AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone incoming text message screen freeze bug

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone incoming text message screen freeze bug
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-12-25, 16:08

I've had an iPhone since July and have been running 1.1.2 since a week or so after it was released. I've also been in Mexico for work since August, so I haven't been sending or receiving too many text messages. However, I've noticed that since installing 1.1.2, my iPhone's screen freezes/crashes with every incoming text message. I've seen no mention of this bug/issue but it happens (or, more accurately, I can make it happen) every time on my iPhone.

It goes like this: My iPhone buzzes with an incoming text message and the preview appears onscreen with the Unlock button. If I swipe to unlock while the preview of the newly-arrived text message is still onscreen, swiping the unlock bar causes the screen to momentarily freeze, then a little spinning wheel appears onscreen for about 1 second, and then it crashes back to the normal unlock screen. I then have to re-swipe the unlock bar, which always works fine.

Aside from the strange screen lock/crash, I know some sort of crash has occurred because, upon unlocking the iPhone, my Text app doesn't have the red "1" on it to tell me I have a new/unread text message waiting.

I haven't tried restoring the phone -- the issue is annoying but not worth a full restore -- but I have restarted it a few times, which seems to be the default troubleshooting cure for a lot of minor iPhone ills.

Anyone else having this problem, or read about it elsewhere? Thanks.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-25, 19:33

Nope, my iPhone doesn't do that at all. I do turn it off once a week or so, just because, but the number of times it's frozen or spontaneously rebooted in the last 5 months can be counted on the fingers of a single hand.
almost2mac

2007-12-26, 22:39

I'd suggest trying the reset.