Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Page 3 of 16 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-12-11, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
The Child isn't Yoda, just the same species. The nickname of 'Baby Yoda' the internet has bestowed on it is misleading. The show is set after Episode VI.

[edit]: "Favreau has said that The Mandalorian is set five years after the fall of the Empire in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and 25 years before the rise of the First Order, the authoritarian regime that is firmly in control of the galaxy when Episode VII: The Force Awakens begins."
It's called baby yoda because George never allowed the species to be formally named.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-12, 00:27

Yeah, I would buy that. However, George's opinion doesn't matter anymore so it's not gonna cut it with me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-13, 23:50

Okay, real talk time.

Soundtrack.

Something that has bothered me since I first started watching is that something about the main Mandalorian theme keeps making me think of one of the many original themes from the Rocky movie series. Add to that the early regular presence of Carl "Apollo" Weathers and you have my brain routinely getting distracted trying to connect references that probably aren't there.

Has anyone else noticed this yet? I haven't gone through my Rocky soundtracks yet (I might have to this weekend) to figure out exactly which theme keeps getting misfired in my brain whenever The Mandalorian main theme plays out.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2019-12-14, 08:01

Yeah I can definitely hear that now that you mention it, right after the whistling 'Man with No Name' bit.

[edit]:
The Mandalorian Theme
End credits usually start @ 0:46; the part you're talking about starts @1:10.

Rocky Theme
It does sound like the beginning of Rocky. The soundtracks probably have more stuff that play on the iconic first notes.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-12-14 at 08:12.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-14, 12:27

Yep. It's there, right at 1:10.

Definitely some Rocky influence going on in there. When you think about it, how many original pieces can you have before some old inspiration starts to creep in?

It's a cool piece, though. And maybe that's why.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-14, 13:43

CONFIRMED: Stallone to voice Baby Force Frog.

“Yo, this Force stuff is un-be-LIEVABLE!”
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-14, 13:54

Quote:
Yeah I can definitely hear that now that you mention it, right after the whistling 'Man with No Name' bit.

[edit]:
The Mandalorian Theme
End credits usually start @ 0:46; the part you're talking about starts @1:10.
Yes, this is exactly the part. That low brass section, presumably trumpets and maybe a french horn, is the specific part of the melody that has been rattling around in my brain for the last week.

Quote:
Rocky Theme
It does sound like the beginning of Rocky. The soundtracks probably have more stuff that play on the iconic first notes.
There may be some similarities to the main Rocky theme... but it's not quite close enough...

This, on the other hand, I believe is what my brain was connecting: Bill Conti - Going The Distance (Rocky)

A very similar melody and instrumentation start around 0:15 (but listen to it from the start and compare with The Mandalorian Theme starting from ~1:04 though ~1:20). The key signature is higher and the tempo a bit faster in Going the Distance, and yes a few of the notes are different but I think I'm satisfied that this is the connection my poor little brain was trying to make.

I'm lucky that this was only the third track from the first movie's soundtrack. I was prepared to scrub through all four first movies to find this, and I originally thought it felt more like a supporting melody from Rocky 3 or 4. I might still have to scrub through to find if there's an even closer matching version.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-14, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
CONFIRMED: Stallone to voice Baby Force Frog.

“Yo, this Force stuff is un-be-LIEVABLE!”
With as many amazing and hilarious deep fakes and voice synthesis videos making the rounds these days, I wouldn't put it past a crazy fan to try it!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-16, 13:44

Before I exile myself from this thread as well (The Rise of Skywalker has its world premiere in Los Angeles this evening and I'm sure leaks/spoilers will be making their way out into the world starting tonight, so I just want to stay out of any SW-related threads in case someone accidentally blabs or neglects to use spoiler tags).

...it was just brought to my attention (by my sister) that The Last Jedi is currently not available on Disney+. Is this true?

