Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

New Gmail Calendar and Contact Push for iPhone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Gmail Calendar and Contact Push for iPhone
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ronmexico

2009-02-18, 22:53

I didn't see this in any other thread, so I apologize if it is a repeat. Anyhoo...I just tried it out...and it works great! It has the option to turn on "Contacts, Calendar, and Mail." The email feature, however, is not active yet. But it shouldn't be long before a gmail push is available for the iPhone. This is great!
johnny5w

2009-02-19, 01:06

Yeah I'm totally loving the calendar syncing without having to be connected to my computer. I'd really like to sync my contacts through Google, but their contacts don't have as many fields as I utilize, so I rely on Plaxo instead.
Justin

2009-02-20, 09:38

Here is the link to the google sync for iPhone http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/sync.html
Jason
Veteran Member

2009-03-04, 02:11

If I upload all my contacts to Google as instructed, can I then add have my MobileMe calendars and contacts (syncing through address book and iCal) running separately -- or does it have to be one thing or the other?

Regards
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-03-04, 20:36

Hmm...I had already uploaded all my contacts to Google, but when I turned on Google Sync on my iPhone it just erased all my contacts and didn't grab anything from the Google cloud
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-04, 21:02

So the iPhone is basically catching up to the G1?
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
But it shouldn't be long before a gmail push is available for the iPhone. This is great!
Sweet . I'm thinking about getting one when the next generation comes out, hopefully it's available by then.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-03-05, 06:35

And MobileMe sales plummet...
Jason
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 07:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
The email feature, however, is not active yet. But it shouldn't be long before a gmail push is available for the iPhone. This is great!
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8b6d49b5&hl=en

Regards
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-03-06, 06:27

Got it to work. This is really nice!

Question: It seems the iPhone will only sync the main calendar in Gmail. If you make any others, I don't see a way to tell the iPhone about them. For iCal, you can subscribe via the private address for each calendar and then it shows up...but you can't subscribe to calendars in this manner on the iPhone.

Do you guys use only the main calendar to avoid this problem?

Also, not a big deal, but it seems the iPhone does not import the calendar color from Gmail.
ronmexico

2009-03-06, 07:56

The way I use my google calendar: my wife has her own gmail account separate from mine. You can create a 'central' gcalendar that is a consolidation of multiple gmail accounts. So when she updates an event on her schedule, it shows up on my calendar and vice versa. My iPhone does recognize this and will push her data as well as mine. In terms of multiple unconsolidated accounts, I am not sure.

This is still beta, so your observation could be in the works.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-03-06, 08:10

For now I've just lumped everything into one calendar and I think it makes more sense than the way I was doing it otherwise. The only nice thing about my method was a quick visual distinction between the type of activity from the color of the calendar which it came from.

But the responsiveness of the pushing between all devices for contacts and calendar is much faster and more reliable than MobileMe has been for the past 6 months.
johnny5w

2009-03-06, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Got it to work. This is really nice!

Question: It seems the iPhone will only sync the main calendar in Gmail. If you make any others, I don't see a way to tell the iPhone about them. For iCal, you can subscribe via the private address for each calendar and then it shows up...but you can't subscribe to calendars in this manner on the iPhone.

Do you guys use only the main calendar to avoid this problem?

Also, not a big deal, but it seems the iPhone does not import the calendar color from Gmail.
If you go to http://m.google.com/sync on your iPhone you can specify which of your calendars you want to sync with your phone (5 max: your default calendar plus 4 others).
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-03-06, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5w View Post
If you go to http://m.google.com/sync on your iPhone you can specify which of your calendars you want to sync with your phone (5 max: your default calendar plus 4 others).
Thanks for that post, it worked

I think a good place to start for anyone who wants to do all this Google/Mac/Phone syncing this is here:

http://www.google.com/sync/mac.html

Now, let's see some Push email

Last edited by MBHockey : 2009-03-06 at 15:55.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-08-17, 09:49

Has anyone seen this program called Gpush http://itunes.com/app/GPush ?

