Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Travel advice?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Travel advice?
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2007-01-24, 14:37

Where do you look for information about trips? I find many sources for trip information focus on where the greatest Hard Rock is. I would rather see reviews and tips on enjoying natural beauty, where to rent a bike and ride, the favorite local spot to shop for records and such.

I know lonely planet and the forums there are a good source of information, do you folks know of anything else?

I like the Moon books because I get lost easily and they have great maps, but they only cover so many locations.

If anyone has any ideas of what to do in Tallahassee starting tomorrow until mid next week, let me know.

Edit: oh yeah and don't mind my title

Last edited by hiltond : 2007-01-24 at 14:48.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-01-24, 14:58

I thoroughly reccommend Trip Advisor; it helped me choose the hotel I've booked for my trip next week.

Wikitravel is also quite good; however, beware some blatant adverts in the section about hotels.

It's pretty much standard stuff though, and not off-the-beaten-path, which is what you're looking for I guess.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-01-24, 15:18

My best experience in finding that sort of "out of the way" stuff is by talking to people who have been there/are from there and actually calling up the area's Chamber of Commerce. I've found great out of the way local restaurants and day-trip type things from various Chambers. It's worth a shot.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2007-01-24, 15:26

When traveling I like to see what it might be like to live where I am going. Especially this time as I am thinking about it. I can't do that in a few days, but I can get an idea.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-08-12, 13:37

I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd just dig this one up from the grave.

I'm planning on going on a trip in about a month with my gf and we're driving down to Charleston, SC to see her sister and brother-in-law for a few days. After that, we're then driving down to Savannah, GA, and planning on staying at the Marshall House because we're both into haunted places and not to mention that it looks beautiful. We will be spending two nights there, tuesday to thursday, and then heading to Nashville after that for three nights. We were planning on staying at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, but then I realized it was a decent little hike from downtown and we want to be able to walk from the hotel to country/jazz/blues bars at night and walk around downtown during the day. Now we're planning on staying at the Sheraton in downtown Nashville.

I was looking to see if anyone had any exciting things to do or must-see things in Nashville and Savannah. One thing I'm doing for sure, is going to Paula Deens restaurant while I'm in Savannah. I miss southern cooking.

I'm open for suggestions. Just trying to get some ideas first hand on things and places.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-08-12, 17:27

Mother of all bumps!

Re: Nashville I'd say a Predators game but that won't happen until early October.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-08-12, 17:50

Use the "Trip Advisor" suggestion from the above post, for wherever you're planning to go. Always a good place to start.