User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Wednesday Announcement: Final Predictions Poll!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Make your final predictions!
Tablet Priced Around $1000: The standard configuration for the Tablet is between $800 and $1200. 26 34.21%
Tablet Size Between 10 and 11 Inches: The diagonal measurement of the touch screen on the Tablet is between 10 and 11 inches. 62 81.58%
Tablet Has Cell Phone Internet Capability: In addition to WiFi network capability the Apple Tablet will be able to use EDGE or 3G networks. 52 68.42%
Apple Tablet SDK Announced: When announced a "native" SDK for developing Tablet apps is also announced. 54 71.05%
Tablet Apps Only from the App Store: Except for building Tablet optimized web apps, the only way for 3rd party apps to get on the Tablet is through the App Store. 57 75.00%
Tablet Runs Existing iPhone Apps: All the apps currently available on the App Store will work on the new Apple Tablet. 46 60.53%
Tablet Dev API Based on Cocoa Touch: The development API will be based on Cocoa Touch, but with a modified UI to support the new device format. 51 67.11%
Tablet OS Is a New OS: The Tablet OS will not be the iPhone OS or the Mac OS, but a new third variant based off the OS X core. 43 56.58%
Tablet Book, Newspaper and Magazine Content: The tablet will include the ability to subscribe to newspapers and magazines and buy electronic books through iTunes. 68 89.47%
Tablet Plays Video Content: All iTunes compatible video content can be purchased and viewed on the tablet. 73 96.05%
Tablet Plays Music Content: All iTunes compatible audio and music content can be purchased and listened to on the tablet. 74 97.37%
Tablet Has TV Content: TV and cable content can be purchased either streamed to the tablet device in real-­‐time or via some subscription service where users pay a monthly fee for on-­‐demand access. 46 60.53%
Tablet Has Built-­In Camera: The video camera included in the tablet allows taking pictures, video and video chats. 51 67.11%
Tablet Has Docking Mechanism: The Tablet comes with an option to connect with another Mac via some kind of docking mechanism. 46 60.53%
Tablet Has a Tactile Keyboard: The tablet emits some kind of physical response when pressing keys on the touch screen keyboard. 13 17.11%
Apple Tablet Has Hardware Keyboard Option: Support for an external hardware keyboard is included with both wired (USB) and wireless (Bluetooth) options. 18 23.68%
Indie Content for Tablet: Any one can publish newspapers, books and magazines for the Tablet, rather than major corporate media companies only. 42 55.26%
Apple Tablet Supports Flash: The tablet includes a Flash capable web browser. 13 17.11%
Tablet Has Textbook Content: The Tablet includes ability to purchase and view student textbooks. 54 71.05%
Tablet Ships in March 2010: The new Apple Tablet will be available for pre-­‐order, but the product will not ship until March 2010. 36 47.37%
Tablet named Apple tablet: Apple's rumored tablet computer is named Apple tablet. 3 3.95%
Tablet named Apple iTablet: Apple's rumored tablet computer is named iTablet. 0 0%
Tablet named iSlate: Apple's rumored tablet computer is named iSlate. 10 13.16%
Tablet named iGuide: Apple's rumored tablet computer is named iGuide. 0 0%
Tablet named iBook: Apple's rumored tablet computer is named iBook. 4 5.26%
Tablet named iPad: Apple's rumored tablet computer is named iPad. 14 18.42%
Tablet named Canvas: Apple's rumored tablet computer is named Canvas. 31 40.79%
AT&T Exclusive Contract for iPhone Ends: AT&T is no longer the exclusive carrier for iPhone in the US. 36 47.37%
Paint App on Tablet: Apple's tablet will include a painting app, like venerable MacPaint. 40 52.63%
Bing on the iPhone: Apple makes Microsoft Bing a search provider on the iPhone's mobile Safari browser. 17 22.37%
Verizon Support for iPhone or Tablet: Apple contracts with Verizon as a wireless carrier for a new iPhone or the new Tablet or both. 33 43.42%
T-­Mobile Support for iPhone or Tablet: Apple contracts with T-­‐Mobile as a wireless carrier for a new iPhone or the new Tablet or both. 12 15.79%
Apple Announces an iTunes Web App: Apple Announces a service that would allow customers to buy music without going through the specialized iTunes program. 26 34.21%
Touch Screen Macs: An iMac or MacBook with a touch sensitive display is announced. 4 5.26%
New iLife and iWork Suites Released: Apple announces and releases new versions of iLife and iWork. 40 52.63%
iPhone OS 4.0 Announced: The next version of the iPhone OS is announced. 54 71.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Wednesday Announcement: Final Predictions Poll!
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-25, 23:24

By request, and the title says it all.

Check the option if you think it'll happen; leave it unchecked if you think it won't happen.

Original options borrowed from: http://unweary.com/Prediction%20Score%20Card.pdf

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-01-25, 23:32

Hokay, no polls in iPhone version of AN... how do you expect us to lust after this gizmo if it doesn't give us the full Nova experience??!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-25, 23:34

Brad, you is the man!

I shall click away. It's not like I've gotta watch Conan or anything tonight...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-01-25, 23:36

All done.. I hope I look good in a Donkey Hat!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-25, 23:36

Whoops.

