Rich

2005-04-05, 22:10

This is what I get when I try to open this certain file
http://img150.exs.cx/img150/5769/error0qm.jpg
Im on OS X 10.2.8. What should I do?
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2005-04-05, 22:26

i'd been meaning to ask this same question. i'm on 10.3.8 and get that message with .avi files as well. quicktime should support these, right?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-05, 22:27

Try using VLC instead to play that file.

There are a lot of third-party codecs (compression/decompression engines) that are not part of the default QuickTime installation. Examples include DivX, XviD, 3ivx, Indeo, and various others.

You could try to figure out just which codec you need and install it or you could try an "all-in-one" app like VLC that'll play it independently. VLC and MPlayer include a variety of these third-party codecs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-04-06, 00:01

Added a post to Genius Bar on this since it comes up every now and then, and didn't see a post on it yet.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...632#post182632
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-04-06, 00:16

I've found that the majority of .avi issues Quicktime runs into are caused by .mp3 audio tracks. Unfortunately the only way to solve this is to buy DivX Pro with the .mp3 audio playback component.

The future is tomorrow!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-06, 00:38

Ack! Don't waste your money!!

If you insist on playing them in QuickTime Player, run the files through the FREE DivX Doctor to clean up the audio track and use the FREE 3ivx codec for playback in QuickTime. Otherwise, play them in one of the FREE players I mentioned above (VLC or MPlayer).

Total cost: $0.
Compatibility: %100.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-04-06, 01:05

On a side note, thanks for reminding me about Family Guy. I gotta watch those episodes again.
Rich

2005-04-06, 17:44

Still doesnt play... anything else?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2005-04-06, 17:58

If it doesn't work with VLC or Mplayer, your file is most likely hosed. The only think I can recommend is Windows media player (I know, sucks) if that file is actually a .wmv that was renamed as .mpg.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Rich

2005-04-06, 19:25

Oh wait VLC works! wow thanks a lot
Is there anyway to change the file format though? because I could play it in VLC but I cant import to final cut express

Last edited by Rich : 2005-04-06 at 20:14.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-04-06, 21:19

I have a really large collection of DVD's that I have put onto a network drive that I have been using various media players on my XP machines. Most of the files are Xvid and Divx. I am using VLC and MPlayer on the Mac trying to find which player is my favorite since QuickTime doesn't support either.

My question stems from a salesman at the Apple Store who told me I could rip my DVD's into MPEG4 for use with QuickTime and it would be a clearer video and better quality overall. How do I go about doing this? I am not using any of the MS type software that came with my Mac since I'm really trying to remove myself from the paradigm I have put myself in with WinXP. So I'm trying to get these changed (re-ripped) into a QT format that I would still be able to use on all my systems.

Since this is for personal use there is no copyright issues here and I don't distribute them so please don't give me a Anti-P2P response. I have found it to be much easier to have all my movies on the LAN instead of getting the DVD's. Plus, I can allow my daughter to access only the movies that are appropriate for her. (Side note: I have a home grown "Media Center" [WinXP Home] instead of regular TV.)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2005-04-07, 01:21

The easiest way to Rip a DVD is to use handbrake. Pop in your DVD, and click rip. You are not saving much time by converting a Xvid to MPEG-4 than a DVD to MPEG-4.

Rich: You could try DropDV or FFMPEG if you know what you are doing.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET