, do you mind if I sneak under the ranch to hook into the main skyway system at the base of your ranch? I got a little more ambitious with some of the new skyway planning and may want to wrap it around at the southern end back into the mains. Maybe even a stretch that gets behind the Arena and over to Kitty Hawk.
Oooh. Under the ranch... hmmm... could be workable -- the mountain is not currently going to be leveled if this mob trap i am proposing gets built.

However: do note that if you are to build a connection under the ranch, you are probably going to want to go over the area that is already developed beneath -- I can give you some parameters, but essentially, aim for being directly over or slightly north of the southern cactus fence.

¡Damned!

2011-01-25, 19:12

Here's a quick map of the areas under construction and up for any input/change:

RED: Built, mostly complete.
WHITE: Small offshoot to my place.
BLUE: (?) Initially I had the base blocks extending out this far from the hub, but wanted to get iJak's input before I turned back north to the main skywalk as I thought it might get too close to the biodome. We had a look together and decided to move it back about 40 blocks. The blue section is still there though. It could either A) hook into the sky ranch (about 10-12 blocks up I'm guessing) B) hook into the upper level of the mob watchtower (close, probably within one or two blocks if it isn't right on) or C) get torn down. I'm good with any of the above.
ORANGE: An offshoot that gets close to the sand farm, plus some nice areas around it in general.
MAROON: This is 50/50 right now. There's an island (or 3 close if someone wants to hook them together) that would make an absolutely awesome build site. I may put a stretch in that tapers down to the sandbar as to not make the skyway super intrusive. Very cool spot with some deep, scary caves.
YELLOW: This is the proposed stretch that would hook back into the main skyway system at the base of the sky ranch. At the elbow there I thought about adding something(s) to get to Kitty Hawk and possibly the Arena. Any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated.

The black circles are stairways/steps that meet the ground. The one on the yellow stretch (?) is possible if the mountain doesn't go away.

Please chime in everyone. This is still a work in progress and I want everybody to be super happy with it.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-25, 19:14

Looking good, 709!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-25, 19:23

Are these "skyways" typical on other Minecraft worlds or have they evolved other forms of transport?

arteggio

2011-01-25, 19:32

Quote:

MAROON: This is 50/50 right now. There's an island (or 3 close if someone wants to hook them together) that would make an absolutely awesome build site. I may put a stretch in that tapers down to the sandbar as to not make the skyway super intrusive. Very cool spot with some deep, scary caves.
If you wanted to go out that far again, you could extend the maroon branch all the way into the long N-S stretch I made for my island from your first westward branch, permitting two different ways to reach the wild west.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-01-25, 19:44

Quote:

BLUE: (?) Initially I had the base blocks extending out this far from the hub, but wanted to get iJak's input before I turned back north to the main skywalk as I thought it might get too close to the biodome. We had a look together and decided to move it back about 40 blocks. The blue section is still there though. It could either A) hook into the sky ranch (about 10-12 blocks up I'm guessing) B) hook into the upper level of the mob watchtower (close, probably within one or two blocks if it isn't right on) or C) get torn down. I'm good with any of the above.
Extend this to the Southern Branch of the Skyway that goes to mushroom crater.

Quote:
YELLOW: This is the proposed stretch that would hook back into the main skyway system at the base of the sky ranch. At the elbow there I thought about adding something(s) to get to Kitty Hawk and possibly the Arena. Any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated.
This is no good as it will come into direct conflict with the proposed communal mob trap. I suggest tearing it down and going much further south -- a straight line from the orange East-West line should be good.

Quote:
The black circles are stairways/steps that meet the ground. The one on the yellow stretch (?) is possible if the mountain doesn't go away.
I recommend not having a staircase to anywhere under the skyranch.

¡Damned!

2011-01-25, 19:46

I'd like to keep the route to the island "pristine" but I'd love to connect to your skyway if you're game. Everyone should see your place, imo.

How about something like this:

I'd already considered bridging across the sand to get to the grassy plain, and it wouldn't be too much more to connect it to your main entrance. Does that look good to you?

So it goes.

arteggio

2011-01-25, 19:53

Quote:
I'd like to keep the route to the island "pristine" but I'd love to connect to your skyway if you're game. Everyone should see your place, imo.

I'd already considered bridging across the sand to get to the grassy plain, and it wouldn't be too much more to connect it to your main entrance. Does that look good to you?
Sounds perfect. (I was going to suggest the elbow of my skyway, just to square things out.) I discovered those luring islands a couple weeks ago and considered building on them, but never bothered.

Can't wait for the tourists. At least I'll have more options to get out there from civilization though; it's quite a walk.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-25, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
200 (actually it may be 128 or so, but the exact formula isn't well defined or at least there is contradictory information from various sources looking at the java coding) hostile mobs are allowed on the map at a time. Hostile mobs are only spawned where there are active regions. If we are all using our various mob traps simultaneously, each individually is less efficient.

