AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Why is a " so hard?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why is a " so hard?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 14:47

I mean really. Why make it so it looks like what you want but if it is there your code won't work? It is like text editors are trying to torture me and make me hate coding even more.

I just found why a redirect I have wasn't working:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url= https://forums.applenova.com” />
It is REALLY obvious in the forum here, but nowhere else was it obvious.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-04-30, 17:39

Pick a font for your text editor that distinguishes clearly. I like Anonymous Pro or Source Code Pro. Monospaced, clear character distinctions between the usual confusion points (1/l/i/I, O/0, etc) and designed for clear layout to reflect flow.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 17:59

I think what ends up biting me is when I use TextEditor for a "quick change" and it does that smart quote thing. On a PC I use Notepad++ and never have the issue. It was built for coding and such with syntax and all.

On the Mac I don't have a quick go to. I mean, I have Coda... but it isn't quick. I try to remember to set Text Editor to default to Plain Text but that clearly doesn't always work. It is just one thing about coding I hate, those stupid quotes.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-01, 00:08

When I paste into Coda it automagically converts you straight quotes (I think??) and isn't it quick enough??

Seriously... I know that I'm facing a big software transition later this year when the new MBPs are released. My old original Coda will be going out the window

Hoping to remember that tip about fonts as well!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-05-01, 20:24

Do you mean TextEdit?

My go to is still TextMate2, but I will admit to being seduced by alternatives.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-01, 20:53

Yeah. I did a horrible job convert thing. I was thinking "Mac's default Text Editor" and just forgot to fix it after posting.

Anyway, I'll check out TextMate2 and see how I like it. I used TextWrangler there for a while but I think it was abandoned and it wasn't "simple" for those basic changes.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-03, 03:34

* laughs in IDE *

Code:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Warning HTML0005 If this attribute value is enclosed in quotation marks, the quotation marks must match. %temp%\~vs7366.html 6
(Also, the remainder of the code is syntax-highlighted differently than what you'd expect, making it more obvious.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-03, 08:20

I use IDE but only occasionally and that is for PS when working on scripts for my servers at work. I don't know that I've been that error before, but then again there I'm using Notepad++ and just don't end up with the messed up smart quote thing.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-16, 15:32

I think the root of the problem is mostly that the computing industry as a whole has settled on neither the degree to which Unicode should be preferred over ASCII, nor the best way to input Unicode characters. For user-facing stuff, you can at least usually spell your name correctly in text fields such as the one I’m typing this post in now. Support is inconsistent, though, especially when it comes to how Unicode is displayed. It’s pretty easy to find àçëñtėd characters in iOS and macOS (at least if you have key repeats turned off), but there’s no real cross-platform standard for it — no “QWERTY, but for special characters” layout that we can all agree on. And even if there was, do you think the general populace would rather have two different keys for “ and ”, or do you think it more likely that they’d want a single " key and have the OS/editor figure out which one was meant? Fundamentally, our keyboards are inadequate to the task (especially when you consider that there’s so much more to Unicode than just putting accents over otherwise ASCII characters), and neither MS nor Apple has the courage to take the first step WRT updating their keyboard requirements and hardware.

Of course, in the specific case this thread is about, it’d certainly be possible for language maintainers to add support for converting “ and ” to ", but then they’d have to decide whether to do a straight conversion or if they should require matching pairs (is “string“ or ”string" ok, or does it have to be “string” or "string"), and heaven help us if all the major languages don’t agree on which way is correct. I suspect that the language maintainers don’t consider it a big enough problem to worry about. There have been some interesting threads about Unicode over on the Swift evolution forums, but I don’t recall any that specifically deal with smart quotes.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 15:58

The lack of unity across this front is one of the things that really annoyed me the most and what stops me from really getting into coding at all. Spaces or tabs? White space matters... no it doesn't. I'm good with bash scripting so that is generally what I stick with.

I use TextMate now on my Mac to "clean up" my quotes and such so I don't have that problem. Still working with Notepad++ on my PC VMs.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-17, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The lack of unity across this front is one of the things that really annoyed me the most and what stops me from really getting into coding at all. Spaces or tabs? White space matters... no it doesn't. I'm good with bash scripting so that is generally what I stick with.

I use TextMate now on my Mac to "clean up" my quotes and such so I don't have that problem. Still working with Notepad++ on my PC VMs.
“Tabs” vs “spaces” doesn’t matter if you don’t store the source code as plaintext and let the editor sort it out.

Of course, people would decry the dangers of having source code stored in some binary encoding, but, by and large, those people forget that “plaintext” is itself a binary encoding. A simple one, true, but the fact remains that “a” is stored as “01100001”, not as “a”.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.