User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...
Page 2 of 43 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-24, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Uh, I'm not the n00b you're looking for.
I didn't mean to imply that you were a n00b. I mean no offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
If a tablet comes out that cannot be memory expanded or battery changed (we all know it won't have a user-swappable battery), then yes, the days of welded-shut Macs will have returned in full force.
Ooh, ooh, this is my favorite subject evar! Let's talk branding.

I don't think the days of welded-shut Macs will return in full force, just because I don't think the tablet will be a "Mac." (It will, of course, be welded-shut. ) But what to call it? "iTablet" sounds stupid. "iPad" sounds too much like "iPod." Will they bring back the Newton name? It will probably be about the size of the old Newtons

Maybe they'll take a page from Nintendo's book (for once) and call it "iPod XL." Or they'll call it something totally new, like "Fuji." I really have no idea what they will call it. It's not like the iPhone, where there was an obvious (albeit trademarked) name.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-12-24, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but expandability really isn't Apple's…thing.
Jobs's.

The decision not to make the original Mac expandable was his, and not without controversy within the company.

Quote:
Apple makes the Mac Pro as a concession to the needs of their professional users, but other than that they're all consumer, and Apple doesn't think the average consumer wants to open up their computer. And they're right.

Besides, I really can't see Apple expanding their desktop line any further. Not in an increasingly notebook-focused world. Hell, they're probably dying to kill off the Mac mini. (If/when the MacBook hits $799...)
Agreed. Not so sure about the mini, though, at least not in its recent server role.

Quote:
If a tablet comes out that cannot be memory expanded or battery changed (we all know it won't have a user-swappable battery), then yes, the days of welded-shut Macs will have returned in full force.
I don't follow. I fully expect it to have neither a user-swappable battery nor RAM slots. Heck, not even the MacBook Air does. I also, like Roboman, don't expect it to be a Mac.

Jason
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 11:08

Quote:
Unfortunately, I believe if Apple outs a new tablet in January, my hopes for an expandable and affordable Apple Tower will finally go out the window.
I'm buying my first ever Mac Pro next spring. An iPhone on steroids is unlikely to deter me from that.

Jason
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
This is what I hate about all this stuff. Apple has never copped to working on a tablet. Not once. They owe nothing on that front. It's just been rumors, speculation, piecing things together, etc. on the part of everyone except Apple.

So I hate that if they never came out with something that they never said they were working on, their stock - and "reputation" - somehow takes a hit in the eyes of Wall Street, the press, tech pundits, fanboys and users.

Doesn't seem quite fair.

Unlike a few other tech companies *ahem* who crow about "something we're working on" (going so far as to "unveil" it a year or two out) and never actually do anything with it, or bring it to market, Apple is consistently silent and non-commital in their approach. If they don't come out with a tablet (or anything else we'd like them to: netbook, camera, GPS module, new iPod socks, etc.), that's totally their decision. We were never promised anything by them, yet when they "fail to deliver" everyone loses their minds and they take an undeserved hit.

Hell, they might've never planned on making a tablet, but now they kinda have to because they know the grief and hit they'll be in for if they don't.

"Guys, we need to hold off on those towers and new pro notebooks. I know they were slated for early 2010, but people won't STFU about this tablet, so I've got Jonny roughing up some prototypes and we're gonna try to get something out the door by January or February because that's what we're supposed to be working on, according to the entire universe. Assholes."

Scates has nailed this. It seems to me that this whole tablet charade (that has been dragging on for what feels like a lifetime) is something that the media seems to want more than the consumer/general public. I'm still not convinced that people (real people with money to spend rather than tech pundits and journalists) really want this and I believe Apple are doubtful too.

Last edited by Jason : 2009-12-24 at 11:40.

zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 11:36

People do want it. Apple will make it. Tons of people will buy it.

Even most of those on here who think it's a bad idea.

Just like the iPhone!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-24, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

Just like the iPhone!
I don't know. I don't think the iPhone had quite the same...doubting before release. Smartphones are at least an established market sector. Weird, UMPC/MID/in-between net-pad thingies...not so much. At least not a successful market sector.

But we'll see. Jobs has tried to tell consumers what to want before, and failed (Power Mac G4 Cube anyone?).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-12-24, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

People here (including me) think that what's been rumored is a bad idea. Whether what (if anything) Apple will actually present and introduce is a bad idea is a wholly different question. A clickwheel iPod with phone components was rumored; the iPhone is an entirely different device. (About the only things that make it iPod-like at all are: it syncs through iTunes, it has an "iPod" app on it, and it comes with a Dock connector.) I don't expect an "iPhone tablet" any more than one should have expected an "iPod phone".

