AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

One More Thing …

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
One More Thing …
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-02, 13:16

The most aptly named media event in Apple's history, and by far the most anticipated since the iPhone.

It is now official. Apple Silicon Macs will be announced one week from tomorrow.

Be still my heart!

I'm hoping for an iMac, but I'm not counting on one. I still suspect that is next year. A laptop and perhaps a new Mac Mini will make their debut next week, for sale immeidatley, but unobtainable until March.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-02, 14:23

I expect the mini simply because there is already one out as a devkit. Seems to be the easiest to put into mass production.

Then one of the smaller MacBook(Air) notebooks too. I wouldn't be shocked if they give a basic timeline for other machines.

Of course, release of Big Sur too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-02, 16:17

I won't be surprised if there is a new iPad Pro in 12.9", but not 11", since that size will suffer from iPad Air cannibalizing.

Edit: Also, the rumors are thickening quickly, and it looks like Apple may be shooting for the whole thing!

All portables, including MB Air, 13" MB Pro, and 16" MB Pro.

As Frank777 said, hitting the gates running would make a statement that Apple Silicon is just as good as Intel! If a 16" MB Pro drops, and the specs are on par with the current 16" MB Pro, then it will be no wonder why Apple is telling Intel to take a hike. "We're better than you!"

And the really big rumor: The new Mac Pro is well under way.

(Keep in mind that all this stuff is coming from Bloomberg, the world champion of citing "people familiar with the matter", i.e. themselves.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-11-02 at 16:54.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-11-02, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The most aptly named media event in Apple's history, and by far the most anticipated since the iPhone.

It is now official. Apple Silicon Macs will be announced one week from tomorrow.

Be still my heart!

I'm hoping for an iMac, but I'm not counting on one. I still suspect that is next year. A laptop and perhaps a new Mac Mini will make their debut next week, for sale immeidatley, but unobtainable until March.
The most anticipated since the iPhone?

No one cares about this event.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-11-02, 23:00

Really looking forward to this one.

I gave my wife my 2019 MBP a few months ago when she started her new job and I've been using my iMac and iPad Pro to get my work done. Really looking for a 13" MBP replacement out of this event.

Just not sure how they're going to bring these new models to market. What order are they going to go with? Big machine to show power they're capable of or small machine to show massive battery life improvements?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-03, 04:21

I might be confusing what I think will happen with what I want to happen, but my best guess is a replacement for the MacBook and MacBook Air, possibly in 12- and 13-inch versions. Faster than Tiger Lake (which Apple hasn't used) and much faster than Ice Lake, so they can claim significant performance boosts, but also with much more battery life.

Possibly on top of that a 24-inch iMac to replace the current 21-inch.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-03, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
No one cares about this event.
I care.

I need to replace a 6 year old MBP.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-11-03, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I care.

I need to replace a 6 year old MBP.

You’re posting on a 20 year old Apple fanatic forum that spun off as a rogue rebellion of another Apple forum. You’re not normal.

Mac and Apple loyalists may care, but not the general public. This event in no way is close to the most anticipated event since the iPhone.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-11-03, 09:55

Very disappointing the industrial design does not change for the laptops. I was really hoping to see Apple take some design risks with the change to Apple Silicon and make their industrial design a bit more fun and exciting again.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-03, 10:42

Quote:
Very disappointing the industrial design does not change for the laptops. I was really hoping to see Apple take some design risks with the change to Apple Silicon and make their industrial design a bit more fun and exciting again.
That's what I expected as well...what better time to give the lineup a design tweak/overhaul than the transition to a completely new architecture (or whatever the word is).

Two things...

1) The rumors talk about new 13" MacBooks (Air and Pro?) and a 16", with ongoing talk of a smaller 12" model and a 14" MacBook Pro to come. Maybe, for whatever reason(s), development on those new designs has been held up or hit a snag, and they figured "it's better we stick with a promised timeline, get these things out into the world sooner rather than later" (before Christmas, a good time to buy a MacBook Air for some). And then, later on in 2021, we get that new, redesigned 14" and 16" MacBook Pro with a second-generation of whatever they're going to call this processor/architecture? Not ideal, but if that's all they could do to get Apple silicon Macs out into the world before the end of the year, this was probably decided some time ago.

or...