If so, what would be the reason for this? Disney owns all this stuff now, correct? It's not like they're having to negotiate/haggle with Lucasfilm or some other studio for streaming/distribution rights. Can't they show any/all of this stuff, whenever they want now? I thought that was the whole point of this new service, that you'd be getting all the Disney-owned properties (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. from all the decades, live action and animated). The Last Jedi was on Netflix this past summer, and I'm sure it's been on DVD/Blu-ray for a good while, so what's the reason it isn't available on Disney+, of all weeks?

Just arbitrary "because we can" type of reasons? Or are they just going to rotate stuff in and out as well, like Netflix, basically ensuring that whatever you're truly in the mood to watch won't be available when you're craving it most?

The one SW movie, shitty as it is, that folks might be interested in watching this week to review/catch up before TROS opens, isn't there. My sister said that it shows as coming on December 26.

If the reasons aren't legal-related, then what good business/marketing angle is there that makes the previous movie not on their service the weeks/days leading up to its immediate follow-up hitting the theaters? Is that just not a weird approach? It does no good to make it available December 26 when so many people are going to see TROS this coming weekend (and might like to watch 7 and/or 8 for a refresher this week).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-16 at 13:55.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 14:30

Quote:
...it was just brought to my attention (by my sister) that The Last Jedi is currently not available on Disney+. Is this true?
This is true, but neither is Avengers: End Game. I suspect it is because these things are still making money, selling DVD's, etc. No surprise. Studios will [almost] always run their wares until they have bled us dry before they release to streaming services.

On that note, keep in mind that The Last Jedi was "still making money" by streaming through Netflix.

Maybe.

Or maybe I'm full of crap.

I'm going with option 2.

Quote:
The one SW movie, shitty as it is, that folks might be interested in watching this week to review/catch up before TROS opens, isn't there. My sister said that it shows as coming on December 26.
While it is indeed now canon, I suspect close to nothing referenced in Episode XIII will appear in Episode IX. Seriously, that movie was so incredibly bad, so full of PC crap, and so poorly received, that I bet there is little going on nothing other than meaningless Rose that will carry over.

What a gigantic turd!

Besides, what did Episode XIII leave us with that needs to be resolved in Episode IX? The rebellion is down to a group of people that escaped on one tiny ship. Nothing, literally nothing, can resolve that. The rebel force in the Episode IX trailers is serious ex machina BS and nothing more. Disney laid a rotten egg and the only way out is to pretend it didn't happen.

No, Episode IX will chart it's own ROTJ path with absolutely nothing to hang on.

Tonight, I'm going to watch The Mandalorian #6 and be thankful there is someone at Disney who can have fun with SW.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2019-12-16, 14:34

I think is has to do with the contract Disney made with Netflix some time back, and stuff will start trickling back over to Disney through June-ish 2020. A bunch of Marvel stuff (Black Panther, Infinity War, Ant-Man and The Wasp) is at Netflix only, and Solo is only available there too (for now). Pixar's latest couple as well, including Incredibles 2.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 14:56

Quote:
I think is has to do with the contract Disney made with Netflix some time back, and stuff will start trickling back over to Disney through June-ish 2020.
Sounds like the obvious answer.

By the way, just for Paul I'm going to sneak Episode IX spoilers into every thread. It will go something like this:

"Yes, you can fix the clicking problem in the 3.0 butterfly keyboard by blasting a bit of Rey's a Syth lord air under the keys. If that fails to work, then you will need to bring your machine into the Kylo dies forty five minutes in service center for a complete level 3 diagnostic. While you're waiting, please remember to pick up a pair of the all-new Hux is a traitor headphones and perhaps a Rose dies T-shirt."

¡Damned!

2019-12-16, 15:02

I'm still sore about Defenders et al getting unceremoniously iced, so I don't mind if Netflix holds its contractual ground as a Fuck You, Disney+.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 15:11

Quote:
I don't mind if Netflix holds its contractual ground
I can't come up with any reason why they wouldn't. Corporate contracts are with more than their wait in unobtanium if they aren't honored.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-16, 15:18

All very interesting (movie hasn't premiered yet, so I'm still safe here for a bit).