Apparently you set it up one time and you get your Gmail pushed through. It costs $0.99, but if it works like it should, then that's nothing.

The reviews are either 1 star or 5 star so I was going to ask if anyone here has got it yet and get some first hand reviews.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Partial
Stallion

2009-08-17, 18:47

What do you guys use GCal for? Does it have exchange integration? I'm looking for a way to avoid entourage and outlook.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-08-17, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Has anyone seen this program called Gpush http://itunes.com/app/GPush ?

Apparently you set it up one time and you get your Gmail pushed through. It costs $0.99, but if it works like it should, then that's nothing.

The reviews are either 1 star or 5 star so I was going to ask if anyone here has got it yet and get some first hand reviews.
I ended up buying Pushmail. It's $4.99 but it works great and it allows you to have push mail for gmail. The app sets up a push email address for you and you set up your gmail account to forward a copy to it and it pops up like a text message which is really nice and will make life easier.

@yontsey
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2009-09-22, 16:38

Bump!

http://www.macworld.com/article/1429...?lsrc=rss_main

Theoretically it's up and running (Gmail push). I've tried setting it up... But it doesn't seem to work particularly well.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-22, 17:32

That's why I use Yahoo! Mail. I've had push from day one (with unlimited space! Gmail's is basically unlimited, but still) with no problems. And it really is instantaneous. I've tested it

Gmail has a nicer web interface, but if it's pushed to your phone, do you really care?

If Gmail Push works really well, though, I think I'll switch. My college is using Gmail for student emails, and Google is less evil.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2009-09-22, 18:00

Hm. I'm getting push emails now, about a minute of delay from sending them to getting it on my phone.

Perhaps it was just setup lag?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-09-22, 19:23

Does it offer a badge that pops up like a text message? I actually bought PushMail through the app store and it gives you Push in a round about way, but it works great and has a nice badge that pops up whenever you get an email.

Edit: It does not offer a badge popup but it works very snappy. I sent a test email and got it almost instantly. I wish you could set up more then one though.

@yontsey
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2009-09-29, 09:34

Worked like a charm for me!

I do have a question about the calendar tho..... when I turned on that tab, it asked/told me that "if I keep my current calendars on the iPhone, I may see duplicate entries."

Anybody have advice on this? I'd like to try it, but really don't want the hassle of double entries.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-09-29, 09:38

I had some troubles the first two days that it was available but it's been rock solid since. I get email updates within the minute it's sent.

<3 google
Noel

2009-09-29, 11:11

For those of you who have switched to this method, once you set up Gmail as an exchange account on your iPhones, have messages you delete been going to the "All Mail" folder, as if you were archiving them from the Gmail web interface, or are they actually getting deleted. I'd like to set it up, but only if messages are getting archived rather than deleted.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2009-09-29, 22:57

I think they are deleting. But you can archive. That is just a different "click" so to speak.
Noel

2009-09-30, 00:41

You mean doing a "Move to Folder -> All Mail" type thing? The only problem with that is the times that I forget, and completely delete a message, which wouldn't be hard since I've become so accustomed to tapping the trashcan or swiping and deleting emails to archive them.
CitizenTony

2009-09-30, 00:55

I think that with the Exchange setup, Google has the delete function set to send the message to the archive folder. I stuck with IMAP because of that as I don't see the need to archive every message I get and would rather delete them forever.
Jason
Veteran Member

2009-10-06, 23:53

Has anyone else had trouble with push email the last few days?.
Mine was fine initially, but it's since become completely useless with mail sometimes arriving an hour later and often six or seven emails at once.

I'm really surprised at how flaky it is. Ok, Google will say it's a free service but if it doesn't work properly - who cares?

Charge a fee if necessary So that at least it will be a reliable service.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2009-10-07, 13:05

Only I've noticed since yesterday is that mail is getting to my phone before I see it on the laptop! But only by a minute or so...
mariatamis

2009-11-03, 07:18

Hey Justin,
Myself Maria.thanks for that link it is quite useful for me because i have iphone now i will install on it.and will enjoy this application.thanks for sharing with us here.keep it up.

Thank you.