User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Fan noise

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fan noise
smpsn0924

2009-08-13, 15:27

I have had my 20" iMac since Feb. and have had no problems with it, but all of a sudden when I plugged my new mini-dvi to hdmi cable in and hooked it up to my TV the fan started running at a constant speed. I felt the back and it is not hot, which is a surprise because its been very hot before w/ the fan not running this loud before. I don't know if maybe it because we normally keep our house temp around 70 and the last 2 days we had it at 74 because we weren't at home. Any suggestions? Is my computer in danger?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-08-13, 15:33

What did you do with the iMac when you had it hooked up to the TV? If you watched H.264 video (or any video to a lesser extent) the machine will have had to work pretty hard to decode the video. But it's made to do that. Not a problem.

If the fan is still running hard, open Activity Monitor and see if any processes are consuming a large amount of CPU time.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-08-13, 15:36

Yeah, I'd say if that's more than you know how to do, just reboot it and see if the problem persists. If so activity monitor is the best place to start.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Iago

2009-08-13, 15:48

If the fan is running hard and no obvious processes are using it, try archive and install. If that fails to fix it, sounds like a fried sensor
smpsn0924

2009-08-13, 16:03

Well I just turned it back on after posting my original question...no fan noise now. But it is a lot cooler in my house now that we set it lower again. I wonder if it was just used to the cooler temps. There was no obvious lag at all when it was running...I was running a hulu show when it started it. We'll see if it does it again.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-08-13, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpsn0924 View Post
I was running a hulu show when it started it.
Totally normal then. Hulu is a processor monster, like most video sites using Adobe Flash. And if you were watching it full-screen on the TV (or on your Mac, for that matter - it makes no difference) then the video will have to be scaled in software too, which consumes even more CPU power. In these circumstances it is expected that the fans will start puffing pretty hard. They have to do their job to keep the CPU cool while it crunches millions of pixels of video per second.

Your higher-than-usual environmental temperatures will have made a slight impact too, though only slightly.

P.S. You should hear my PowerBook's fans when I'm trying to watch a Hulu video.
Iago

2009-08-13, 17:11

Flash is a nightmare on OS X. I use a plugin blocker just to be able to browse the web without my MBP upping the fans to 6000rpm whenever there's a banner advert.