Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Which Apple TV to get?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Which Apple TV to get?
Graphguy
can't type

2012-12-17, 03:14

Hey everybody! I'm considering getting an Apple TV. For about the same price I can either get a lightly used first or second generation or a new third generation.

However, I'm not sure which to get, mainly because:

A: The third generation has more RAM and faster CPU. Is the difference noticeable? I know it can play 1080p content, but honestly I have no problem with just sticking with 720p...

B: The third generation can't be jailbroken right now, and its entirely possible that it will never be jailbroken. I'm just not sure whether its a big deal or not. Is the functionality THAT much better? One thing I can imagine a jailbroken Apple TV might be useful for is getting sports content on to it. (Specifically European soccer. I don't really care much for the NHL and NBA content that's available on an un jailbroken ATV)

C: A feature I'm really excited about is AirPlay Mirroring. Playing games on an HDTV for example. Is that available on the first generation ATV?
The ones I've seen available is the 160gb model. How useful do you find the built in HD?

Thanks!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2012-12-17, 06:37

You would need a second or third generation Apple TV for AirPlay mirroring.

AirPlay mirroring is one of the main reasons I bought an Apple TV (I have the third generation). You'd need to make sure that your Mac is new enough to be able to support it, or have an iOS device with at least an A5 chip. I have a 2011 Mac Mini - it copes with SD content but stutters with HD. That might be my network, but I doubt it.

One of my main uses of it is to stream from the BBC iPlayer app on iPad to the Apple TV. It really is fantastic - but opening up the Apple TV to development by third parties would be better. A native BBC iPlayer app on the Apple TV would be great. I keep reading rumours that Apple plan to open up the Apple TV to developers but no such luck yet.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-12-17, 12:31

Buy the latest Apple TV. For $99 it is a no-brainer. Not worth saving $10-20 to buy the 2nd generation and the first generation is not worth buying at all... as it is a dead end model.

The latest Apple TV is slightly more future proof than the 2nd generation. Who cares if it can't be jailbroken? AirPlay now has empowered the Apple TV to do pretty much everything I want. It's excellent.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2012-12-17, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Buy the latest Apple TV. For $99 it is a no-brainer. Not worth saving $10-20 to buy the 2nd generation and the first generation is not worth buying at all... as it is a dead end model.
The second generation is anywhere up to double the original price on the second-hand market here. A new 3rd generation is much cheaper. People must really value its jail breaking ability.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-12-17, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
The second generation is anywhere up to double the original price on the second-hand market here. A new 3rd generation is much cheaper. People must really value its jail breaking ability.
Really?!

I'm sorry, I thought Apple still sold it for $79. Didn't they do that? Maybe they stopped or maybe I'm just completely off this morning.
Graphguy
can't type

2012-12-17, 23:59

Thanks for all the help!

And nope, Apple only sells the third gen. 99$ version.

In Europe where I am, I can get a used unmodified second gen. Apple TV for around 80$ or get a jail broken second generation for 150$.

(Personally I find the ads for jail broken models annoying as heck. Jailbreaking an ATV and throwing some software on it, and then demanding twice the usual price and 50$ more than a brand new third gen. ATV is just ripping people off...)

I don't care THAT much about jailbreaking an ATV, beyond the fact that I live in Europe, so we don't always get all of Apples content features, which makes jailbreaking particularly interesting.
(No season pass or NBA for example...)

And thanks for the info about AirPlay Mirroring! I knew the first gen. Is capable of AirPlay but wasn't sure if it does Airplay mirroring. Apples website isn't exactly clear on that point, so thanks!

Does anybody know a website that makes watching sports available online?