Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Possible to disable Autosleep?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Possible to disable Autosleep?
jconant

2004-07-15, 19:57

Hey gals and guys,

I was just wondering if it were (and in fact still is) possible to change some settings somewhere so that my Powerbook (G4 1ghz) dosnt atuomatically go to sleep. You may be wondering why I want to 'disable' this feature. Its just that when I go on road trips, I bring my PowerBook so I can listen to the music on it. Im forced though to leave it open and therefore more vulnerable though. Any help out there?
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-07-15, 20:52

In the system prefs look for energy saver. There should be an option in there.

However it sound like you want to run 'clamshell' - running with the lid closed. Never done it but I think you can just plug in a mouse and it will wake up your machine with the lid closed...

No doubt I will be rebutted if incorrect

EDIT: I did find this link that does not look too good

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Last edited by _Ω_ : 2004-07-15 at 21:05.
jconant

2004-07-15, 21:31

hmm. The link is sort of helpful I guess. Not really for the car at all though. Hmpf. Also, there is no option in energy saver for it. I can have it turn the display off, but that isnt what I need (entirely). Thanks though.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-15, 23:07

There is a slider bar that says put the comp to sleep when it is inactive for... in the energy saver section of the system prefs. Just slide the little arrow to never.

edit: You can adjust the sleeping for when u are using the power adapter and the battery seperately. Its one of the pull down tabs above the slider bars
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-07-16, 04:40

If you look on versiontracker for an app called sleepless this might also do what you are after, though the reviews tended to be a bit mixed....
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-16, 06:13

Wow, I've been looking for something like that.
expanderdesign

2004-07-18, 10:28

As far as I know, the only way to run a PB with the screen closed is to shut down your laptop, hook up an Apple keyboard (with a power button) and a mouse, and use the keyboard power button to boot up. (Often refered to as using the PB as a "slave"). Problem: no GUI since you have to keep your PB closed. This setup requires a monitor.

The software plug in is probably your best bet.