User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Do you shut down your computer or do you put your computer to sleep?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Do you shut down your computer or do you put your computer to sleep?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-08, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Correct. Try not to reply to long dead threads tho guys...

Look at the time stamps—this thread is six months old!
lol... This isn't the worst I've ever seen. Threads on some other forums I'm on have been resurrected three years after their inception!

I don't complain too much, though. It shows me that somebody actually searched before starting a brand-new, but repeated, thread.

Information is information, new or old.

The question wrinkles posted seems valid, though. Do those scripts I mentioned also run while the computer is sitting there with the login screen?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-08, 22:01

Fair enough BarracksSi I can't answer your question for sure though, sorry. (My gut says the scripts would run when all users are logged out, its Unix (based on ~) after all.)

bouncy bouncy
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-08, 22:11

I sleep it.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-08, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Fair enough BarracksSi I can't answer your question for sure though, sorry. (My gut says the scripts would run when all users are logged out, its Unix (based on ~) after all.)
I'd think that the system-level stuff would keep running, too, since it looks like system-level process are all run by root.
wrinkles

2005-01-08, 22:27

from http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

"If your Mac is shut down or in sleep mode during these hours, these maintenance tasks will not run. [2] This results in log files that will grow over time, consuming free space on your Mac OS X boot volume."

and

"If you Log Out from your Mac OS X system and leave it with the Login Window displayed, your Mac can still enter sleep mode. When left at the Login Window, your Mac will enter sleep mode based on the settings specified by the last Admin user in System Preferences > Energy Saver. Therefore, if you want to leave your Mac with the Login Window displayed and still have the nightly Mac OS X maintenance routines run automatically, an Admin user must set System Sleep to Never in the System Preferences > Energy Saver > Sleep tab."

I feel kind of goofy replying to my own question
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-08, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles
I feel kind of goofy replying to my own question
YOU feel goofy? I was just sitting here guessing... lol

Good job finding the actual answer, though!
wrinkles

2005-01-08, 22:45

I'll probably start turning off auto-sleep and logging out (for now), but I'm not satisfied that I know what is best. I noticed that I can turn auto-sleep to never yet turn monitor to sleep and "hard drive when possible". Seems reasonable without more info.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-08, 22:54

Yeah, wrinkles, that sounds fine. All you need to keep "awake" is the system; the display can go to sleep whenever you want (I set mine to turn off instead of just dim), and keeping the HD spun down will help, too.

And, according to the info you found, those settings will still let the maintenance scripts do their stuff even when logged out.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-08, 23:11

I believe this feature was changed in 10.3.4:

Quote:
Addresses an issue in which scheduled items, such as automated backups or Software Update checks, may not work if the computer is asleep at the scheduled time. With this update, the schedule will run once the computer wakes from sleep.
Perhaps they run automatically when you turn your computer on or wake it from sleep now.

By the way, I'd recommend against setting the hard drive to sleep when possible. The timer seems to be pretty short for it, and unlike OS 9, you can't change it. When I tried using it I ended up running into delays fairly often where my hard drive had to spin up. This might be a useful feature for a laptop on battery power if you're not going to be doing any disk-intensive tasks, but I'd recommend against it for a desktop machine or a laptop that sits on a desk.
wrinkles

2005-01-08, 23:38

Thanks, Taco. That explains the flurry of activity I noticed recently after startup. I'd like to know what the disk sleep delay is. A google found a program which adjusts the disk spin-down (TinkerTool System) among other admin-type stuff. I'd rather not let 3rd party software change critical system settings though. I'd rather find the file or property list and screw it up myself!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-09, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
Oh not this again...

Sigh...

I shut my computer down, if it is not doing anything overnight that is.
What he said...

(Folding)
Wraven

2005-01-09, 00:44

I don't shut down any of my computers, as I am attempting to bust my way into the AppleNova folding Top 10 .
Dave Marsh

2005-01-09, 02:10

I never shut down any of my Macs (Tower, iBook, iMac) running MacOS X 10.3.7, except to restart for some specific task (one specific case when I shut down my iBook is when I'm transporting it in the car, but I've heard even that's not necessary, unless you're worried about your battery life). This allows the OS to run its nightly maintenance, which includes archiving old logs, setting up new ones, etc. I do set my HD to sleep when necessary (i.e., not being used), let my screen saver come on, let my display shut off. My processor is set to never sleep, to permit SETI to continue to run through the night. My Tower is plugged into an APC UPS to filter its power, and provide battery backup, which paid off tonight during a storm that caused a power burp. Each of my Macs will wake to a usable state from sleep almost immediately (under five seconds), while a cold restart will typically take a minute or so. Since I want to be able to just walk up to my Mac and use it, this arrangement works best for me.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-09, 11:56

I only ever sleep my powerbook when I'm moving it. Otherwise, it's on. My other machines I always let run FOLDING!!!! You should too.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 17:55

Since this is apart of this thread:

I have a Firewire hardDrive and when I put it to sleep it turns off and when I wake up the computer it turns back on...is that bad for the Firewire Hard Drive?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-01-09, 18:37

Too much wear shortens the life of your drive. If you are not going to use it, it is best to eject/unplug it. However, the auto spin-down can help prolong the life of a drive if you were using it so I would keep this feature enabled.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-09, 19:02

No! It puts more wear on a drive to have it constantly spinning down and spinning back up than it does to simply let it keep spinning. I mean, go ahead and let your computer sleep and let the hard drive spin down overnight if you want, but don't enable the "allow drives to sleep when possible" option. Not only does it make for a worse user experience, but it puts more wear on the drive.

A couple spin downs and spin ups a day are fine, but I'd be worried for a hard drive that spins down every 15 minutes.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-01-09, 19:30

I guess this all depends on your situation and how much you use the external drive.

I use my external mostly to record TV shows only a few times a day so, to me, it is worse to have it spinning all day long. Also, there is no fan in my case so I am worried about heat build-up.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET