User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Wait to buy a Mac or not?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wait to buy a Mac or not?
jakey02

2007-05-08, 22:00

I have always had a PC and after having problems with my current computer it's time to buy a new computer. I've heard nothing but bad things since Vista was relased, so the dilemma is to buy a Macbook Pro or wait until a newer model comes out with Leopard. I've reasearched throughout the Internet for the Macbook Pro and have read all good things as well as the newest Consumer Reports said the MBP is the number one laptop on the market.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-08, 22:02

We tell the same thing to every other person on here. Buy now if you need it now, wait if you can. There is always going to be a new model coming out.


jakey02

2007-05-08, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
We tell the same thing to every other person on here. Buy now if you need it now, wait if you can. There is always going to be a new model coming out.
Never owning a Mac before I don't know if and when new models are rumored to come out and the possible benefits to waiting. I did hear Leopard was now coming out in October.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-05-08, 22:40

I'd nurse the PC as long as possible.

I wouldn't hold out on buying a computer for Leopard. However, I would hold out on buying a MacBook Pro for at least another month.

Things to look forward to (rumored):
1) LED screens
2) New graphics cards from ATI
3) New chipset: faster FSB and flash caching (Robson)

June should be interesting.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-05-08, 22:40

It seems like the MacBook Pro and the iMac (maybe the Mac Mini) are going to be updated around the time of Leopard or earlier. That is just my opinion because I think the iMac and the MacBook Pro are in need of some cosmetic changes. Also, the whole Apple is going greener thing means there might be an update with led backlit displays in laptops or desktops (they didn't say) by the end of the year. If you can wait it is probably a good idea, but if you must have it I would recommend at least holding out until WWDC ends in June.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-09, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey02 View Post
Never owning a Mac before I don't know if and when new models are rumored to come out and the possible benefits to waiting. I did hear Leopard was now coming out in October.
The MacRumors Buyer's Guide tends to be a decent reference on the question "judging by prior release cycles, how soon is a replacement for a model expected?".
iKickAss

2007-05-09, 06:52

Think if the rumored improvements are worth the wait. Then remember that they might not come at all. Pull the trigger after WWDC. Don't wait for Leopard, Tiger is rock solid now. You can wait forever. The switch is going to be an enormous improvement regardless.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-05-09, 07:47

Anyway, the only Leopard issue is the amount - the relatively low amount - that it will cost to buy it separately. I don't know about your budget, but I am not thinking that this amount should be the reason you wait 5 months if you actually need a computer now.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-05-09, 09:22

Yeah, if you need a computer now it's a bit looney to wait six months just for a new OS. Leopard will cost $129 and there's nothing saying you need to upgrade to it immediately on release. If anything, try to hold out till WWDC in June. Apple may release new MBP with LED screens.
jakey02

2007-05-09, 13:48

Good stuff. I borrowed my buddies G laptop and im not impressed with the screens quality, but i did check out the apple store and the newer models look a hell of a lot better. I've been wanting a Mac for awhile, so what's another month to see if a newer model comes out in June.