User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Help me name my "thing" (company/agency/business/whatever)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help me name my "thing" (company/agency/business/whatever)
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2008-01-16, 19:45

I'm doing web design on-the-side of school and "work", and a client said to me why don't I have a company name. I said there was no reason and somehow the subject was changed. But it did get met thinking.

I've decided that I need a name for company/thing and a name for what I do.

The way I see it, I'm a web designer, web developer and site manager - like a complete solution, really. So, perhaps instead of using "Web Designer" as my title, I could use something different, but I don't know what to use. (That's name number 1 for you to think about)

The other thing I need is a name for the acutal business. I get called Cow a lot by my friends and stuff, so I'm definitely thinking something with Cow in it. Obviously, catchy is best and the other requirement for this is that it needs to have the .com available.

I've tried a few different things, but I just can't settle on any of them, and then I can't think of anything better. Runs in the family - my Mum had a bitch of a time naming me apparently.

Hoping someone can help me think of a name...
Thanks,
Anthony
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-01-16, 19:51

iFerret's Crazy Wacky Web Design Cow
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-16, 20:12

BovineDesign
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-01-16, 20:19

Mad Cow Designs
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-01-16, 20:26

(Web Designs by) The Complete Solution.

If you look for it COW is included.
¡Damned!

2008-01-16, 20:29

SpiderCow Design

"I churn out the web."

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-01-16, 20:37

MooCow Webdesigns.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2008-01-16, 20:57

Farenheit stole my "Moo Cow" phrase.

CowCoder?
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-01-16, 21:04

CheeseCow

"We save you the cheese, but you get the whole cow"
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-16, 21:11

A name related to webdesign (to make it obvious what you do) is nice in the beginning when the customers find you.
However, if you are good at what you do and treat your customers right, you will find the name will cease to matter due to word of mouth advertising.
Therefore, I will humbly suggest that your name does not need to be related in any way to what you do. It does need to be distinctive, however. Something easy to remember.

Edit: Yesterday, I saw a carpenter's van. His business name was "Cand. Skru." which at first glance looks like a nice title on a business card, but when you say it out loud, it says (in danish obviously) "can screw" which is exactly what a carpenter does. He screws boards together. Brilliant name and I'm hoping that he puts as much effort into his craftsmanship as he did in the name. (I've had absolutely terrible experiences with virtually every craftsman that's done anything for me).

Converted 07/2005.

Last edited by Yonzie : 2008-01-16 at 21:40.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-01-16, 21:24

There's a good Far Side joke in here somewhere, but I'm udderly stumped.
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-01-16, 21:38

That post was just moooooving, UncleJohn.
¡Damned!

2008-01-16, 21:44

That's the worst joke I've ever herd.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-01-16, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
That's the worst joke I've ever herd.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-01-16, 21:54

CodeCow

Gives you a "CC" initials/shortcut, which, graphically, you could do tons with (branding iron motif...do they brand cows?)

Or something with underscores, colons, slashes, etc. Make the words CodeCow look like code, with some sort of "<" or whatever worked in?

Too bad Gateway seems to have a lock on that whole "black/white cow pattern" thing, because you could certainly work that in to nice effect as well.

Something I like seeing is when I modern, tech-oriented outfit uses a very "opposite" image for its identity. You'd expect a web designer/developer, etc. to have a very snazzy, modern, rounded, "techie" logo or image. But if I'm in your shoes, I play up that cow and barn/farm angle a skootch. Or I have a logo that's catchy because, at first glance, you thinking you're looking at a milk or dairy logo (cow head with a bell, rolling hills, nice arched type with a rustic/casual feel, cow's bell, milking stool, etc.), but you twist it back to the web/design/tech thing with unexpected coloring or illustration style (the logo/cow is done in a digital/tech sort of way...pixels or scan lines, etc. or some sort of catchy twist).

I don't know...I'm just yammering out ideas as they come.

But I think a lot of web/tech outfits have logos and identities that play up that exact thing (web, tech, digital, etc.), and they all kinda run together (same sort of typography and graphics, etc.), or look all like variations of the same type of deal. But if your friends call you "cow", they've provided you with a wonderful hook/element for you to run with! That's often half the battle...

lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2008-01-16, 22:38

If you can afford Christopher Walken as a spokesperson, there's only one possible name for your company:

Cowbell Solutions.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-16, 23:26

Or that could be part of the slogan instead

"We give your site that extra bit of cow bell!"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-01-17, 00:02

Or, even punchier, "You need more cowbell."
zsummers
Avast!

2008-01-17, 02:03

Or just nip it down a bit further: "More Cowbell." Or perhaps just "More Cow." Kind of like "Moo Cow," kind of like "More Cowbell." Has a certain ring.

I'm also partial to Moog's "BovineDesign."

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-01-17, 04:13

COWWW Creative

"Design with no Bull"
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2008-01-17, 05:59

Okay. Thanks to everyone who responded. Your suggestions were all good and I enjoyed reading them. Being a Far Side fane (kind of) I also enjoyed the Far Side reference, etc.

In the end, I went with Bovine Design as the name and a slogan which I haven't quite worked out based on some of the ideas here. I'm going to use several slogans, tied into different things, so everyone's suggestion have been used mangled into these slogans (or rather, will be - it's about half done).

Paul's ideas have also been taken into account, and when I get around to opening Photoshop one day, I'll be thinking about that sort of thing.

Anyways, thanks to all, and I'm going to +rep you guys.
nikopolidis

2008-01-21, 06:00

Cool On-line Web (COW)
iFerret's Webby
Fooboy

2008-01-21, 09:56

fattened calf design slaughterhouse

Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-01-21, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFerret View Post
Paul's ideas have also been taken into account, and when I get around to opening Photoshop one day, I'll be thinking about that sort of thing.
You're using "More Cowbell" as your slogan? The company t-shirts are ready to go!