AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 12 of 42 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-10-04, 17:53

Classic. I'm sure the real doctors at Walter Reed are tickled pink.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-10-05, 04:21

I hope he gets/is really, really sick. I don't care whether he lives or dies.

Those are the only results that serve the greater good as far as things stand ATM.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-10-05, 06:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
The only safe outcome for the American people is now to hope that the president recovers fully and then is so utterly destroyed in both popular vote and electoral college that he has no choice but to concede to a peaceful transfer of power; and, that following his exit from office, both he and his cabal of cleptocrats (extended family and children) is punished to the full extent of the law for every breach of office (as president), and for any and all transgressions for which there is evidence to convict him of any misdeeds as a private citizen. But those are a lot of hurdles to clear...

The danger of not clearing them borders on civil war, especially for the first few, certainly civil unrest not seen since peak of civil rights resistance in the late 50's early 60's. I know it sounds insane to think it, but he has so successfully fomented existing conflicts and unrest, that in any other nation in the world a security analyst would at least raise a threat level warning. There are too many guns and too much ignorance to have the same confidence in the virtues of the American people or their government that we once had.
Bravo!

Superb post Matsu

I feel very sorry for what has been brought upon the American people.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2020-10-05, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Bravo!

Superb post Matsu

I feel very sorry for what has been brought upon the American people.
It's a shitty situation, but ultimately, we brought this fucking mess upon ourselves. We elected a goddamn sociopathic moron who gives zero shits about anyone except himself.

Last edited by tomoe : 2020-10-05 at 23:43. Reason: removed errant asterisk
crazychester

2020-11-06, 05:03

One out of two ain't bad.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-06, 11:53

Y'all can thank me for saving the world now by the way. #AbsenteeCavalry

Dr. Bobsky

2020-11-07, 13:05

Can the US survive three months of a petulant sociopath running the nation while the pandemic rages?
¡Damned!

2020-11-07, 17:40

Trump was able to do all that he did because of his Republican enablers. Expect a lot of backpedaling and deleted tweets from those that strongly supported the president and his vision to twist America to his selfish fickleness.

As for the next 3 months... grift with a capital G. Other than that I really have no idea. They continue to surprise with how cruel they can be.

[edit]:

THE OBSERVERS WERE NOT ALLOWED INTO THE COUNTING ROOMS. I WON THE ELECTION, GOT 71,000,000 LEGAL VOTES. BAD THINGS HAPPENED WHICH OUR OBSERVERS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE. NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. MILLIONS OF MAIL-IN BALLOTS WERE SENT TO PEOPLE WHO NEVER ASKED FOR THEM!

- - - - -

So, yeah. Interesting times ahead.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2020-11-07 at 18:53.
crazychester

2020-11-07, 20:42

There is no doubt in my mind that Trump could have, and probably would have, won if he had made even a half-arsed attempt to deal with the pandemic (oh and not told supporters not to vote by mail - what a maroon!) He was an incumbent during a national crisis FFS.

The giant man baby lost first and foremost because he's as dumb as a bag of rocks.

And I, for one, am very happy about it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-29, 15:58

More and more of my medical industry friends are getting vaccinated. However we have a big challenge ahead of us:

If the goal is to reach 80% of Americans vaccinated with a 2-dose vaccine, it will take 10 years at our current pace. We are at 1 million vaccinations a week. To get to herd immunity by June 2021, we need to be at 3.5 million vaccinations a day.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-30, 09:41

Here in Canada the general population isn’t expected to get access to the vaccine until the fall of 2021. In other words, not much chance of things getting back to normal by this time next year.

With the UK faster spreading variant getting into other places now (including here), thanks to idiots who thought international travel was a good idea, it’s going to get worse before it gets better, no doubt about it.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-12-30, 10:32

Uk variant for the win!

Honestly, if you think this is the end of the virus's evolution, you've got another think coming... There will be an immense selection pressure on the virus to get around these early vaccines. And even if it takes only six weeks to make a new vaccine, and only several months to get it out to the general population, that's a lot of sick people...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-30, 11:10

Meanwhile, my conservative friends are currently harrumphing at me over low flu numbers... and continue going out to meetups with like-minded heretics...

