User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Airport with cable and PC ?!?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport with cable and PC ?!?
flail

2005-01-27, 03:07

Hey you guys, just had a question on networking with a (deep breath) PC using an Airport with my cable modem.

Here's the deal. I have cable on my PC Desktop, running XP right? So right now the ethernet is going from the modem to the ethernet card on my desktop. I am interested in using routing the cable through the airport so I can use a Powerbook wirelessly. But the modem only has one ethernet hookup

I guess I'm just not sure of the plausability of this at all. I've seen some ethernet switchers or hubs (like $10 or something)... is that what I want? I need to be able to use the cable internet on the desktop and the powerbook at the same time.

I would love to do this without buying anything except an Airport and using the built in Airport card of the Powerbook. Sorry if this a stupid question .. Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 03:18

If you buy an airport extreme base station, (which comes with two ethernet ports) then all you would need to do is run the ethernet cable directly to the base station and then run a cable to your PC from there.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
flail

2005-01-27, 15:39

Sorry, actually I would be using an older airport like a M5757. If it only has one ethernet port then I wouldn't be able to use it, huh.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 16:23

yeah, you are probably SOL with that.
get a cheap 4port switch for like $30 and that will get you covered.
Plug the cable modem into the upstream port, and the airport and pc into ports on the hub.
Instructions are here: http://www.apple.com/support/airport/
You can basically follow the instructions for the express, but ignoring all the features that the graphite base station does not support.

see this as well: (VERY LARGE)
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/air...rks0190271.pdf

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)