Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Some info needed about DVD -/+ R

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Some info needed about DVD -/+ R
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-03-31, 22:28

Ok two things i need help on. First, at work we burn the original copy of a video to dvd-R, then for all multiples we have a DVD duplicator but it only burns +R. This has never been an issue before today, it read the -R and burned the +R. But today it read the -R but when it spat out the burnt +R the DVD's would only play in a Mac, not a PC or consumer DVD player. The DVD's are burnt through DVD Pro, on a dual 2ghz powermac. Any help on that?

And second, we were told today that DVD +R are the format to use now. We were told that most DVD players will now read +R. I was under the impression that -R were the ones to write to to maintain the best chance of playing on DVD players. Thanks for the help!
T
flail

2005-03-31, 22:36

I can help with the second one... I'm pretty confident of this but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Most (the vast majority) of DVD players on the market today play both. +R and -R have virtually the same compatability.

I do think you're right that -R has slightly more players that "officially" support it, but both sides twist the numbers so it's hard to know either way. Bottom line, with current players you should be safe with either +R or -R.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-31, 22:45

Who told you to go to +R?
I would guess that since -R is more compatible now, it will remain more compatible for a while.

If your discs don't play, they're wasted. Stick with what works for the most clients.
I'd suggest that remains -R for now, but it depends where your core client platforms are.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-03-31, 23:59

It was actually the IT department here that told us. I have to wait till monday to test with a more reputable brand to see if that fixes the problem. Fingers crossed.