2) Rumors are often spectacularly wrong (usually in the negative, but we have been pleasantly surprised a few times over the years as well). If they've had this transition in mind for a good while, there's no telling what they've had cooking up in the design labs the past few years to coincide with this transition (with or without Jony's finger in the pie). There's still a chance we get just that: new 14" and 16" MacBook Pro with a sleek, snazzy redesign and Apple guts and a successor to the Air in the form of that rumored "return" of a 12" MacBook? Three models, two inches apart, with a small, affordable(?) 12" MacBook (forget the "Air" designation...they're all "air" at this point; nothing in their lineup is bulky and ungainly, and hasn't been for years...it's a meaningless designation at this point, IMO), and then the higher-powered, more capable 14" and 16" Pro models?

That certainly makes the most sense - all new everything, "a new era for Apple", etc. - but we don't know what they've run into behind-the-scenes.

I personally don't like the idea of the new guts going into old designs, but, psychologically, maybe that's Apple's way of easing the transition? Those first Intel notebooks kept the PowerBook G4 look, correct? I've gotten fuzzier in my memory on these things over the years. People are funny, now more than ever...they need soft transitions, training wheels, a place to suck their thumbs, etc. God forbid they had to deal with a new industrial design, new architecture/naming scheme and new OS, all in one sitting.

I think that makes a lot cleaner, clearer distinction across the notebook line. Yeah, it kinda sucks that size would still be tied to price (and vice versa), but that 12" MacBook a few years ago had a perfectly usable display, and some may prefer that for basic, everyday tasks (and great portability for students and the like). So instead of having three models all occupy that 13" space (Air, not-so-Pro MacBook Pro and then the proper MBPs that start at $1,799), just have a totally capable 12" model for The Rest of Us™, and then the new 14" and 16" Pro models. Ideally, maybe those pro models could start closer to $1,599 with the 16GB RAM, etc.?

I don't know what this new in-house Apple guts bodes for pricing, but I'd like to think Macs won't go up. They cost enough already. So I'll be happy if they stay where they are. And I'd be thrilled if they even came down a bit (but I'm not holding my breath on that just yet).

So the optimist in me hopes for scenario #2 (new design to go with the new architecture), but the realist is prepared - and okay with - #1, knowing that before 2021 is out, we'll surely see the fully "new", redesigned notebooks across the lineup.

But it seems if people knew the "real" new stuff was coming in just a year or so, that might affect sales of whatever's announced next week (if they just shove the new guts into the existing bodies). So that's why part of me is thinking "they're not going to blow that opportunity to pair both...and make a real 'new era' impact". But I'm wrong on this shit more than not, so don't listen to me...

This is one of those times where I hope the rumors are way off, and we're dazzled with redesigned models next week...12" Air successor, 14" and 16" Pro models. And, I suppose the Mac mini could be part of it as well, since they're already kinda making those anyway? Just hope it comes in Blue Dalmatian.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-03 at 11:18.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-03, 14:13

Quote:
You’re not normal.

It's a fair cop.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-03, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Those first Intel notebooks kept the PowerBook G4 look, correct? I've gotten fuzzier in my memory on these things over the years.
Yes. The MacBook Pro was basically a rebranded PowerBook G4 with added iSight webcam (I think the infrared may also have been new).

The iMac was, y'know, identical to the iMac G5.

The Mac mini was identical to the Mac mini G4.

The MacBook, replacing the iBook G4, was a little different, but not that much.

The Mac Pro and Xserve were virtually identical to the Power Mac G5 and Xserve G5. (Did I forget any Mac?)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-03, 16:00

The industrial designs did not change for a generation or two.

And then they changed completely.

This first round could be all about same design, equivalent power, significant upgrade to battery life. New designs come later.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-03, 17:03

Hmmm.

In any case, next week will be the first Apple event I plan to watch with any genuine interest/curiosity in a loooong time.

Sorry, but I can't get spun up about watch bands, iPhone updates, streaming TV fare I'll never watch, etc.

But this stuff is interesting to me, even if I don't understand all the nitty-gritty and hardcore technical angles.

For those who still see Apple as more than just a phone/services/lifestyle outfit, it's exciting stuff.

I think about the lineup, a year from now...how it might look, the prices, etc. What will be around. What may not.

It's just nice to see the Mac getting some focus/attention, and some big moves.

dglow

2020-11-09, 20:14

The Mac’s design language has remained stagnant for too long... here’s to a bold new direction with AS Macs!
Apple is in such a different position today than they were in 2005. I see no need to replicate the transition strategy from back then.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-11-09, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglow View Post
The Mac’s design language has remained stagnant for too long... here’s to a bold new direction with AS Macs!
Apple is in such a different position today than they were in 2005. I see no need to replicate the transition strategy from back then.
It depends greatly on where the rollout starts. The Mac Mini, for example, will almost certainly get significantly downsized in its Apple Silicon version. Notebooks are defined by the size of the screen, and aluminum will still most likely be the material of choice, so Macbooks probably won't look a lot different. The new Pro is rumored to be a mini-me of the current version.

