User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Found the nano in-stock at store? Tell us where!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Found the nano in-stock at store? Tell us where!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
MacGenious

2005-09-08, 16:25

I'm starting this thread because after two hours of driving around, I have a huge headache.

My local Apple store here in Orlando received a shipment of the nano. I drove 40 minutes out there only to be told they didn't receive any of the 4GB black nanos, but they had plenty of everything else. I made a few stops on the way home to Best Buy and Circuit City, but no luck.

If you've found one, please tell us where. I'm not sure where else to look. I'm just hugely disappointed that I was told they were available only to get there and for them to have none. Why ship the other three and not the one every person is going to want?

Last edited by MacGenious : 2005-09-08 at 16:37.
Mikester

2005-09-08, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGenious

If you've found one, please tell us where. I'm not sure where else to look. I'm just hugely disappointed that I was told they were available only to get there and for them to have none. Why ship the other three and not the one every person is going to want?
Because nothing makes something a 'must-have' quicker than it being unavailable. Look at PS2 in the UK last Xmas, or the PSP release earlier this month.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 16:38

They did ship the one everyone wants, but that's the thing, everyone wanted one and now they're gone. It's not like they shipped (for example's sake) 50 white 2 gig, 50 black 2 gig, 50 white 4 gig and 25 black 4 gig. Some things just sell faster than others. Apple is probably also using this to gage the popularity of a black iPod for future products.

Don't dismay. Order online or keep checking the stores.

Come waste your time with me
MacGenious

2005-09-08, 17:26

DMBand0026,

I was on a pre-order list at the store. I was #7 for the 4GB black nano. So unless they only shipped six or I was screwed over by a "Mac Genius," they truly aren't supplying the hottest version of the bunch.
dougiemac

2005-09-08, 17:59

Steve didn't say they'd necessarily be available. He said a few stores would have them tomorrow (ie: today) and others would follow.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-09-08, 19:38

North Michigan Avenue in Chicago said they'd have them tonight (thurs 9/8)
at 7 p.m.
I was there this afternoon.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-09-08, 22:22

I'm camping out on Saturday morning at one of the many stores around me (making strategic calls on Friday).
I'll either go to the Apple Store in Century City (3.7mi), Santa Monica (6.7mi) or Hollywood (5.5mi).

I will have my nano this weekend!

Anyone in the area need one? Should I try to pick a extra one up if I can?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-09, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
North Michigan Avenue in Chicago said they'd have them tonight (thurs 9/8)
at 7 p.m.
I was there this afternoon.
We should have met this evening. I walked down there and asked an employee when they'd have them. He told me to wait 10 minutes and they'd be putting them on display. A line started to form by the display and people lined up at the registers to purchase one. The lines were 25-30 people long.

This thing is going to sell like nothing we've ever seen before.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-09, 11:35

Picked a black 4gb one up at the Streets of Southpoint about an hour ago. I was there getting my replacement ABS and decided I'd buy one. I haven't opened it yet because I'm not sure I'm going to keep it....

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-09, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
This thing is going to sell like nothing we've ever seen before.
Yep. That's what I said on Wednesday: this will sell more than the full-size and shuffle iPods in short order, AND it'll make everyone forget the iPod mini ever existed.

This is going to be HUGE. And going into the holidays...

I smell "constrained supply issues"...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-09, 13:30

In the 15 minutes I was at the front of the Southpoint store (in Durham NC), I saw no less than 10 walk out of the store. And at the time the hadn't even put them on display yet. Supply issues indeed...

SKMDC

2005-09-09, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yep. That's what I said on Wednesday: this will sell more than the full-size and shuffle iPods in short order, AND it'll make everyone forget the iPod mini ever existed.

This is going to be HUGE. And going into the holidays...

I smell "constrained supply issues"...

they've had to learn their lesson by now....you'd think.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-09, 14:03

Quote:
they've had to learn their lesson by now....you'd think.
I'd like to think so, but even recent Apple behavior leads me to believe otherwise. Can anyone say, "7 day wait for shipping on the Mighty Mouse?" They had to know that thing was going to be huge and their production was woefully inadequate.

Remember when you had to wait a month for your iPod mini to even ship? I really hope Apple learned their lesson on this one and produced more than they thought they should.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-09, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I'd like to think so, but even recent Apple behavior leads me to believe otherwise. Can anyone say, "7 day wait for shipping on the Mighty Mouse?" They had to know that thing was going to be huge and their production was woefully inadequate.

