User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Alarm clocks intended as playful prank, not fake bombs" NO SHIT?!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Alarm clocks intended as playful prank, not fake bombs" NO SHIT?!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-06-15, 00:22

http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...WS02/706140376

Sick. Sick, sick, sick. Money quote:
Quote:
But school officials, police and some community members said the teenagers should have known better in light of the 1999 Columbine High School massacre, the recent Virginia Tech shooting and the continuing threat of terrorism.
Those "school officials [and] police [..] members" should have been fired from their respective jobs right there and then.

The terrorists have won.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-15, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...WS02/706140376

Sick. Sick, sick, sick. Money quote:

Those "school officials [and] police [..] members" should have been fired from their respective jobs right there and then.

The terrorists have won.
No they shouldn't have.

Stupid charges? Yes. Understandable investigation of many planted clocks throughout a school building in the middle of the night? Yes.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 01:00

Ugh, this is ridiculous.

Brave, if I recall correctly, you also supported the actions of the Boston Police during the lite-brite nonsense that was going on there.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 01:08

What the hell ever happened to having intent match the charge? Christ. Now, what crime you get charged with, or *if* you get charged, is wholly up to the paranoia level of some pinheaded bureaucrat with a bug up their ass, who doesn't want to look like the overreacting moron they are when all is said and done.

If they did not look like bombs, and were not intended to be 'fake bombs', then the charge is BS. Charge them with B&E? Yeah, absolutely. They showed poor judgement in how they went about the prank. But this? BS.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-06-15, 01:18

I can't stand inflated charges based on paranoia. Those 19 students should be punished for breaking into the room. Fear-based interpretation should be used against them. It is up to the individual to control their fear of suspicion and is unique to each person. You can not hold someone responsible for another's wild speculation.

This is out of control and a debasement to American Society.'

I feel a rant coming up...
Or maybe it is gas.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-06-15, 01:26

Okay, so they investigated it, and I understand that. But it seems that "fake bombs" are the new witch hunts.

From reading the comments it seems that most news outlets are glossing over the details, labeling the clocks as "fake bombs" without explaining that they were intended as a prank and weren't meant to look like bombs at all.

I just hope that none of the students involved get in serious trouble. They should make the ones responsible do community service, just for causing so much trouble, but I think some of the blame has to fall on the people who scream that the sky is falling. No one should have to spend "up to four years in prison" on "felony charges" over something like this.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-06-15, 01:38

WTF?!? Seriously? Felony charges for bringing an alarm clock to school? That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-06-15, 02:13

Ridiculous.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2007-06-15, 02:49

...That's an outrage. Fucking bombs with alarm clocks have something fucking ATTACHED to them. The fucking clock itself isn't the bomb. That should have tipped someone off that this wasn't meant as a false bomb threat. Don't these people in the administration or the police force remember any pranks from their own HS days? If memory serves correctly, they INVENTED the "everyone does something at the same time" prank in order to disrupt class. Up to four years in prison for this? My ass. Charge them for breaking and entering, sure, but trumping something up that simply isn't true is the fucking crime here. These fuckers want a real crime? How about my HS, where we poured cement around the doors, or a few other Toledo area schools, where they set a football field on fire or flooded the school with safety showers and cost a shitton of money? What a fucking joke. When I start teaching, I'll be the loudest support for students that get into situations like these.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-06-15, 03:20

What's that brown lump next to the clocks on the picture?

Apart form the duct tape the clocks don't look anything out of the ordinary, but if they had that lump taped to them, people could easily have mistaken them for bombs.

Last edited by Mugge : 2007-06-15 at 05:04. Reason: typo
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-06-15, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Charge them with B&E? Yeah, absolutely.
What? It's a prank! It doesn't matter if it's poor humor, poor planning or pure lameness. It's still a prank, and high school students, out of traditions, are entitled to make it. There was absolutely no violent or otherwise malicious intent, and that some teachers, police officers, school administrators and "community members" had absolutely no freaking sense of humor doesn't change that in the least, which is ironic because they grew up in a generation where such pranks were perfectly normal. No, they shouldn't be charged with anything, they should be honored for being human beings and showing it.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-06-15, 04:13

Oh my godz!!11 Mugge is goin to asplode us up the interwebz. Oh Noes!!11!

[ Insert lolcat picture ]
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-06-15, 04:25

It was a harmless prank. Talk about over-react!! Jeesh.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-06-15, 05:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Oh my godz!!11 Mugge is goin to asplode us up the interwebz. Oh Noes!!11!

[ Insert lolcat picture ]
What are you trying to say?

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-15, 09:52

It's interesting that administrators aren't willing to talk about the lost keys. Oops.

I also find it interesting that they want to charge whoever donated toward the prank. Love mom's rhetoric about if we were supporting a political cause and it was discovered that the politician were dirty, we should be punished for supporting him.

And kudos to administrators for sending out a mixed message. It seems that the pranks are a tradition, and it has been discussed openly in presence of faculty without any warning or disclipinary actions. Until they planted the alarm clocks. Whoops.

That said, I'm still not sure about the details. The article says that custodian and state patrol were the first one to see the alarms clock and backed out to call the bomb squad. What was the state patrol doing there on a Sunday afternoon? (Silly me. I missed the part that the security system was tripped.)

As for the fake bombing charges, it seems that they were duct taped to the wall; if some of those were partially obstructed, it could have seen as if there would be something attached to the alarms? At least the police did the right thing and not closing down the school after they determined clocks to be harmless, though I'd think the kids should get a slap on the wrist for using something that is very commonly associated with a real bomb, just not felony charges. That'd just unneedlessly ruin their lives.