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-24, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I don't expect an "iPhone tablet" any more than one should have expected an "iPod phone".
Yup. I remember thinking that we'd see an "iPod phone." I thought it would look a lot like the 2G iPod nano, only with a taller, more phone-like screen and a sliding keypad (so, basically an LG Chocolate). I also remember floating an idea with a candybar, again basically the exact form factor of the 2G iPod nano, only this time the clickwheel would be overlaid across a clicky keypad (so the four clickwheel directions would be at 2, 4, 6, and 8). It behaved similarly to the then-still-amazing clickwheel - scroll across the wheel to scroll, press down for any buttons or phone keys. Not very Apple at all, but that was actually among the least fanciful of all the ideas proposed -- people thought there'd be buttons on the back and a big screen on the front, &c. It was wild.

Of course, the iPhone we did end up seeing was...quite different. I think a lot of people were thinking from the standpoint of "an iPod that can make calls" rather than "a groundbreaking smartphone that happens to have an iPod app." It blew people away.

I'm not sure the tablet is going to do the same thing, but hey, we'll see. As rumored, I think the idea blows.

zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 12:07

Quote:
I don't know. I don't think the iPhone had quite the same...doubting before release. Smartphones are at least an established market sector. Weird, UMPC/MID/in-between net-pad thingies...not so much. At least not a successful market sector.

But we'll see. Jobs has tried to tell consumers what to want before, and failed (Power Mac G4 Cube anyone?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
People here (including me) think that what's been rumored is a bad idea. Whether what (if anything) Apple will actually present and introduce is a bad idea is a wholly different question. A clickwheel iPod with phone components was rumored; the iPhone is an entirely different device. (About the only things that make it iPod-like at all are: it syncs through iTunes, it has an "iPod" app on it, and it comes with a Dock connector.) I don't expect an "iPhone tablet" any more than one should have expected an "iPod phone".
I don't want to dig up old stuff, but I recall that there was a sizable population on this site that felt Apple had no business getting into the phone market at all. No matter what the design was. Statements like, "Apple is a computer company, not a phone manufacturer" and "The phone market is already too saturated, they'll never compete"....

I'm not saying that was either of you, because I honestly don't remember. I just recall the same kind of debate back in the pre iPhone days.

And now, not one person on here thinks the iPhone was a bad idea.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-24, 12:11

Quote:
Ooh, ooh, this is my favorite subject evar! Let's talk branding.

I don't think the days of welded-shut Macs will return in full force, just because I don't think the tablet will be a "Mac." (It will, of course, be welded-shut. ) But what to call it? "iTablet" sounds stupid. "iPad" sounds too much like "iPod." Will they bring back the Newton name? It will probably be about the size of the old Newtons

Maybe they'll take a page from Nintendo's book (for once) and call it "iPod XL." Or they'll call it something totally new, like "Fuji." I really have no idea what they will call it. It's not like the iPhone, where there was an obvious (albeit trademarked) name.
iContact. I mocked it up centuries ago (it seems). I've loved the name ever since.

zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 12:13

How about they use the pseudo moniker for the iPod Touch - "iTouch", and tie it into Mobile Me somehow so that we can have the "iTouch Me".

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-24, 12:18

I've got a real cool idea for a logo/icon for that...but it might get me arrested in 23 states.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-24, 12:25

Quote:
iContact. I mocked it up centuries ago (it seems). I've loved the name ever since.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
There's actually an email marketing company nearby in NC (I know a few of its employees) under the name iContact. I'm sure they'd be rightfully upset if Apple used their name, not that I see that happening any time soon.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-24, 12:28

BGR has reported that there will be at least a 7-inch tablet announced, possibly in addition to a 10-inch tablet.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-24, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Off-topic (click to toggle):
There's actually an email marketing company nearby in NC (I know a few of its employees) under the name iContact. I'm sure they'd be rightfully upset if Apple used their name, not that I see that happening any time soon.
Yeah, I'm sure quite a few outfits are using that in various ways. But back when I did that mockup, the iMac was the only thing out using that. At least that I knew of (this was pre iPod, iLife, etc. and the lowercase "i" wasn't all over the place, by Apple and others).

They should've struck while they had a chance!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-24, 12:41

Dang, this stuff is rolling out like crazy now! Two more new entries at AppleInsider, both tablet-related:

Possible tablet Multi-touch tactile keyboard detailed.

Should be of great interest to everyone who gripes and whines about screen-only/virtual keyboards. Seems Apple might've solved the issue in a very snazzy, typically Apple way...elegant, subtle, and only there when you need it. Give the above a read.

and

Apple's tablet interface said to be a "surprise"; Jobs pleased.

Quote:
As a rumored Jan. 26 media event approaches, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs is said to be "extremely happy" with the company's unannounced tablet device, which is hinted to be more than just a large iPod touch.