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-12-30, 11:23

Just joining this discussion on page 12. What could go wrong?

Anyway, Israel has just over 8 million people. They've vaccinated 500,000 in the last nine days.
And the easier-to-deploy vaccines aren't even available yet.

God bless 'em. They will have a quarter of their country done by January. Anyone else this far ahead?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-12-30, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Uk variant for the win!

Honestly, if you think this is the end of the virus's evolution, you've got another think coming... There will be an immense selection pressure on the virus to get around these early vaccines. And even if it takes only six weeks to make a new vaccine, and only several months to get it out to the general population, that's a lot of sick people...
Yup, no doubt about it. I keep hearing how people are so excited that 2020 is almost over and how 2021 will be so much better, as if rolling the calendar is going to change anything.

I had a friend text and ask me what vitamins I was taking to prevent getting COVID. Of course the guy is a borderline ani-vaxer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Meanwhile, my conservative friends are currently harrumphing at me over low flu numbers... and continue going out to meetups with like-minded heretics...

Sounds like blast. In fact we should let the religious guys do what they did during the Black Plague, travel from town to town, have big public meetings and have super spreader events... wait, they already are.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-12-30, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
For right now, let's just call it what it is: The FUD virus v9.3, build75812.

These things come along every few years. Chicken flu, pig flu, monkey flu, cats and mice flu, one flu over the coo coo's nest. Don't get me wrong, it's never good when ~50* of the world's 7.5 billion people die from a minor illness Unspeakable Horrible New Thing®. Never good at all. But hardly an "outbreak". When >1 million die, we know we have a problem. 10 million? Get out your masks. 100 million? The end of the world is coming. That thing that happened a hundred years ago affected a terrifying percentage of the world's population. That was 50 million people dead (estimates rise as high as 100 million) and 500 million were infected, or 1 in every 5 humans alive! Comparing this to that is FUD, and nothing more than FUD. (Remember that SARS—the Deadliest Most Scariest Disease Of All Time—claimed a whopping 800 deaths in 2002-2003, which is just barely 49,999,200 shy of the lowest estimate of the Spanish Influenza outbreak of 1918 to which this Wuhan thing is shamelessly being compared**).

*GASP* 0.000000000133333% of the population has died … IT'S AN OUTBREAK! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Yeah, let's compare 43 to 50,000,000 as if those two numbers bare any reasonable similarity. But, hey, companies that sell face masks have seen their share prices rise, so there's that. Yay, public panic sends rich-people stocks upward! Hmmmmm …

I'm not saying it can't get bad, I'm just saying that as of right now, it's nothing. Not even a drop. So, don't lose any sleep.

*This number will likely change. As of 1/5/2020 at 12:00 PM MST, the number in the article linked above was ~43 dead in China, and ~63 being watched for maybe possibly but not quite sure symptoms in the U.S. I am not providing a link in this footnote because in the internet age, "journalists" revise their numbers directly in linked articles with zero reference to changes, thus it becomes increasingly difficult to refer back to original numbers. The article in question has already been edited multiple times to reflect "current" numbers, rather than numbers as compared to any given point in the past. This is just lazy journalism at best, and scaremongering at worst.

** Of course, if one of your loved ones is among the dead, then percentages do not matter. But, that still does not make Wuhan*** an outbreak. It is likely that more people died from malaria during the time it took me to type this.

***Oooooo, a footnote within a footnote. And, yes, I'm calling this Wuhan until it has an official title.

man... no wonder you looking to silence people who post around here who disagree with you.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-30, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
man... no wonder you looking to silence people who post around here who disagree with you.
Yep. I will admit that I was wrong. My reaction came from years of fear-mongering over every pansy-ass virus that came along, and I got caught up in it. Fortunately, I am learning and doing my best to cope with it.

Unfortunately, you are not learning at all. I warned you via PM to keep your grievance with me in there. You refused, because you are clearly more concerned with drawing attention to yourself than settling your issues like an adult.

Too bad. I did not want to go this route. In fact, I told you that banning you was easy, while working it out was hard, and that I wanted to do it the hard way. You chose the easy way.