I just assumed the appeal of the Disney+ thing was that everything they own would be on it. I didn't imagine there would be stragglers, still showing at competitor services. Weird. But who knows what kind of behind-the-scenes deal-making goes on with these things. I guess I should be surprised there's as much on Disney+ as there is.

I think these streaming things are eventually just going to aggravate and exhaust most normal people who realize they're not that hard-up for entertainment, 24/7. I know people who pay for Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon, in addition to HBO, Showtime, etc. All they seem to do is bitch and squawk about various aspects of it all...who doesn't have what, the overlap, the complete absence of something they're seeking, etc.

And my "well maybe you shouldn't be watching TV this much" always goes over like a poot in a confession booth...

No matter what, it seems like Disney could've taken steps to ensure that this was available on their just-launched service, weeks/days before the final chapter in the saga is released. I don't care that 8 has no real ties/hooks to 9 (it does, they're just stupid). But it just looks bad/unplanned. They can release it on December 26, but not 7-10 days before? That's a little tough to understand/swallow, frankly. They knew, ages ago, when The Rise of Skywalker would be opening, so they should've done what was necessary to make sure the entire saga was available on their service in the lead-up to 9 (at least a full week). Hell, it would almost be better if it weren't coming for another 1-2 months. But less than a week just comes across as arbitrary asshattery (or a major ball-drop on someone's part..."oops, I thought The Rise of Skywalker opened on December 27? Sorry...".

Come on.

So, then, at some point (by the end of summer 2020), anything you want to watch, Disney-owned, should wind up at Disney+? I know that's why many people signed up, for the Star Wars or Pixel (or Marvel) access. Are they going to always be chasing their tails?

PS - There's no way in hell The Last Jedi is "making money" anywhere. Let's not be ridiculous. That movie has surely made every dime it's going to at this point. The most contrarian people I know, who'd normally say they love it just to monkey with me, don't even like it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-16 at 15:34.
¡Damned!

2019-12-16, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I can't come up with any reason why they wouldn't.
Well, I'm sure Disney offered shipping containers chock-full of Mouse Money, but Netflix, as Paul rightly pointed out, was happy enough to drive business to their platform for people who wanted to rewatch before TRoS premiered and 'get back up to speed'. Can't say I blame Netflix for that.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 15:52

Keep in mind that many streaming contracts run for several years. In other words, Netflix signed a deal that lasted 3 years or something like that, before The Last Jedi was even revealed. And breach of contract would cost Disney more than they made on it.

So, people may have dropped a ball, but it was a long time ago.

¡Damned!

2019-12-16, 16:02

*cue space opera music*

*opening crawl*

STREAMING
WARS

It is a period of content war.
Netflix, striking from a previous
contract negotiation, have won
a victory against the Disney Empire.

. . . .

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-16, 16:23

Star Wars, Schmar Wars...

The real question re: Disney+...Candleshoe?

The movie that made me first crush on Jodie Foster (though, even back then, I kinda knew). Like David Spade crushing on Ellen, back in their young standup days (before he “got the memo”...his words).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 17:23

Quote:
*cue space opera music*

*opening crawl*

STREAMING
WARS

It is a period of content war.
Netflix, striking from a previous
contract negotiation, have won
a victory against the Disney Empire.

. . . .

I feel a script coming on …
¡Damned!

2019-12-16, 17:41

Quote:
Star Wars, Schmar Wars...

The real question re: Disney+...Candleshoe?

Gotta say, the back catalog of Disney+ is responsible for at least half of my Disney app meandering. Anna is insane for The Parent Trap and others in the same vein/timeframe. I'm enjoying The Mandalorian quite a bit, but if they don't have a tentpole for me to keep subscribing then they'll go into my 're-subscibe every 3-6 months' streaming service list.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 17:53

And now back to the movie.

Speaking as someone who still has not seen #6 (tonight, hopefully).

