Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Send a Fax from a Current Computer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Send a Fax from a Current Computer
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-03-31, 15:18

I know that you can send faxes from computers hooked up with telephone modems, but I am long gone from that era. I'm wondering if there is a way to send a fax from a current computer? I need to send some information to a financial company and they won't accept it via email. Do I have any options other than going to Kinkos?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-03-31, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I know that you can send faxes from computers hooked up with telephone modems, but I am long gone from that era. I'm wondering if there is a way to send a fax from a current computer? I need to send some information to a financial company and they won't accept it via email. Do I have any options other than going to Kinkos?
I use eFax. There are a lot of complaints about them but they seem reliable for my needs. I don't know if they have a "one off" type dealio though.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-03-31, 15:51

I've used http://faxzero.com/ in the past. For the only times I needed to send a fax, it worked. If you don't pay the 2$ (which I didn't), there's a kind of ad page added to your content like so:

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-03-31, 18:44

I've done the FaxZero thing as well and it's worked out very well for me. Who cares if there's an ad put on there? Doesn't bother me at all.

But, I'm so annoyed with the companies that require you to fax information into them. So much easier to just send an email

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-31, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
But, I'm so annoyed with the companies that require you to fax information into them. So much easier to just send an email
No kidding. I remember being like, "Who faxes anymore?" in, like, 2003.

It's like customer service places that have an e-mail/IM department that just tells you to call. WTF?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-03-31, 19:37

At my new job, we get a lot of faxes from consultants that are spread around the world, but at least we have software that converts the faxes into email. Much better to handle.

Although, buying the software to send email as faxes is much more expensive, so it's still the old fashioned way for when we have to send one.

I'm just amazed that the fax is still used as much as it is today. I can imagine being amazed by it 30 years ago, but today? It's antiquated.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-03-31, 23:04

This thread interests me a ton. The company I run, we have a fax machine and a ton of paper and toner is used on needless stuff. I'd love to be able to have my faxes sent to my mbp so I can print off what I need.

How easy is efax to set up and how would I do that from my Brother multiprinter if I use it via wifi? Also is there a way to do it while still keeping my same number?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-31, 23:29

You can get something like an HP 8500A Plus or Premium AiO that give digital fax filing for you. It gets the faxes and emails them to you or you can retrieve them and print the ones you want. No more wasted paper on your opportunity to save on insurance or get cheap tickets etc. You know all the junk faxes I'm sure. Office Depot has the Premium on sale right now too.

There are other options, but that one sticks out in my mind as a good option to limit incoming faxes. That or you can get a USB modem and let a Mac handle it instead.

Speaking of, wouldn't this work for the OP too?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-03-31, 23:37

This might sound like a dumb question, but when using the USB adapter, what program do you use to receive the fax? Is it received as a PDF?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-31, 23:45

I think it's built into Mac OS. At least it used to be. I'll have to look now.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-04-01, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
I've used http://faxzero.com/ in the past. For the only times I needed to send a fax, it worked. If you don't pay the 2$ (which I didn't), there's a kind of ad page added to your content like so:
Thanks! This seems to be exactly what I need.

Related to the other discussion, I really don't know why they will only accept a fax. I bought my house almost completely over email, I don't know why you would ever need to find a fax machine anymore.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-04-01, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I think it's built into Mac OS. At least it used to be. I'll have to look now.
I'm wondering if you'd just set it as the USB Fax in the Printers/Fax and then it would ask you for a destination and go from there? I'm very interested in pursuing this....

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-01, 09:43

eFax is really simple. They give you a number and faxes sent to that are emailed to you as a PDF. If you need to send a fax, you upload the document (they can handle like 15 different file formats) and it's faxed to the number you specify.

What I do if I have a paper document I need to fax is I scan it in and then upload it. Nowadays, I usually just need to fax a document with my signature on it so I've got a little png with my signature that I put into the doc and save that as a pdf and go.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-01, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'm wondering if you'd just set it as the USB Fax in the Printers/Fax and then it would ask you for a destination and go from there? I'm very interested in pursuing this....
I think that is exactly what happens. Now I'm considering setting it up this way on my Mac Mini I'm using as a media server....