User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

How Do I Connect A PC to My Airport Express Network?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How Do I Connect A PC to My Airport Express Network?
PKfanSteph

2009-01-09, 21:39

I've been connecting my MacBook Pro to a home DSL using an Airport Expess for two years without a problem. Several visitors (including PC users) have used it without a problem as well. But my parents just got a PC given to them. Problem is, there's no wireless network card. The whole point of them getting a computer was so they could have internet, so what hardware do we need to connect the PC to my already running Airport Express? It's been almost a decade since I've touched a PC and I have no info on the one they've been given (except that it lacks wireless), but they want it up and connected ASAP!

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-- Steph

Stephanie Bargenquast,
MacBook Pro 15.4" (matte), 2.16 GHz Core Duo, 2 Gb RAM, 100 Gb HD, OSX 10.6.2
12" PowerBook G3 (WallStreet), 233 GHz, 96 Mb RAM, 2 Gb HD, MacOS 8.6
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-01-09, 22:02

Desktop or laptop? If it's a desktop, an internal PCI card that gives wifi would work, or a USB wifi adapter. I'd be surprised if a laptop didn't come with wifi, but a USB adapter or an expresscard one would both work.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
PKfanSteph

2009-01-09, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Desktop or laptop? If it's a desktop, an internal PCI card that gives wifi would work, or a USB wifi adapter. I'd be surprised if a laptop didn't come with wifi, but a USB adapter or an expresscard one would both work.
It is a desktop, sorry!

Is there a particular brand or model of USB adapter we need to be compatible with the Airport Express, or does it not matter?

Thanks,

-- Steph

Stephanie Bargenquast,
MacBook Pro 15.4" (matte), 2.16 GHz Core Duo, 2 Gb RAM, 100 Gb HD, OSX 10.6.2
12" PowerBook G3 (WallStreet), 233 GHz, 96 Mb RAM, 2 Gb HD, MacOS 8.6
colivigan
Veteran Member

2009-01-09, 22:52

I'd go with the PCI card, if you can stomach opening the case and plugging a card to the motherboard. It won't occupy a USB port, and you'll probably get better speed. Look for an 802.11g card. Something like this.

Is the PC within cable distance of the APE? I can't remember if the APE has ethernet ports (maybe 1?), but if the PC has a network interface, that might be a cheap solution.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-01-09, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKfanSteph View Post
It is a desktop, sorry!

Is there a particular brand or model of USB adapter we need to be compatible with the Airport Express, or does it not matter?

Thanks,

-- Steph
If you know youre you're only using 802.11n, get one compatible with that spec (like if you only use a newer mac with the express). It'll cost you a bit more, but you'll have the warm fuzzy of being at the top of the food chain, wireless network wise.

Otherwise, get any 802.11g spec adapter (like, if you've got an iPhone connected to your wireless network). I've never had a problem with any modern wireless network adapter.

real hackers don't use sigs