Good bye.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
no wonder you [sic] looking to silence people who post around here who disagree with you.
And you know, I was thinking about this part. I think almost everyone in this forum disagreed with me about COVID. Funny that they're not getting banned for it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-12-30 at 17:45.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-30, 13:04

About damn time. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm better than all that. Everyone knows what I think already.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-30 at 13:19.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-12-30, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I had a friend text and ask me what vitamins I was taking to prevent getting COVID.
Vitamin D has been an issue with Covid-19. There's nothing wrong or weird with ensuring your vitamin D levels are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Sounds like blast. In fact we should let the religious guys do what they did during the Black Plague, travel from town to town, have big public meetings and have super spreader events... wait, they already are.
You know those "religious guys" invented hospitals and pioneered the public education system, right?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-12-30, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Vitamin D has been an issue with Covid-19. There's nothing wrong or weird with ensuring your vitamin D levels are okay.

You know those "religious guys" invented hospitals and pioneered the public education system, right?
Well aware, I was one. Due to my post secondary education, at least on paper, I could walk into a church and apply for a job as a pastor. Never will now, but yeah I could. Now I'm just a boring centralist.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-30, 14:29

Colorado isn't sure of it's timeline given confusing data from the feds but today the governor announced they're accelerating their vaccination timetable and moving into the next phase. First responders, hospices and the general public over age 75.

I'm cautiously holding out hope I can get the vaccine by June.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-12-30, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Yep. I will admit that I was wrong. My reaction came from years of fear-mongering over every pansy-ass virus that came along, and I got caught up in it. Fortunately, I am learning and doing my best to cope with it.

Unfortunately, you are not learning at all. I warned you via PM to keep your grievance with me in there. You refused, because you are clearly more concerned with drawing attention to yourself than settling your issues like an adult.

Too bad. I did not want to go this route. In fact, I told you that banning you was easy, while working it out was hard, and that I wanted to do it the hard way. You chose the easy way.

Good bye.

Edit:

And you know, I was thinking about this part. I think almost everyone in this forum disagreed with me about COVID. Funny that they're not getting banned for it.
I’m not privy to Applenuts conversation with you in the PMs, but his outburst here looks like it could/should have been ignored. Yes the conflict is ended but one party is completely satisfied and the other is fuming in his mother’s basement doodling some architectural designs for the death chamber he plans on using on all of us. Which is to say: conflicts aren’t the issue, making things personal is, and I’m not sure the outcome here rises above that on both of your parts...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-30, 18:52

I just got one of those fancy Bluetooth scales. Haven't weighed myself since the pandemic started. It was... not good.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-12-30, 18:55

My weight has been steady but I don’t eat on a schedule and only do so when I’m hungry so this is perhaps understandable...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-12-30, 18:59

I've actually dropped about 10lbs this year. Did 12k minutes on my Peloton in 2020 and got back into lifting. Not going to bars or restaurants helps too.
¡Damned!

2020-12-30, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I just got one of those fancy Bluetooth scales. Haven't weighed myself since the pandemic started. It was... not good.
Dude, I gained 20lbs. just looking at all the delicious food pictures you posted during this thing.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-30, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Dude, I gained 20lbs. just looking at all the delicious food pictures you posted during this thing.
Well if you liked those check out my Christmas eve feast

Braised cherry-pomegranate leg of lamb with baked saffron rice.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-12-30, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I've actually dropped about 10lbs this year. Did 12k minutes on my Peloton in 2020 and got back into lifting. Not going to bars or restaurants helps too.
I also dropped weight this year. Not due to a change in exercise though, I had to make some diet changes due to a medial condition I became aware of in January, after a painful day in emergency.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-30, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
I’m not privy to Applenuts conversation with you in the PMs, but his outburst here looks like it could/should have been ignored. Yes the conflict is ended but one party is completely satisfied and the other is fuming in his mother’s basement doodling some architectural designs for the death chamber he plans on using on all of us. Which is to say: conflicts aren’t the issue, making things personal is, and I’m not sure the outcome here rises above that on both of your parts...
He was warned, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'm down 20 pounds so far, with 10 to go. I've been lifting and am starting to look decent in the mirror for the first time in 20+ years. I even started a thread that no one cares about.

One thing I can say with certainty: I really miss donuts.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2020-12-31, 07:05

So in the 2020 flush we lose applenut? Things already looking up!