The device that will probably showcase bold new design language is the 24" iMac. But no-one knows if that's ready for tomorrow's announcement.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-09, 23:48

I care about laptops because we sell a ton of them, and I care about iMacs because I'm ready for a new one.

I care about price mostly because our customers do.

I care about design because it drives excitement.

I care about chip selection because Apple is held hostage.

I'm so ready for this!

chucker

2020-11-10, 00:58

On the one hand, the iMac is still the quintessential design statement of a Mac.

On the other hand, desktops just don’t matter that much any more. They haven’t in a long time. So Apple could go the quirky way of the Surface Studio, but I don’t think they will. Maybe as a special Mac Draw or something (more likely, as a 20-inch iPad Pro). I think the days of the iMac having daring designs like the G3 and G4 are over, because at this point, whom would they be for?

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-11-10, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
On the one hand, the iMac is still the quintessential design statement of a Mac.

On the other hand, desktops just don’t matter that much any more. They haven’t in a long time. So Apple could go the quirky way of the Surface Studio, but I don’t think they will. Maybe as a special Mac Draw or something (more likely, as a 20-inch iPad Pro). I think the days of the iMac having daring designs like the G3 and G4 are over, because at this point, whom would they be for?
Who were they for then? Even then, desktops were on their way out (at least in the iMac G5 and on days). If anything, Apple may sell a lot more iMacs now than they did then, just because of their scale.

And may as well do something. Although I feel like if Apple released a new Apple Thunderbolt Display for $500 it would likely kill a significant amount of iMac sales.

chucker

2020-11-10, 01:52

Quote:
Who were they for then? Even then, desktops were on their way out (at least in the iMac G5 and on days).
Yeah, exactly — if you look at the iMac G5 compared to the G4, it's clearly a much plainer, less daring design.

Quote:
If anything, Apple may sell a lot more iMacs now than they did then, just because of their scale.
Doubt it. They've also moved it upmarket. It ostensibly starts at $1,099 instead of $1,299 now, but really, the average sales price has probably gone way, way up.

Quote:
And may as well do something. Although I feel like if Apple released a new Apple Thunderbolt Display for $500 it would likely kill a significant amount of iMac sales.
Could be. Given that they just launched a $4,999 (stand not included) display, though, I don't think they're interested in that market.

Maybe if they have a particular twist to add — such as touch. But then they'll want you to pay extra, whether you care about the feature or not.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-11-10, 07:37

I bought a new iMac in August and a 13” MBP for my son a couple of weeks ago, so new models of those should be a lock, LOL.

When I bought the MBP, I had to go to Best Buy, as none of the 5-6 Apple stores around me had any stock.

I need the intel CPUs for application compatibility, so I’m not worried about these models being updated today.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-11-10, 09:00

Quote:

I love the 27", as it's my work computer of choice. MacBooks are just for checking email and surfing the web.

But to answer your question directly, it's the halo effect. Apple doesn't throw a gazillion iMacs at Hollywood TV shows for nothing.
It's the computer that gets the Mac noticed by the culture.

A redesigned 30" iMac is worth its weight in marketing gold, even if they're outsold by the MacBook lineup.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-10, 09:35

I was scrolling through my RSS feeds and saw where the Apple Store is down for the event. I brought back memories here where it was a highlight of the event coming and pushing the excitement... then is just got obnoxious.

At least my memory of it was the excitement of the pending event.

I'm really hoping work leaves me alone so I can watch this. While I don't anticipate me buying anything being announced, it would be nice to see where the products are going.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

¡Damned!

2020-11-10, 10:14

Best guesses where they'll move the Apple logo to on the front of the chinless iMac? Remove altogether? Embedded in the thin bezel behind the glass? Retain a thin aluminum strip at the bottom just for the logo? Asking the important questions here!

So it goes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-10, 10:15

I have to admit, I do hope the chin goes away. I pretended to understand why it was there, but that time has long past.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-10, 12:01

As we've talked about there before, the iMac has been distilled down to about all it can really be...the very thing Steve poo-pooed during the introduction of the iMac G4 in January 2002 (a flat screen with the guts glommed onto the back). Materials/sizes aside, that's been pretty much the iMac we've had since September 2004 with the iMac G5 unveiling.