You should note that if you are the only one on the map, your mob trap will be incredibly busy. This is this sort of math in action. The goal of the communal trap is to create a singular location where people can either individually or collectively gather to collect the bounty -- it being designed optimally enhances this effect.

On that I have started to build a model using one of the free programs for designing large structures. I may upload a few images tonight that give the general sense of what I am thinking.
Sounds good.

When does the zoning commission meet?

¡Damned!

2011-01-25, 20:43

OK, new map:

HOT PINK are the new routes. I'm going off of the BLUE stretch to underneath the sky farm (and angling it at the end as to not interfere will the water phallus), and then building a connector down that angles SE, goes to land, then heads over to KH. Any objections? arteggio? I'm not too close to Anchorage am I? It looks awesome from the air, btw.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-25, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Are these "skyways" typical on other Minecraft worlds or have they evolved other forms of transport?
I dunno - I've only ever been on one other server, and it didn't have them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Sounds good.

When does the zoning commission meet?
Here! Now!

Quote:
OK, new map:

HOT PINK are the new routes. I'm going off of the BLUE stretch to underneath the sky farm (and angling it at the end as to not interfere will the water phallus), and then building a connector down that angles SE, goes to land, then heads over to KH. Any objections? arteggio? I'm not too close to Anchorage am I? It looks awesome from the air, btw.
Looks cool. But how about one from Mushroom Crater to outside the arena, then extending that down to Kitty Hawk - close the loop. Otherwise Kitty Hawk is a weird roundabout route from the Spawn.

Like this:

Does that make sense? I'll build the staircase there and integrate it into the Arena Front Of House facilities.

Quote:

?

Doesn't that defeat the object of the skyway keeping off the ground so safe from Mobs? Also, if someone chooses to develop those islands, won't they link them as part of their design? I'm not planning it myself but I can see the appeal of "virgin" land to develop.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-25, 22:21

I'm considering developing one of those islands; a so called "fortress of solitude" I wouldn't be opposed to building my own skyway on/off ramp.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-25, 22:29

You see the areas where you can see the "chunks" manifesting: like this:

Is that a consequence of the forced recreation? Or were they always like that? Because I don't see any areas like that on the "old" parts of the map.

I don't see anything particularly close to me to check out in-game, but do they seem abrupt and out-of place when you encounter them there?

¡Damned!

2011-01-25, 23:06

Quote:
Looks cool. But how about one from Mushroom Crater to outside the arena, then extending that down to Kitty Hawk - close the loop. Otherwise Kitty Hawk is a weird roundabout route from the Spawn.

Like this:

Does that make sense? I'll build the staircase there and integrate it into the Arena Front Of House facilities.

Doesn't that defeat the object of the skyway keeping off the ground so safe from Mobs? Also, if someone chooses to develop those islands, won't they link them as part of their design? I'm not planning it myself but I can see the appeal of "virgin" land to develop.
Hmm. Yeah, you're right. Kitty Hawk would be kind of strange. I may do a "Y" at the end of the pink path. I liked that it hit close to the spawn/skyway tower. I'll do something close to your black line too. Thanks!

wrt the last question, those weren't meant to be skyways so much as connectors.... artfully done of course. But I'll leave them alone for the moment. If Maciej is going there I don't want to interfere with any plans he may have. I may still connect to arteggio's, just from the south end.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-26, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Also, the Skycastle is basically done, and everyone should come visit and decorate because it's pretty barren.
Skycastle Island is both awesome and terrifying. Terrifying because mobs spawn in the unlit scaffolding beneath it, fall safely to the water below, and give chase as you try to swim to the nearest the ladder/waterfall.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-26, 08:26

Quote:
You see the areas where you can see the "chunks" manifesting: like this:

Is that a consequence of the forced recreation? Or were they always like that?
Possibly. I'm sure it's a bug in the temperature/rainfall algorithm, though, because some stretches of "recreated" land have perfectly smooth boundaries between sand and grass even though these jumbled sections appear periodically.

Quote:
I don't see anything particularly close to me to check out in-game, but do they seem abrupt and out-of place when you encounter them there?
Not so much. The glitch only appears to affect the surface material and not the altitude. So, the surface's shape is still smooth despite the unusual cuts between materials.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

arteggio

2011-01-26, 09:02

Quote:

The hot pink route's fine. I'll have to get down there and look at it sometime.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-26, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Skycastle Island is both awesome and terrifying. Terrifying because mobs spawn in the unlit scaffolding beneath it, fall safely to the water below, and give chase as you try to swim to the nearest the ladder/waterfall.
Also, I think there is exactly one spot on the surface which is just barely dark enough to spawn mobs. Because sometimes, a single mob will appear and chase you around.

