User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

is apple going to allow homebrew games?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
is apple going to allow homebrew games?
halfassed

2006-09-15, 15:23

is apple going to allow homebrew games? I mean it would be cool playing nes games on it, or even half life or doom. Just like the psp. I know there have been games for the ipod in the past on linux but i mean now you wouldnt have to change to os.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-15, 15:27

The NES controller has the d-pad plus four buttons. Half Life and Doom would require even more. They'd also require a much more powerful processor.

How do you propose playing games that require more than a d-pad/spinner and one other button?

Games for the iPod have to be written specifically with the iPod in mind. Most PC games simply wouldn't work well (or at all) with the limited interface options.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
halfassed

2006-09-15, 15:30

both half life and doom can be put on the i pod through the use of linux
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-09-15, 16:10

I've tried playing Doom on the iPod, and let me tell you - it's pretty darn awkward. Not only does it use the scroll wheel and center button; it also uses all the other buttons on the iPod as well, including the hold toggle. In short, it 'works', but doesn't work well at all.
Frisco

2006-09-15, 16:17

I wouldn't bet on it. Remember the Atari? Many people believe that the reason it never really took off was because the amount of crappy homebrew games, by sheer volume, lowered the general appeal of the thing. Just as a rising tide raises all ships, the inverse is also true. Apple is all about quality control, and crappy software, albeit on an elegant interface, is still crappy.

Plus, by restricting the iPod to Apple-produced software they are able to provide the incentive for existing users to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Jerman

2006-09-15, 19:49

Yeah, I ran Doom on my third gen iPod under Linux. All it did was make me feel really cool, but then my friends called me a nerd... So I uninstalled it after I realized how terrible it looked on the screen.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-09-15, 20:07

Plus, they're charging $$ for the games.