User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPod app, and new iStore app needed

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod app, and new iStore app needed
yoda_four

2004-12-29, 22:15

Considering iPod already does music and photos and we all know that good PDA functionality (calendar, notes, etc.) and video content is just around the corner; does Apple really think we'll handle this all through iTunes? It'll no longer be about Tunes but so much more.

I think that Apple will need to create a simple iPod app, through which you control what selections and content you want updated. Just like the menu through iTunes, but outside of iTunes. Then Apple could actually add in it's own proper way of the iPod adding iCal, Mail, and Address Book updates with a simple checkoff. Actually, a lot like iSync but only for iPod. (PodSync?)

I just think it's really stupid having to choose which photos files you want on your iPod, through iTunes. Either it should've been controlled through iPhoto (ya, doesn't work with Windows ppl), or in iPod's own sync app.

Another beef I have: when an Apple video content soution arrives, I truly think a new app is needed! Either just for buying videos online or they could remove the iTMS from iTunes and add it to this A/V Store. You'd select whether you want to buy audio, or video; then start buying. It seems ridiculous to be buying video through a music app. I just don't know what Music videos would be placed under, audio or video. IMO, I could see myself and others purchasing music videos, trailers, short films, and TV shows through an iFlix store.

What do ya think?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-29, 22:41

hmmm ... agree completely with you I do yoda_four

read, must you, this thread -> use the force

As for the video content and iTMS blurriness - I agree - just make it the A/V store or something ... I can't stand poorly named products and ill defined roles/capabilities ... but then again, I can get pretty anal about this stuff. But what the heck, we're entitled to our own opinions and loving it being done right is part of the Apple psyche I think. We deserve perfection!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-12-29, 23:08

A lot of that is IN iSync already. You can pick and choose what you want synced, etc. Sure, it's Mac only, but that's the value-added part of having an iPod and a Mac. It's not touted enough, IMHO.
I Thrash Therefore I Am

Send a message via AIM to I Thrash Therefore I Am  
2004-12-30, 06:51

Add it in to quicktime.

Though an all in one would be easier. Change it to Apple Media Store. It wouldn't be very hard. Or just change the name of itunes and give it a viewing screen.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-12-30, 06:57

Lack of iPhoto on Windows is trivial. Port it (no loss - people aren't exactly switching to Mac for iPhoto) or license a lite version of Google's Picasa.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-12-30, 11:05

Seems a little backwards to me, actually. I would think that your calendar app, your mail app, your contacts app, etc. would simply incorporate the ability to sync with an iPod and control how, when it syncs too. Apple is providing this functionality with sync services in Tiger too. It would just be up to a developer to pick up on it.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-12-30, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
Lack of iPhoto on Windows is trivial. Port it (no loss - people aren't exactly switching to Mac for iPhoto) or license a lite version of Google's Picasa.
iPhoto is Cocoa; porting it to Windows is much more effort than porting iTunes to Windows was, since Carbon on Windows already mostly existed through QuickTime.

Picasa would be a good idea.