I forgot the first option:
Quote:
Apple Tablet Announced: Apple announces they are building and will release a new touch-screen Tablet computing device.
Let's just assume that if you vote for any of the tablet related options that you selected this one too.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-01-25, 23:39

Hmm, at the end then someone will need to figure out which ones happened, and which didn't, then see who got the most points and was the overall winner.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-25, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Hmm, at the end then someone will need to figure out which ones happened, and which didn't, then see who got the most points and was the overall winner.
It sounds like we have a volunteer!

Also, I've adjusted the poll's timing to end at 1 PM Eastern/10 AM Pacific so you can vote right up until the last possible minute.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-01-25, 23:54

Then I get to pick the prize. I think I still have that Aldo Nova vinyl album that Jack and I were going to give away for a prize to something back in the day.

Nice nostalgia prize if people are interested.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-01-26, 00:11

I just assumed the prize was the Tablet itself.

That was quite the poll!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-26, 00:32

It's interesting to see who voted for what. Sometimes little clusters of folks are aligned and in agreement, but then, a few questions down, someone (or several someones) will break away and disagree. Good stuff.

It's going to be really cool to look at in another 24 hours or so, as more people enter their votes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-01-26, 00:34

I have to admit that I voted even though I've not been following the rumors at all. I'm going off of intuition. I'll be interesting to see how they pan out. Does that mean I'll get an extra prize if I'm right?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-26, 00:38

Yes. Two badminton sets. And a Duncan yo-yo (in the color of your choice).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-01-26, 00:43

Yeah!!!!
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-01-26, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Let's just assume that if you vote for any of the tablet related options that you selected this one too.
That's an interesting one... You see I am still 50/50 on that.

It seems that it will be announced, and I am sure it exists, but I was reading stuff yesterday and so many places have it down as a done deal.. and I thought it would be really hilarious / embarrassing / freaky if this isn't the thing Steve is so excited about...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-26, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I have to admit that I voted even though I've not been following the rumors at all. I'm going off of intuition.
Same here. I honestly haven't been paying any attention to the rumors, mostly because it all seems to be fantasy-driven speculation instead of anything based on actual leaks.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-26, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
That's an interesting one... You see I am still 50/50 on that.

It seems that it will be announced, and I am sure it exists, but I was reading stuff yesterday and so many places have it down as a done deal.. and I thought it would be really hilarious / embarrassing / freaky if this isn't the thing Steve is so excited about...
I not-so-secretly hope that it isn't a tablet, just as a smack in the face to the resounding echo chamber that has been the tech media circus of late.

scratt
Veteran Member

2010-01-26, 00:51

http://www.pidjin.net/2010/01/25/iwish/
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-26, 00:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post

But seriously. How AWESOME would that be?!?
CitizenTony

2010-01-26, 01:03

I admit that I hope it's not real. The explosion post event would be massive. Just imagine the whole keynote with no mention of it, the melting point being right towards the end when everyone would be waiting for that "one more thing", and Steve Jobs just silently walks off stage.

But I think it's real.

How do you avoid the rumors? They've been rampant this past week or so. All full of it too. The best thing about all of this is that I've been able to really clean up my RSS feed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-26, 01:05

Dumb question, I know...but I assume Steve is going to be doing the honors Wednesday? He's feeling up and well enough, right? There's no reason to think this is going to be a Schiller & Co. presentation?

Hopefully Steve will have put some meat on his bones and is looking a bit more robust and healthy.

Going to be a fun day. I look forward to seeing how the mainstream, non-tech press covers this. They give Apple a lot more coverage and attention than they used to (CNN and others, both online and TV). It'll be interesting to see if this is one of the top, main stories that day. I'm sure it will be. I know it'll occupy the top, main spot at CNN's site for a few hours.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-01-26, 01:07

Wait. Isn't the event on Wednesday?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-26, 01:46

I think the price is going to be $799, so I didn't check the "$800-1200" option. Pedantic? No way!
zsummers
Avast!

2010-01-26, 01:53

Wow. Thank, admins from the sky. That was fun.

For what it's worth, I see a window-based UI with touch/gesture-based zooming/switching and the ability to operate in a single window environment with expose-type switching. I think it'll work part as a magazine/book/media-consumption-device, part as a social gaming device, and part as a more robust web-browser.

And I think we see 3G right off the bat. 600 with a subscription and 900 without. And I will be annoyed, right from the bat, that I have to pick my poison between a monthly bill and an expensive but cool device. Unjustified annoyance, yes... but annoyed nonetheless.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-26, 07:21

More talked about on Thursday morning: Apple tablet announcement or Obama's State of The Union?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-26, 07:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
More talked about on Thursday morning: Apple tablet announcement or Obama's State of The Union?
The season 4.5 premiere of Psych, obviously.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-01-26, 07:25

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/26/...000-march-1st/

Is this an Oops, Or just somone twittering on?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-01-26, 07:34

For comparison, the Guardian has a similar crowdsourcing poll
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-26, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
For comparison, the Guardian has a similar crowdsourcing poll
iJacksonPollock is one of the choices under name.

Funny that all those names have been discussed here. I imagine we're not the only ones.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-26, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/26/...000-march-1st/

Is this an Oops, Or just somone twittering on?
The Twitter account does not belong to the company in the above article (article was updated to say this).
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-01-26, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I think I still have that Aldo Nova vinyl album that Jack and I were going to give away for a prize to something back in the day.
Whoa! That brings me right back to the high school dance floor slow dancing to Ball and Chain.