Not sure who the mystery character is—Boba Fett or someone else. I've been trying to think of who it might be outside of Fett, and have come to the conclusion that the identity is being held until Wednesday's episode 7. I may be wrong (as I said, I have yet to see #6), but I think it will be someone who has some sort of influence on The Rise of Skywalker. It just makes sense, timing wise—as Scates has said.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-16, 17:54

I'm about 20 minutes or so into Episode 6 now. I'm going to try to get it finished before the next episode comes out to see if more light is shed. I'm guessing they will drag out the mystery character for a few episodes.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-16, 17:55

Quote:

Gotta say, the back catalog of Disney+ is responsible for at least half of my Disney app meandering. Anna is insane for The Parent Trap and others in the same vein/timeframe. I'm enjoying The Mandalorian quite a bit, but if they don't have a tentpole for me to keep subscribing then they'll go into my 're-subscibe every 3-6 months' streaming service list.
I've really been enjoying The World According To Jeff Goldblum. Talk about an eccentric goof-nugget! Still, the show has been very entertaining.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-17, 00:36

Just finished Number 6!

Man, I love this series. It is an on-going, super fun trip to nowhere! I think this episode was more meaningless than number 5, and yet it was just flat out fun. Kind of like Star Trek, maybe, but with the knowledge that it's maybe possibly going somewhere … someday. I love that this galactic bad-ass has such a killer reputation, but his encounter with Force McFrog has somehow tamed him just a bit. He's willing to show mercy, even to the people who intentionally cross him, while simultaneously wrecking everything he touches. It's just brilliant good fun!

And that ending! Oh, so clever. Sneaky little metal man, let me tell you. "They're sending out a star fighter." Oh, the timing!

Gotta love the humor, too. It's just so cleverly disguised and unforced. Whether it's the way McFrog acts like a real child, or the bafoonery of the bad guys, or that little McFrog thinking he just blasted a droid to pieces and then looking at his hand all surprised. Very rich and properly crafted. It's not that "This is such a drag" crap from the prequels, or the red arm C-3PO garbage from the [postquels? epiquels?]. It's just light and good, well timed, and we just know that Mando is smiling beneath his helmet, laughing at his own schtick!

Question: How can the same company that gave us Episode XIII gives us this brilliant show?

Also, this time I stayed for the credits and had a solid listen to the ending soundtrack, and, yeah, there's some Rocky in there.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-18, 19:40

AAAAAAAAH

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I say, about the seventh episode:

WHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHT

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-18, 19:42

In last week's sixth episode, I definitely felt like it got over the writing slump of the previous fifth episode, but it still had that feeling of being just another "adventure of the week". A well-paced adventure that did reveal more about Mando's personality, such as how he gave the traitors the punishment they deserved, but a self-contained episode nonetheless.

This week's, though.

THIS WEEK.

I DEMAND RESOLUTION TO THIS STORY.

WHEN DOES THE NEXT EPISODE DROP?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-19, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
AAAAAAAAH

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHT

THIS WEEK.

I DEMAND RESOLUTION TO THIS STORY.

WHEN DOES THE NEXT EPISODE DROP?
Right there with you. Jess and I looked at each other and she demanded, "Is that the end of Baby Yoda?"

"Well, how the hell should I know?"

Boy, the remnants of the Empire want that kid awful bad.

Grrrr …

I hate it when I like a show this much and can't binge watch! Kudos to Disney on this one.

At this point, I think the show is headed toward Episode XI, but I do not think the timing liines up such that we find out before tomorrow night. Seems like it is down the road a ways before it all makes any sense.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-19, 09:52

I actually finished catching up today and loved it. I was not surprised by the turn of events either. I'm looking forward to seeing how they get out of there personally. For some reason I have to think Apollo Creed is in on it.

Also, I think you're on to something about the connection to IX. The problem that might do for them is paint the show into a corner. I do hope they don't do that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-19, 11:18

Quote:
"Well, how the hell should I know?"
You're a dad. Dad's are supposed to be all-knowing, aren't they?

Quote:
I hate it when I like a show this much and can't binge watch! Kudos to Disney on this one.
Ditto. I was not at all looking forward to The Mandalorian, and before I caved and started watching, I was convinced it was just going to be another nostalgia-fueled cash grab. Now I find myself at the edge of my seat looking for more. Maybe I was only partially right.