User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple to rate your Karaoke singing on your iPod?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple to rate your Karaoke singing on your iPod?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-07-02, 12:01

...well, according to MacRumors.

Okay, I'll admit right off the bat...I'm posting this story mainly as an excuse to show the awesome patent illustrations.

Behold the exquisite figure drawing (is that a blow-up sex doll? Just going by the mouth, I have to ask), and the visual aid on the off-chance you're singing "Jingle Bells" (and actually require the lyrics).

Click on the story above, and you get access to an even bigger version of the illustration to enjoy/study.

Personally, I think it's awesome that Apple provides internships to third-graders in their R&D facilities!

Quote:
Apple has published a very interesting patent application in which they explore how to provide a Karaoke experience on the iPhone. Not only would users be able to sing along with their favorite songs, but Apple wants to give real-time feedback to singers letting them know how they are doing.

The systems and methods for providing users with real-time feedback while they are singing on key/pitch and providing real-time feedback to the user while the karaoke song is being sung. The feedback will be positive feedback if user is on key/pitch and it will be negative feedback if user is off key/pitch.

The patent application addresses "one of the biggest obstacles faced by amateur singers: singing on key/pitch".
Well that, and perhaps song selection? And overall hootchiness (or lack thereof, depending on where you come down on it all)?

popantique

2009-07-03, 22:23

This is hilarious. But I have to admit I'd probably play with it. And the illustration is amazing.

Perhaps by improving their pitch, singers would be better able to understand which kinds of songs suit their natural range...?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-07-03, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by popantique View Post
This is hilarious. But I have to admit I'd probably play with it. And the illustration is amazing.

Perhaps by improving their pitch, singers would be better able to understand which kinds of songs suit their natural range...?
Funny, I've been singing along with my guitar playing a lot more in the past year, and I found out that my voice loves G major. Fortunately, that also seems to be the case for one of my favorite musicians - David Gilmour - so singing along with him is natural for me

I'm one of those weirdos who sings while they walk along, although in the past few years I've become a bit more self conscious and only do it when no one's around. I've actually learned to sing in key when I can't hear my self pretty well by feeling the pitch in my throat and comparing it to what I hear. I hit notes more dead on when I can hear myself, but I can get to the note pretty quickly now without it.

So what I'm really saying is, I don't need no stinking pitch analyzer to tell me I'm singing in key, I'm sure I already am

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2009-07-04, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
So what I'm really saying is, I don't need no stinking pitch analyzer to tell me I'm singing in key, I'm sure I already am
That's a pretty bold statement. Usually musicians can sing a song and stay in the key in which they begin, but to have the key on call is an impressive feat.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-07-04, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876 View Post
That's a pretty bold statement. Usually musicians can sing a song and stay in the key in which they begin, but to have the key on call is an impressive feat.
I never put in enough smilies

I can't hear whether or not I'm singing the right notes, but I'm pretty sure I am

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-07-04, 15:35

I can usually tell if I'm singing a song that's in the same key as the record. Or if I hear someone singing something, it'll strike me as "too low" or "too high", key-wise (in comparison to the recorded, famous version).

Not saying I have "perfect pitch" (because I'm sure I don't), but I can often "tell a key" (always within a half-step, it seems) someone is in.

My own singing, ironically, is a complete loss (and I wouldn't wish it on anyone). But I'm awesome at critiquing that of others!

"It's a bit pitchy, dawg...".

Why do I even know that phrase?!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-07-10, 12:33

I haven't followed iTunes developments, but Karaoke would be a great feature, especially some sort fo a buy the song and get a Karaoke version for an extra 50cents or something.

Imagine synching this with iChat for multi-user global Karaoke sessions...