AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

VPN - how does it work and what do I need to connect to my work network

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
VPN - how does it work and what do I need to connect to my work network
Partial
Stallion

2009-08-09, 16:53

All,

Each windows laptop at my office comes configured with a Cisco VPN 5.x client. I am one of the lucky souls who has a Mac Pro instead of a Laptop. With that said, I would like to be able to connect to my office from home. With that said, I opened a windows VM, downloaded the windows client available on our network, and found the VPN server.

Is there anything else I need? What is the best client to use for leopard? Are there any tricks of the trade I need to know?

Thanks,
Dan

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Partial
Stallion

2009-08-09, 17:49

I should note the reason why I'm not doing trial and error is I'm at work right now, need to put in about 6 more hours, and would rather not drive home only to have it not work and have to make the long trek back!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-08-09, 18:15

I have used Cisco VPN, and I know they have clients for both. I didn't bother looking for third party, mainly because they insisted on using the clients that can be downloaded from their network and I assume it is so because they've preconfigured so there's no need for end users to mess with settings.

My work is mainly on Windows so doing it in a VM was good enough.

That said, I'd say just to go along with the defaults and whatever the IT ask you to do. Get it working their way, then you can experiment afterward once you know where to find the configurations & have something to go back in case something goes south.