Remember when you had to wait a month for your iPod mini to even ship? I really hope Apple learned their lesson on this one and produced more than they thought they should.
The supply/demand issue is a fine line to walk. If they have a glut of inventory, it reduces the cachet of the item. I'd actually like for the iPod to be in somewhat short supply during the holiday season. It creates an undeniable buzz. And there's nothing even close to the nano in a number of respects, it won't hurt it much, if at all.

SKMDC

2005-09-09, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
The supply/demand issue is a fine line to walk. If they have a glut of inventory, it reduces the cachet of the item. I'd actually like for the iPod to be in somewhat short supply during the holiday season. It creates an undeniable buzz. And there's nothing even close to the nano in a number of respects, it won't hurt it much, if at all.
Jeez that's no way for a stockholder to talk, I can see a short supply now, but at xmas they better have one for everyone that wants one.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-09, 15:40

Quote:
Jeez that's no way for a stockholder to talk, I can see a short supply now, but at xmas they better have one for everyone that wants one.
Yeah, but I'd prefer a couple of places to be out of stock, too.

I may sell my nano on ebay actually. Some are going for $50-100 over sticker!

Track_40

2005-09-09, 16:56

Damn... Apple Store: Northbrook Court, IL -- has 2GB B/W, but only 4GB W.
iThink therefore iMac

2005-09-09, 18:45

The Pentagon City store just got a few more in...black 2G and white 4G..looks like i'll have to stop by tomorrow!
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-09-09, 19:38

Just got my nano. (pics in a few minutes!)

In Los Angeles, the Century City Apple Store sold out of black 4 gigs, but have a few white 2 gigs and lots of white 4 gigs.

Off to open my new toy!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-09, 20:26

I'm interested in which color will be more popular, black seems to be "winning" for now.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-09, 20:41

Black is definitely winning. Look at the poll around here somewhere.

Also, stopped by the Apple Store in Boca. They're already sold out of black Nanos, though I saw a handful of the white Nano boxes behind the register.
hungsnguyen

2005-09-09, 22:41

I found the white iPod nano at the Shops at Willow Bend in Dallas. They had in stock the 2 and 4 gig white, and the 2 gig black. No black 4, I was dissapointed.
åsen

2005-09-10, 06:29

I just got back from the Apple Store, Regent Street, London.

There was a 70 yard queue outside when it opened a little over 2 hours ago, at 10 am. Many people when straight to the checkout where they had loads of nanos waiting. However, they didn't have a single 4GB black nano. I heard several people ask for one, and some didn't want to buy any other kind. The staff started to call out to the waiting queue that they had none.

I bought a white nano. Very nice too.
BadAndy

2005-09-10, 13:13

In case anyone is wondering how fast online orders are being filled... I ordered a white 4GB personalized Nano on Thursday (one day after launch) and it was shipped out Friday... will be delivered on Monday. Much faster than I thought. Free overnite shipping from Shenzhen, China.

Last edited by BadAndy : 2005-09-10 at 13:14.
LAmezq3984

2005-09-10, 22:27

here at the SF store on Thursday, where I bought mine, they had about 80 of each kind. There was a line all day to buy nanos, and everyone that walked out of there had a black nano bag in their hand. It was crazy. There was no shortage of supply there. I got the black 4gig nano in case anyone cares. I think I was the first warranty case for the nano too!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-10, 22:45

The Mall of America Apple Store had all but the Black 4 GB model as of Saturday evening.

Apparently, Apple didn't send Black 4 GB to some stores at all. Maybe they figured that the White models would be more popular.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-10, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
The Mall of America Apple Store had all but the Black 4 GB model as of Saturday evening.

Apparently, Apple didn't send Black 4 GB to some stores at all. Maybe they figured that the White models would be more popular.
I hope they didn't make that mistake. Seems like people are favoring the black version almost in a 2:1 ratio.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-09-10, 23:49

Apple Store in Yorkdale (Toronto) only had a few black nano's left as of 11 am Saturday. If you want one in the Big Smoke you'll have to settle for a white one for now.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-11, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
I hope they didn't make that mistake. Seems like people are favoring the black version almost in a 2:1 ratio.
No kidding.

I would have gone with the black version if I had known it would be really exclusive and hard to find within the first few months.

Hell, maybe that was Apple's intentions? Maybe they wanted to make black a "rarer" color to add to the iPod nano's mystique?

Last edited by Robo : 2005-09-11 at 00:01. Reason: Mistique, mystique, whatever. It's just a spelling mystaque. :)
kuliand2

2005-09-11, 14:04

has anyone baught a ipod nano from the apple store in the bullring centre birmingham?