Calling 2010 "The Year of the Tablet," Nick Bilton of The New York Times offers some alleged inside information on the device many expect will be announced in just over one month. He and a colleague spoke with a handful of current and former Apple employees, who gave cryptic responses about the rumored device.

One current senior employee at Apple would only say that Jobs is "extremely happy with the new tablet." Someone else who recently left Apple reportedly said that users will be "surprised how you interact with the new tablet."
A surprise? Mind/thought control?

And Jobs pleased? I never thought that happened. If he's cool with it, a month out from unveiling, then it must be good. He won't have to spend the next 30 days cracking his whip and cussing at employees.

The best Christmas present ever for those poor souls at Apple.

chucker

2009-12-24, 12:48

Quote:
As rumored, I think the idea blows.
"As rumored, our ideas blow. As released, they blow you away."

¡Damned!

2009-12-24, 12:48

I was digging through some old hard drive backups looking for god-knows-what, and I came across a folder filled with old Apple commercials, Macworld stuff and whatnot. In the "whatnot" category was a video for a tablet concept created circa 2000 called....iNexus.

Amazingly, I found it still up in the bowels of the interwebs: Enjoy.

I'm sure the upcoming tablet will be slightly sleeker.

So it goes.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-24, 12:53

Lose the pen, about 1.25" thickness, an inch of bezel and the coloring, and...

The little copyright blurb at the end says 2003, so that was just about six years ago.

If just this much info has come out in two days (at least 4-5 separate, somewhat believable items), imagine what we could be hearing in the next week or two, as the 26th nears?

I, for one, am waiting on the blurry leaked "elevator shot".

¡Damned!

2009-12-24, 12:57

Quote:
The little copyright blurb at the end says 2003, so that was just about six years ago.
Huh, I didn't notice that. I would've bet a nut that it was created around the time of the toilet-seat iBooks.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-24, 13:05

Yeah, it certainly has that look...the "ice white with rounded edges and translucent color accents" look of 1999-2001. 2003 was a good year or two past that design phase.

By January 2002 (with the iMac G4 intro), both the iMac and iBook had moved away from their respective jellybean and toilet seat designs, and settled on the white look. (and the aluminum stuff didn't start appearing until 2003, with the 12" and 17" PowerBook G4s at Macworld, and the G5 towers that summer at WWDC).

It's sad that I even have all this useless shit on tap...

I can't remember my best friend's birthday, but I could tell you what Apple's iMac lineup consisted of in April 2001, or any other time period, as if it truly meant something in the real world.

I am so lame...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-24, 13:32

2001? That was the year of Blue Dalmation and Flower Power, wasn't it?

You're in good company pscates. And we wouldn't have it any other way

Jason
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 13:49

Quote:

I can't remember my best friend's birthday, but I could tell you what Apple's iMac lineup consisted of in April 2001, or any other time period, as if it truly meant something in the real world.

I am so lame...

Admitting is the first step to recovery.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-24, 13:56

Well, *my* best friend's birthday is January 30. So I hope whatever is announced is available immediately

Maybe it's not a tablet, and instead the also-rumored AppleTV subscription launch?

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2009-12-24, 18:49

Quote:
Well, *my* best friend's birthday is January 30. So I hope whatever is announced is available immediately

Maybe it's not a tablet, and instead the also-rumored AppleTV subscription launch?
Well, the two could be announced together if the tablet is video/magazine centric. If there's a 7" version of the tablet as BGR suggests, it could replace those portable DVD player things I see families bringing around.

Clearly Apple wanted to announce it on Pscates and my birthday.

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-12-25, 08:58

Well it looks like Apple is buying domain names too iSlate.com

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/24/...called-islate/

Merry Christmas (god why i am still interested in Apple stuff on Christmas Day??!! LOL)

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-12-25, 09:02

iSlate just does not sound like a name Apple would use, to me anyway.

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-12-25, 09:09

I must admit it sounds a tad tacky... but it is odd that they bought the domain name... But then again i am sure they have bought domain names that are similar but not the actual name of a product??? (although i cannot reference one right now).

jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-12-25, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
iSlate just does not sound like a name Apple would use, to me anyway.
As to iBrick?

Sounds like more evidence of a Tablet.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-25, 09:43

Wow, every day is more stuff to learn. In 2-3 days, the gates have opened...seems like something is gonna happen.

iSlate? I'm okay with it. Isn't too clever or funky, but I imagine, after about a month or two, it will seem familiar and like it's always been there...much like "iPod". When that name was first unveiled, I thought "ugh...really?"

Now it's part of the language.

iSlate. iSlate.

But it can sound like "isolate" when you say it out loud, as I just discovered. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

But I do like it better than any name using the "t" word (iTab, iTablet, etc.).