Spring media event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spring media event
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-21, 07:53

I also just realized how this moves the AppleTV closer to being a very capable gaming console. I might have to see what pairing an Xbox controller to it is like playing games on it... bet yet I'l have my son do it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-21, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
My understanding is that each device on a 'Thread' (basically a mesh network for your home) makes the network stronger and more reliable, as each acts as its own node, but all connected to the meshiness. Someone can probably explain it better than I.
I get the meshiness. What I don't get is why this is called 'Thread' and not 'Threading'.

'An Apple TV with Thread.' Does no one care about words anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It also means people who don't want a speak/mic in their home (Frank777),....
Just to be clear, I do have rooms in my house where devices have mics and cameras. I just don't want my house overrun with a bunch of hardly noticed and eminently hackable devices listening and watching almost everywhere. Between known government and business privacy threats, I don't think that's even close to paranoia.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-21, 17:13

Quote:
I also just realized how this moves the AppleTV closer to being a very capable gaming console.
How so?
pscates2.0
Mr. Katan

2021-04-21, 17:40

BTW, unless I missed it, I have to give Apple props for resisting any silly-ass 420 jokes/references yesterday. Had it been a live, on-stage event, you know good and well Craig Federighi would’ve made one.

Hey, mannnn...

DISCLAIMER: I missed the opening 5-10 minutes (and bailed after the iMac unveiling) so if Tim or some other employee did, I missed it.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-04-21, 17:41

I saw none.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-21, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
'An Apple TV with Thread.' Does no one care about words anymore?
No. Everyone also says “write an e-mail”. Makes no sense, but here we are.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
How so?
Processing power alone. Even the previous 4K lags with certain applications as it is now. Beefing up the processor gives far more abilities and enhanced display options. The processor is now the same(ish) one that is in my iPad Pro. So think of how amazing games "looked on iPad Pro" form the demos, they will now be able to look like that on your 4K TV.

No it isn't Xbox X or PS5, but still it is a huge move forward.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-22, 16:07

Quote:
Processing power alone. Even the previous 4K lags with certain applications as it is now. Beefing up the processor gives far more abilities and enhanced display options. The processor is now the same(ish) one that is in my iPad Pro. So think of how amazing games "looked on iPad Pro" form the demos, they will now be able to look like that on your 4K TV.

No it isn't Xbox X or PS5, but still it is a huge move forward.
Yeah, using the A12 Bionic means the gaming experience is consistent from the low-end of the iPad, the iPhone, Mac and AppleTV.

I guess if they'd truly wanted to rival the Xbox SX and PS5, they'd need to use the M1.
But it will clearly be a few years before that happens.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-27, 08:31

I was all excited to do the color calibration on my media room TV only to find it didn't need it. I mean, at least it was already good... but that was a shock given it is a cheap <$300 TLC on the wall in there with an Apple TV 4K.

I was kinda hoping it would be something different so I would feel justified in going through the calibration process. I'm going to try one of my Samsungs next and see how they handle it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-04-27 at 08:57.