20 years ago, they had color, translucency, curves, etc. to work with. Nothing seemed "off limits" during that cool period (the iEra, I've always called it...1998-2001). For better or worse, things just aren't that way anymore. The aluminum iMac, as we've known it since about 2007, seems pretty dialed-in.

Other than tweaking proportions and some chin removal (but that's never really bothered me the way it seems to others), I'm really not sure what they could do to the iMac that wouldn't come across as either "trying too hard" or "change for the sake of change"...neither of which I'm a big fan of. They're certainly not going to go back to colors and curves/swoops. All they're probably interested in doing at this point is removing more ports or "distractions" (although, that might've been Ive and his obsessions; with him gone, perhaps that mindset left with him and whoever's running that department now isn't so averse to functionality/utility).

"We've distilled the iMac down to a single 28" hunk of aluminum, at only 4mm thick and with no ports whatsoever." - Jony Ive, 2024 (assuming he'd stuck around).

The one thing I have wanted to see is some sort of adjustability. The nicest thing about the iMac G4 was that ability to put the display wherever/however you wanted. I used that feature/capability all the time, based on what I was doing at the moment. Sometimes I'd want it up, straight and eye level, and others I'd lower/tilt it. When someone came over and I wanted to show them something I was working on, I'd just rotate it over to them with a finger push. I don't know if others got into that feature as much, but it's the one part of that model that I miss.

That crazy-ass $1,000 stand they have now provides much of that (up and down and forward/backward tilt), but they'd have to figure out a way do incorporate that into an AIO without adding some crazy sum to the price...so I'm not holding my breath on that.

But I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of return to the iMac G4 philosophy...where the guts are in some compact, separate lower section that also serves as the base (it would have to be wide/heavy enough to securely support a 21.5"-27" display, of course), and then a "floating", infinitely-adjustable display - as thin/light as possible since it's no longer having to house the entire computer itself - above it. Although that that point, why not just sell the small base unit itself, as the mythical "headless iMac"?

Some say that's what the Mac mini kinda already is. And if you BTO it enough, I suppose it is. Then, after dropping $1,500+ on a somewhat-tricked-out Mac mini, you're still on the hook for a decent display to pair with it. And it'll be third-party for most because I don't think many people are going to pair a $5,000+ Apple Display (and a $1,000 stand) with a sub-$2,000 computer. There just aren't that many brain-damaged lottery winners out there.

PS - The online store is down. Yay...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-10 at 12:27.

¡Damned!

2020-11-10, 12:37

That's kind of along the lines of what I expect - basically a 23" iPad Pro/Air body on an adjustable stalk of some kind, much like the new displays (with swivel, if possible). An iPhone-thin display would be even sweeter, but then we run into the 'guts' problem, which your base idea would solve. Not sure they'll ever go that route again (since half the point of the sunflower base was the disc drive) but it's a fun thing to imagine.

Then again... there were all those patents around the beginning of the year showing off some weird dock-able single, curved sheet of glass concepts.

So it goes.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-10, 12:39

In our shop, 75-ish% of people buy laptops. Of those, the majority should be buying desktops. In general, students buy laptops because, well, duh; professionals buy laptops, some for portability and some because maybe portability; middle age regular folks buy laptops because they want to be seen as hip and cool; and older folks buy laptops because their kids tell them to.

In that pile, the majority buy laptops that never leave the desk. It's just silly, but it's the cool thing to do. I will be hard pressed to ever buy another laptop.

Give me a new iMac, and we will sell the hell out of them, because I recommend people buy the computer they need, not the one their kids think is cool.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-11-10, 12:57

Quote:
Yeah, exactly — if you look at the iMac G5 compared to the G4, it's clearly a much plainer, less daring design.

Doubt it. They've also moved it upmarket. It ostensibly starts at $1,099 instead of $1,299 now, but really, the average sales price has probably gone way, way up.

Could be. Given that they just launched a $4,999 (stand not included) display, though, I don't think they're interested in that market.

Maybe if they have a particular twist to add — such as touch. But then they'll want you to pay extra, whether you care about the feature or not.
Not sure why they wouldn't be interested in that market unless they are protecting iMac sales. Tech offices are clinging to old Apple Thunderbolt Displays. A $500 Apple Thunderbolt / USB 3 display would sell very well.

The twist is seamless integration and aesthetics, as it always has been.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-10, 13:07

I knew it!

M1!!!

8-core
4 high performance (world's fastest CPU core? YIPES!)
4 high efficiency

Holy cow this thing is a little beast!