User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Robotics
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-29, 16:43

Thought I would start a new thread celebrating robotics. Anything and everything robotic.

I saw this today and it brought a smile to my face.

I have been watching the progress of Boston Dynamics for several years, and they are humming along with some very cool stuff. These characters used to be tethered to power sources, but now they are "on their own" and I love it!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-29, 16:54

At first I thought the song was added after-the-fact. But when they went to the mashed potato/twist part, they were doing it. Yeah, that's pretty awesome. The movements were pretty smooth and lifelike, more than I was aware things had gotten to. That was a bit of an eye-opener for me. Imagine just 10 short years from now. 20?

That is both cool and a bit terrifying, frankly...

These things are going to kill the shit out of us at some point, guaranteed.

I just hope they have the good manners - and sense of humor - to go after James Cameron first.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-29, 17:01

Oh, no. That guy is probably pulling the strings. He's gonna have the last laugh!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-29, 17:08

Honest question: has Boston Dynamics done anything with their robots yet besides release videos?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-29, 17:30

I don't think so.

But proofs of concept take a minute or two to work out, no?
Anonymous Coward

2020-12-30, 05:08

This is not exactly robotics. Sometimes it is applicable and sometimes not, but does anyone else have an Adabox subscription? Electronics kits, usually once every three months. Not as involved as the average Heathkit, but more on theory and learning rather than paint-by-numbers assembly.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-30, 06:08

I would have enjoyed something like that when I was younger. It's hard now to make brain work!

By the way, earlier this month Hyundai bought controlling interest in Boston Dynamics, leading their products all that much closer to real world applications.

Like robot dogs with arms for heads that will come and get you!!!

Dr. Bobsky

2020-12-30, 10:28

The song was clearly added in post, it's relatively simple to program the robots to hit certain cues on a time line in time with the music...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-30, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
The song was clearly added in post, it's relatively simple to program the robots to hit certain cues on a time line in time with the music...
I'm quite sure you are correct. But it is still cool as hell!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-30, 13:21

Quote:
Well, not knowing anything about such things, interesting. To be clear, I didn't think they, intelligently and on their own, knew when to do the Mashed Potato and Twist. I'm not that clueless. But they definitely did a recognizable version of those moves, in a way more convincing/fluid than I ever could.

I thought the music might've been added after the fact, only because it was so clear/balanced and didn't fluctuate or "tunnel" with the camera movement, as it would've had it been playing on a speaker there in the room somewhere.

Still, the timing was nice.

There's still gonna kill us all, so, big picture, I really don't give a shit how well they dance.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-30, 13:31

I can just imagine how much money they wasted programing the dance moves into the robot. If I was an investor, I'd be pissed.

Now when can I get my robo puppy to bring me a taco?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-30, 17:37

Soon, my friend, soon!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 16:44

These things are getting pretty mobile. Yes, I know it's all choreographed and all, but dang, that's next-level stuff.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-08-19, 16:53

These aren't likely the robots you're looking for. Bipedal frameworks are being developed to improve *other* sorts of robotics automation, but they are intrinsically a poorer starting point. Our bipedal-ness comes from advantages associated with reducing overheating (it was the first stage in our becoming naked/depending upon sweating for cooling), but it comes with costs: lack of stability, slower average pace in short stretches. Since I cannot imagine robots depending upon sweating for cooling anytime soon when heat pipes and optimised fan placement eliminates the need, stationary, quadrupedal or tracked robots are far more likely in our immediate futures...

Frankly, the quadrupedal ones are more terrifying anyway.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 17:07

Oh, I get it. The technology required to make that stuff leads to all sorts of neat things.

Some cool, some scary.

I can tell you that I don't want two-legged robots chasing me around any more than I want four-legged robots chasing me around.

Or, worse yet, flying robots … with lasers.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-19, 17:15

Balls. Robotic death balls. Terrifying.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 17:18

Well, now, wait a minute. I'm not sure I would mind having a pair of robotic death balls.

My superhero name could be Ball Boy.

Dr. Bobsky

2021-08-19, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Oh, I get it. The technology required to make that stuff leads to all sorts of neat things.

Some cool, some scary.

I can tell you that I don't want two-legged robots chasing me around any more than I want four-legged robots chasing me around.

Or, worse yet, flying robots … with lasers.
Those bipedal robots would be easy to push down a flight of stairs or you could just tie their shoelaces together...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 18:46

Quote:
Those bipedal robots would be easy to push down a flight of stairs or you could just tie their shoelaces together...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-19, 18:55

If they're anything like those goofy battle droids(?) from The Phantom Menace (all of the prequels, I guess), we're okay. They'll accidentally kill each other before they get to us.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-19, 20:12

Considering that some armies around the world are already using AI controlled drones to attack targets, this robot is the least of your worries.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-19, 20:12

I made fun of Daleks until they showed them with rockets
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-18, 11:46

A helicopter with legs!

This thing is just crazy!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 11:54

We are so screwed.

It'll be worse than any of those Terminator movies made it look, once these things get their act together and start to figure shit out (because you know that's coming too).

15 years from now:

"Hey, I didn't sign up for any of this...".

"You did when you made us, now STFU and assume the position...".

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-10-18, 13:14

Why is it wearing high heels?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 13:15

It wants to be fashionable. Nice to see them put thought into looking while wiping out humanity.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Why is it wearing high heels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It wants to be fashionable. Nice to see them put thought into looking while wiping out humanity.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-10-18, 17:24

Stupid sexy killer robot drone.