Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple Event - March 2016 - "Let Us Loop You In"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Event - March 2016 - "Let Us Loop You In"
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2016-03-28, 11:45

I've never actually bought an iPhone at an Apple Store before so it will be a first for me. I had always gone to a carrier store before. I'm going SIM free this time so when I go back home I can just put a UK SIM card in there. I probably would have a preordered myself but I don't have a credit card with a high enough limit yet, so I pretty much have to buy it in the store, since Apple don't accept interac on their online store for some reason.

I noticed that Apple have released multiple new colours for their silicone cases for the 6/6s lines but nothing at all for the SE yet, other than existing leather cases in 2 colours they already had for the 5S. I'd quite like a red silicone case to match my space grey iPad mini with red Smart Cover.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-03-28, 13:23

Some nice 3rd-party cases are already available - though I suppose that is because iPhone 5S cases fit it as well.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...hone-se-cases/

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-28, 13:51

Dumb question alert (I think I know the answer, I just want to hear it confirmed): I've been off-contract for 18+ months, just paying my ~$50 voice/data monthly bill (no longer paying off an iPhone...that ended in fall of 2014). If I pay the $399 (+ tax) on this SE, my monthly bill change, right? The only way it would/could go up is if I'm paying off the iPhone itself over 24 months, in the form of the $13.30 that would get added to my bill for the next two years, correct?

But if I just buy the thing outright, upfront, things will be like they are now (just a low service-only monthly bill)? There is no phone to pay off, etc.

I can't imagine how that wouldn't be the case, but these damn phone plans, upgrades, charges, financing, contracts, etc. have just never been clear and easy for me. I'm a reasonably smart guy, but something about all this mobile stuff just brings out the stupid/clueless in me... I always think there's some sort of crazy, hidden, horseshit "gotcha!" lurking about somewhere.

If I can swing it, that might be how I go. I just like the idea of being over and done with it, and owning it outright.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-03-28, 15:34

I doubt there will be a line outside of the first half hour of the store being open. There definitely shouldn't be availability issues.

Also I can't fathom why anyone would buy a phone from a carrier store (especially when they are usually independent authorized dealers) vs the Apple Store if there is one nearby.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-28, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Dumb question alert (I think I know the answer, I just want to hear it confirmed): I've been off-contract for 18+ months, just paying my ~$50 voice/data monthly bill (no longer paying off an iPhone...that ended in fall of 2014). If I pay the $399 (+ tax) on this SE, my monthly bill change, right? The only way it would/could go up is if I'm paying off the iPhone itself over 24 months, in the form of the $13.30 that would get added to my bill for the next two years, correct?

But if I just buy the thing outright, upfront, things will be like they are now (just a low service-only monthly bill)? There is no phone to pay off, etc.

I can't imagine how that wouldn't be the case, but these damn phone plans, upgrades, charges, financing, contracts, etc. have just never been clear and easy for me. I'm a reasonably smart guy, but something about all this mobile stuff just brings out the stupid/clueless in me... I always think there's some sort of crazy, hidden, horseshit "gotcha!" lurking about somewhere.

If I can swing it, that might be how I go. I just like the idea of being over and done with it, and owning it outright.
Yeah, if you pay cash for the phone you won't have a bill increase. They will charge you tax and an activation fee or two I'm sure. So expect it to be a little closer to $475 when all is said and done. You monthly bill will stay the same though if you don't elect to change your plan.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-28, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Also I can't fathom why anyone would buy a phone from a carrier store (especially when they are usually independent authorized dealers) vs the Apple Store if there is one nearby.
For me, that's the exact reason why...distance. The closest Apple Store to me is 90+ minute drive (each way) to Knoxville. Atlanta and Nashville are even farther (and more crowded, higher traffic, etc.). But the AT&T store is five miles away and it's where I've purchased all three of my iPhones since 2007 with no issues.

Chattanooga is never going to get an Apple Store (they'll open another 20-25 in California before they'd ever put one here) so the carrier store is the best option. Or even Best Buy or Walmart, if the prices are all the same and it's all the same model. In fact, prices at Best Buy and Walmart are sometimes lower...they seem to run occasional specials and discounts that I've never seen Apple or the carrier stores do. My friend got her 5s for $149 at Best Buy (and this was still when the 5s was the flagship model, so it wasn't like some post-iPhone 6 "blowout" of the old, smaller models). It was right around the holidays of 2013/2014...the 5s wasn't even six months old.

I always know which model I'm after (and why), and I know all the specs, configurations, etc. available to me, so I've never needed to buy in an Apple Store for access to any sort of advice or help with a purchase decision. If someone is buying their first iPhone (or smartphone period), I can certainly understand wanting to do so at an Apple Store, simply for the guidance, Q&A, hands-on demos, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-03-29 at 09:38.
joshuapaul

2016-03-29, 02:07

yeah, i guess headphones.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-29, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Yeah, if you pay cash for the phone you won't have a bill increase. They will charge you tax and an activation fee or two I'm sure. So expect it to be a little closer to $475 when all is said and done. You monthly bill will stay the same though if you don't elect to change your plan.
Thanks. I figured that was the case (had to be, right?). I don't think the overall outlay is any different (AT&T Next doesn't add interest or any sort of penalty for the breakdown in payments). But just in terms of "buy and be done, own it outright and keep the same monthly payments I've been used to for 18 months", I may go ahead and go that route this time. Any time I have the option of buying something upfront, in full (vs. being tied to a long stretch of payments), I try to do so. And $399 is a bit easier to swing than $649. More like buying an iPod vs. a Mac mini, psychologically. Something about being under that $500 barrier puts it into "manageable/buy outright with cash" territory.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-03-29 at 09:42.
joshuapaul

2016-03-29, 23:53

i think apple will be going to introduce a 2-disc DVD set of orchestra strike loops for Garageband.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2016-03-31, 16:56

I did go the Apple Store today in downtown Montreal, and by 6pm they had run out of all 64GB models. Another day I guess!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-31, 23:03

I helped my stepmom set up her new SE this evening. Nice and snappy, it was. No surprises or anything to goo-goo about on the design/display front (it's a 5s in all those ways). So what? For those of us who really liked that design/screen size, that's nothing but a big plus/positive.

But I could tell there was much more happening under the hood...nimble, responsive and the battery percentage barely budged after 3-4 hours of steady use, post set-up.

I'm so glad Apple did this. I do believe this will be a "stealth" hit and a solid seller.
joshuapaul

2016-04-01, 02:58

I suck at life.

Last edited by alcimedes : 2016-04-01 at 10:11.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2016-04-02, 19:56

I tried a different Apple Store today: the only SE they had in stock was the rose gold in 16GB.