It's only happened twice to me so far. Zombies both times. I've never seen it be more than one mob, and I've never been attacked twice in the same night. But it can happen

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-26, 15:06

Looks like hMod has been resurrected?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-26, 16:16

At last.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-26, 18:01

Quote:
I'm not even considering installing it now, though. As soon as the next MC server update is released, it'll break again, and we'll be likely without it for more weeks to come. It's a dead project, the main contributors have abandoned it, and these people are only very temporarily resuscitating it.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not banking on it. All the major devs have long since flocked to Bukkit.

Sorry.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-01-27, 04:19

So... Careful observers will note that the mob trap under the northern edge of the Sky Ranch has been finished and the foundation of the ranch over it completed.

What this means practically is that the mob trap is working at peak efficiency for its design, and holy hell is it awesome. Going AFK at the collection stream isn't ideal -- you get far more items if you run back and forth from standing well above the darkened trap on the second glass level to the collection area accessible by ladder now.The mobs flood into the trap so there is no need at all to taunt them (please don't because creeper repair is something I want to avoid entirely).

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-01-27, 09:57

As you guys can see I'm putting a sky walk across the NE to bridge some large gaps. I'll continue to the west and put in an access point at approximately that red clump of flowers.

Stage 2 will be a southern expansion that will hookup with the walk near Old Town and Mob Trap II. This will open up that largely unihabited area between my base and Bridgeport.

I'll post an edited map after work.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-27, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
So... Careful observers will note that the mob trap under the northern edge of the Sky Ranch has been finished and the foundation of the ranch over it completed.

What this means practically is that the mob trap is working at peak efficiency for its design, and holy hell is it awesome. Going AFK at the collection stream isn't ideal -- you get far more items if you run back and forth from standing well above the darkened trap on the second glass level to the collection area accessible by ladder now.The mobs flood into the trap so there is no need at all to taunt them (please don't because creeper repair is something I want to avoid entirely).
So I agree we should focus on one mob trap for capacities sake. Rather than take mine down we can just permanently light it, so if we ever have to do major renovation on yours, we can untorch mine and still have a working mob trap.

I like everything about the design of yours better. The only thing I think might be worth considering changing is the actual mob killer. The lava blade is awesome but it kills drops somewhat frequently. Maybe we should consider swapping it out for a drowning pit/cactus wall?

Whats the yield on yours? Because mine can churn out about 40 sulfurs an hour given ideal conditions. Yours is bigger so the yield should be higher. If it isn't, then it must be because of the lava blade.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-27, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Here's a map update for you map junkies, linked instead of inlined because it's a full 1:1::pixel:block image in pristine lossless PNG goodness. I took this snapshot shortly after the server auto-restarted, about an hour and a half ago.

world-20110127.png
What happened to the isometric maps?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-01-27, 11:41

Quote:
So I agree we should focus on one mob trap for capacities sake. Rather than take mine down we can just permanently light it, so if we ever have to do major renovation on yours, we can untorch mine and still have a working mob trap.

I like everything about the design of yours better. The only thing I think might be worth considering changing is the actual mob killer. The lava blade is awesome but it kills drops somewhat frequently. Maybe we should consider swapping it out for a drowning pit/cactus wall?

Whats the yield on yours? Because mine can churn out about 40 sulfurs an hour given ideal conditions. Yours is bigger so the yield should be higher. If it isn't, then it must be because of the lava blade.
I have not had an issue with the lava blade killing drops (it produces enough even with the fairly rare burning of a few items), but that said:

I am planning on building a bigger, better version of my trap (that will not require anyone to light their current traps) under most of the remaining area beneath the sky ranch.

It will be 144*144, so the entire active region around the player or players will be covered, and this means, practically speaking that other traps near by can remain unchanged with no detriment to the yield of items within the bigger trap as long as other areas where players are are reasonably lit/mob free. So don't worry about lighting up your trap. Yours is good for the player who wants to taunt mobs to death, my current one is good for some nice views on action below and a decent automated yield...

The intention with the new trap is to have it be a gravity death -- water pushes mobs to a central hole, below which there is nothing for almost 40 blocks and then the crush of earth kills them.

I will post pictures shortly of an overall water channel scheme and then finish the layer by layer design soon.

Here is the water design over view. i have noticed with my own trap that mobs tend to fight when water changes direction, the goal here then is to minimize turns. Any suggestions are welcome. I plan for the areas between the water channels to be two blocks higher than the highest water layer they contact, which i believe makes this entire thing 20 tall. The red outline is the exterior wall, the blue blocks are water sources, the gradient of grey indicates level of water channel.

This is an enormous undertaking, and I am seeking to minimize resources needed, which means the collection area will be sparsely build with no redundant floor beneath.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-01-27 at 14:01.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-01-27, 14:17

That looks good! I'm willing to help. If it would speed things up.