User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Tablet, PDA, or Nothing?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: What's Next: A Tablet, PDA, or Nothing?
A Tablet Mac 16 28.07%
A PDA 7 12.28%
Nothing. Stop Speculating! 19 33.33%
Apples taste good 15 26.32%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Tablet, PDA, or Nothing?
Kasracer

2006-01-13, 10:26

From all of the rumors going around, I tried to summarize them into 1 posting: LINK REMOVED, DON'T SPAM

It's hard to say what's going to be next.

My vote is for a Tablet. What do you think?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-13, 17:04

I think a Tablet Mac is much more likely than the rebirth of the Newton, but I wouldn't say either is very likely.

I'd love a Tablet Mac. It'd be perfect for Apple's creative professional userbase.

My dream Mac is called the Macintosh Canvas. It's a 12"-13" convertable tablet. It'd be matte black, and it'd have a curvier design than the rest of Apple's products - think Powerbook G3. It wouldn't be bulky, though - nothing like that.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
MacRonin

2006-01-15, 02:59

I would love to see an Apple MacPad Pro...

Use it with SketchUp & for on-the-go communications while in the field, but drop it into a cradle in the office and use it as a 'full-function' secondary display for a desktop rig...

In the office it would be driving the client front-end for the ArchiOffice/FileMaker database, and also function as video iChat terminal (iSight in the LCD thingie...), any documents called up from the database (or created by same) would appear on the larger main desktop screen for processing...

Main desktop would mostly be used for VectorWorks Architect...

Now the implementation between two seperate systems, getting them to act as one system when 'linked', that's what has me perplexed for now...
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-15, 13:50

A tablet would be relatively easy. All they'd have to do is take an iMac and make it smaller, and add a touch screen. They could drop the second core and give it only 1 RAM slot, then get a smaller HD.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-15, 14:09

Mmm, apples. I had half a dozen Gala apples in my fridge but when we cleaned it out last week, my roommate threw them out! She thought they were old. Oh well, she just has to get me some apples next time she shops.

I like Haralsons too.
EmC

2006-01-15, 14:43

Apples taste good. While I would love to see both a tablet and PDA, I definately don't think they are next on Apple's to-do list.

I realized on the first day of school that if Apple ever introduces a phone/iPod/PDA all-in-one I would buy one in a heart beat. I don't have enough pockets to carry all my gadgets. I would love to trade three in for one. Plus you would get native syncing with out having to mess with anything.

As for the tablet, I would get one too. I am student teaching this semester (finally graduating in May Whoooooo!) and I absolutely HATE turning my back to write on the board. I use an overhead projector most of the time as an alternative, but it gives me headaches and makes me uncomfortable because of the heat it gives off. I also hate being tethered to the front of the room where the projector is. I would love to be able to walk around the classroom montitoring sudents while I am putting notes on the board or check thier solutions to examples as I am putting them on the board.

Bundle it with a projector and a wireless appliance similar to the AirPort Express and were in business.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-01-15, 19:30

I don't think we'll see either for a long time. Apple are aware that with PPC and Intel at least temporarily coexisting, market saturation is about at its peak: replacing current hardware (MacBook Pro, the iPod Shuffle tweak we'll see in the summer) is all they'll do this year.

I can't see a PDA at all, either, I'd say Tablet is the only semi-likely option. I'd love to see a smartphone to rival Sony's P series, though