AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Financially Viable

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Financially Viable
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-02-19, 16:01

Someone has offered me an emac for £300 (about $550) - 1.25, 1gig ram, 10.3.5 Panther, 40GB, Mac:Office, games (walfenstein, call of duty, world of warcraft 3), WiFi, and the stand. I personally think this is good, and I hear the eMacs run surprisingly fast, specially with more ram. So I think I will buy.
Thing is, I also have a centrino laptop. This is nice as well. So what should I do...should I sell the laptop or do people find a use for both a PC and a Mac in their lives? Cheers.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-02-19, 16:24

Sure, people can find a use for both. For example, I use my Mac to do stuff on computers, and I use my PC to get rid of those annoying static charges before working on my Mac.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-19, 19:42

Yeah, I'd definitely buy. That's about the same price as the Mac mini range, and while the eMac does have less GHz than the mini, it also has more RAM, a screen, and software too. It's a good deal.
scrouds

2006-02-19, 20:25

i love having the combo of a laptop and a desktop. It just works for me.
jevau

2006-02-19, 23:13

thats a pretty nice deal, so i say go for it. i use a PowerBook for on the go and a home built Windows box at my desk. both have all the apps and power i need, but i definately favor the mac! you shouldn't have any problems
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-02-19, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by farenheit
Someone has offered me an emac for £300 (about $550) - 1.25, 1gig ram, 10.3.5 Panther, 40GB, Mac:Office, games (walfenstein, call of duty, world of warcraft 3), WiFi, and the stand. I personally think this is good, and I hear the eMacs run surprisingly fast, specially with more ram. So I think I will buy.
Thing is, I also have a centrino laptop. This is nice as well. So what should I do...should I sell the laptop or do people find a use for both a PC and a Mac in their lives? Cheers.
I also have a Windows-based laptop and a Mac desktop. While my laptop is great on the go, I still use my Mac almost all the time at home.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-20, 16:15

Go for it! I heart the eMac.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-02-21, 15:10

sorry this is probs really stupid, but you dont need an airport to use a airport extreme card do you? I thought they could be used witrh any wireless point, such as a netgear one. Am I wrong?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-02-21, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by farenheit
sorry this is probs really stupid, but you dont need an airport to use a airport extreme card do you? I thought they could be used witrh any wireless point, such as a netgear one. Am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong. You can use them with whatever brand of access point you want. It just has to be 802.11b/g.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-02-21, 17:06

thanks. I thought so, I just didnt want to sound like a complete n00b! I am quite computer litterate but with a buying decision you dont want to get it and find it doesnt work! Is there some kind of chapel around here where you go to get mac-baptised or anything?