Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

When should i buy a MacBook Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When should i buy a MacBook Pro
eulersmethod

Send a message via AIM to eulersmethod  
2006-07-27, 11:36

hi, i am looking to buy my first laptop/notebook computer and i would like to own a MacBook Pro. i have always been a PC person, and this would be my first apple product, but as always before i buy anything i read up on peoples reviews of the product and ive asked around on the web and i keep seeing reports of people having serious problems with their new MacBooks.

the first time i saw the Macbook i fell in love with it, but now i am a little worried and i dont know if i should buy a Macbook now, or wait a couple of months until apple comes out with the new one, along with their release of the 64 bit core 2 duo processor.

i would like some advice, because i wouldnt want to gamble $3k on a computer that might start dying 2 weeks after receiving it.

i am also a bit nervous because if i do buy a MacBook pro and i run into problems, i wouldnt know how to even approach the problem, because i know almost nothing about macs, PC's i can handle, i built my computer and when anything goes wrong i have no problem with make a quick diagnosis and correcting whatever is wrong with it.
macleod
Now in lower-caseā„¢!

2006-07-27, 11:48

I was in a similar situation. I was a PC person and was always able to work on those. You can really learn a lot by asking around and reading around here. I would wait for the MBP to be updated to the Core 2 Duo processors (Merom) and then maybe wait a while into that to make sure there are no reports of problems. I believe that most of the kinks have been worked out though so you should be fine. Basically wait if you can because the new processors are gonna be nice, but if you need it now then get it now! Hope you figure out what you want to do and enjoy your mac when you get it!

EDIT: The new MBP's with the new processors should be out by the September or earlier hopefully (as far as I know).
bikinistud

2006-07-27, 12:47

Basically what macleod said "if you need it now then get it now!" or wait if you can. I was in a similar situation a month ago to decide whether to wait or not and figured I couldn't wait because school (and that ipod promotion) would be up before Core 2 ever got into a MacBook/Pro. If you're not a college student and are not hurting for a Mac (since you haven't had one) then it's better to wait but if you can't, just make sure to get a gig or two of memory!

And as for any problems, the only one I have now is the Palm Rest Discoloration (which will come under warranty hopefully, either that or I should try and clean it) and in that case a Black Macbook or MBP would be your best bet.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-07-27, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinistud
Basically what macleod said "if you need it now then get it now!" or wait if you can. I was in a similar situation a month ago to decide whether to wait or not and figured I couldn't wait because school (and that ipod promotion) would be up before Core 2 ever got into a MacBook/Pro. If you're not a college student and are not hurting for a Mac (since you haven't had one) then it's better to wait but if you can't, just make sure to get a gig or two of memory!

And as for any problems, the only one I have now is the Palm Rest Discoloration (which will come under warranty hopefully, either that or I should try and clean it) and in that case a Black Macbook or MBP would be your best bet.
read this about the palm rest discoloration
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1913
bikinistud

2006-07-27, 13:02

"may finally see some restitution..." Hopefully the "may" will go away but before I can submit it for repair I need to call them up and see the recommended cleaning solution (like the article said) to get a case started.

Fortunately that's the only downside I have found of this mac, which is a good thing!

Please keep signatures to three lines of text or less. See the Posting Guidelines for details.
eulersmethod

2006-07-27, 19:33

ok thanks. i dont need the laptop right away, so i think i will wait a couple of months till the new macbook pro comes out. lets hope they take care of some of those problems before i buy it
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-27, 21:37

You might not have to wait that long. MacBook Pro updates are very likely to occur in 2 weeks at WWDC, considering the chips the new ones will use (Core 2 Duo T series) came out today.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
CrackerJack

Send a message via MSN to CrackerJack Send a message via Yahoo to CrackerJack  
2006-07-28, 05:15

Keep in mind that any major hardware revisions/introductions will always entail it's own bugs. It will take some time before those problems are fixed.

So those 2 weeks of wait for that 'new' MacBook might realistically be a month or more.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-07-28, 07:20

i dont know why people always freak out about bugs when you have a warrenty. just get it and odds are itll run smoothly but if there is a bug, you can always get it taken care of.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
digitalprimate

2006-07-28, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
i dont know why people always freak out about bugs when you have a warrenty. just get it and odds are itll run smoothly but if there is a bug, you can always get it taken care of.
People never make such a fuss about PC-laptops. I somehow wouldn't be as worried either, which I find strange. They always say ignorance is bliss. So when you read up at place like this (which many of us wouldn't have done when looking to buy a PC-laptop - then you read the reviews in magazines or something) you get worried and hesitant.

I think it's something like that...
JayReding

2006-07-28, 10:16

I'd wait until after WWDC. The change to the Core 2 Duo will pretty much entail putting the newer processor in - they use the same socket as the Core Duo so there's no need to do any significant redesigning.

The MBP is a pretty solid machine other than the supposed whining issues. And remember, if it's a serious problem, Apple will fix it for at least the first year (3 if you purchase AppleCare, which I recommend for portables).

Most of the "problems" with the MBP are rare and magnified well out of proportion. After WWDC they should get the Core 2 Duo, and you'd be fine picking one up then.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 10:21

To add to what Jay said, I'll add the obligatory "You don't have to buy AppleCare right away".

While AppleCare is a great investment, don't write it off if you can't afford it right away. I couldn't afford it when I got my new MacBook this week, but I hope to buy it some time in the spring. You have until the 1-year complimentary warranty runs out to buy AppleCare.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-28, 10:28

To reiterate - if any problems come up in the first year, you can get it taken care of. Don't worry about it. Apple is GREAT when it comes to doing repairs. They're fast and painless and if you've got an Apple store near you, there's nothing to worry about. Even if you don't, you'll get a box overnighted to you and it'll be overnighted back.
digitalprimate

2006-07-28, 10:35

^
Absolutely. Packard Bell was/is a nightmare to get support. After you've waited 23 minutes to be served, you need to give your serial number EVERY TIME in order to ask questions. Even if you only want to know the price of an additional laptop battery.
eulersmethod

2006-07-28, 16:44

cool, i am looking very much forward to the new macbook pro. i just read this article http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1917 and i am optimistic about owning my first apple comp in a month or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
To reiterate - if any problems come up in the first year, you can get it taken care of. Don't worry about it. Apple is GREAT when it comes to doing repairs. They're fast and painless and if you've got an Apple store near you, there's nothing to worry about. Even if you don't, you'll get a box overnighted to you and it'll be overnighted back.
yeah i have always heard great things about apple tech support from my mac owning friends. and there is an apple store not too far away from here so i know where to go.

Last edited by eulersmethod : 2006-07-28 at 16:49.