User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Just saw a great movie, "Garden State"...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just saw a great movie, "Garden State"...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 20:05

See this one, guys. Good stuff. Quite funny and right up my alley.

And yes, the lovely Ms. Portman plays a prominent role.

Anyone here seen it? I think the lead character in it was on that hospital comedy on NBC (name escapes me...looks like him). Sweet moments, and lots of laughs.

Movies like this - smaller, out of the way things - are SO much better, IMO. The laughs are real, not forced or based on outlandish slapstick or smart-ass "riffing".

A very real movie (check out Portman's living room and backyard...that's just "real", and most movies never really capture that at all).

Well written, well acted and a great ending. And a GREAT soundtrack (didn't know a single song except for an old Simon and Garfunkel tune, but enjoyed them all anyway). Some hilarious moments with the secondary players too (suit of armor, anyone?)

Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-29, 20:30

Well I'm a fan of the talented Ms. Portman as well, and on the strength of that review, I guess I'll be seeing it. I am assuming it is an OK 'chick' movie? - my wife will like it?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 21:16

Oh, certainly. She'll probably adore it.

It's not tacky or juvenile or gross at all.

In some ways, it reminds me of that movie "Outside Providence". It's like that movie, with a little "Royal Tannenbaums" and "Rushmore" thrown in, if that makes any sense. Even a smidgen of "American Beauty" in some of its quiet pathos.

I really, really enjoyed it. Every bit. As I said earlier, it was simply up my alley - stylistically, writing, pacing, visually, etc. - so I couldn't help but enjoy it. A much better movie, on every level, than everything else I've seen this spring and summer!

Just quirky enough to be watchable and enjoyable, but not so weird and freaky as to be off-putting, as some of these smaller, out-of-the-way films can be. It's one of those Fox Searchlight films, just small and almost "made on a budget" in feel. Nothing big and splashy at all.

Mostly just damn good writing/dialog, some gutbusting moments, some realistic scenes of longing and attraction, etc. Just seemed very real and "normal" to me. Wasn't trying to be cute, clever or "cutting edge". Just a solid, enjoyable movie. They tend to stand out because they're definitely the minority!

I saw it at the 4:10 Sunday afternoon showing...and the theater was PACKED, which totally surprised me. I've heard next to nothing about this and my town isn't exactly "independent film crazy", if you know what I mean. But everyone laughed and left the theater talking about it in positive, good tones (at least all the people around me that I was able to overhear).
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-29, 21:48

Reformed Portman fan speaking here...

Eh, she's so wooden...Garden State, Cold Mountain, Anywhere But Here, etc. Bleh. She grew out of her cute phase too!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 21:59

Ha, I'm stunned. Bug off.

She acted just fine. I know people that dingy and chirpy and fast-on-their-words. She acted like many late teen or early twenty-somethings I know. Can't be "wooden" and be that goofy, can she? The tap dancing?

And she might've outgrown her "cute phase", but she's entering into her sexy young woman one. No complaints. Same awesome smile!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-08-30, 06:51

I agree Eugene. Meh to her at this point. She's so monotone. I like Fred/Amy Acker from Angel much better.
¡Damned!

2004-08-30, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I think the lead character in it was on that hospital comedy on NBC (name escapes me...looks like him). Sweet moments, and lots of laughs.
Zach Braff from 'Scrubs'. He's not just the lead actor...he wrote and directed Garden State. Very talented guy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-30, 09:15

Yeah, I noticed that match at the end (showing the cast credits, then seeing his name again as writer/director). I'd only seen promos for "Scrubs", but I knew he looked familiar. I think I saw him on Conan or Leno one night too, several months ago.

Hey, thanks for not making a Natalie Portman post!

Has this guy done any other stuff like this, or was this his first?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-08-30, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Zach Braff from 'Scrubs'. He's not just the lead actor...he wrote and directed Garden State. Very talented guy.
he went to northwestern's film school here in chicago. he had a bunch of his student films win awards. maybe they'll be extras on the DVD.

i've got to get past the ray romano jr. thing though.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"